St Oswalds Wybourn

Any ex-pupils of St. Oswald's School Wybourn out there? Are you nostalgic? We have just designed and printed a new tribute book, old photos (some colour), teachers & pupils stories etc. Available from the school secretary, or email me: martin1print@yahoo.com for details. The old school is about to be demolished and merged into a new school on the same site.

i went to St. Oswalds in 1968 to 1974. The headmistress was Miss Finnegan and she was scary i thought. Mr. Hodges came when I was in junior 4 and I liked him more. Miss Brufton was my favourite teacher in that school.

I used to go there, great memories. Mr Neil was our head teacher then. Great guy and brilliant school. Can't believe the schools changed so much, looks more like a prison camp now..... how very sad :confused:

I also went here and left in 1996, absolutely loved it. Don't like the new school though, it's too clinical! Mr Neale was also head when I was there, then Mrs Tyas.

Hi, I,m new to the forum just wondering if any ex pupils of St Oswalds, Wybourn, are around. All must be coming up to retirement or have already retired now. Living on the Wybourn at that time was good I believe it changed later. Not been back for many years hoping to visit soon.

Hi

i know my dad went to St Oswalds around that time.

His name is Michael Middleton. He passed away a couple of years ago aged 69.

My mum is off the Wybourn. Her name then was Barbara Hogg. She had two sisters

Jean & Linda, also a brother called John. I think they lived on Maltravers Road.

Hi, sorry to hear of your loss, losing your Dad must have hurt so much. I can't remember him as I was in a much lower class starting school in 1952 at 4 years old but living on the Wybourn at that time was good, a good community spirit. My grandad (his name was Sykes) lived on Boundary Road he was a miner, we lived on Southend Place at my maternal grandma's. Thanks for the information I will try to recall other pupils who lived nearby.

I came across this thread and it took me back to happy days at st oswalds in the late 50's early 60's I remember all the teachers, cooks and care taker. It was a great time. Be great to hear from others.

Great to hear from former students from st oswalds. Miss Finnegan was head in my time (late 50's early 60's) and quite by chance I met Keith Neale (former head) in my adult years and we still see him as a family friend. Mrs Brufton was a real scary character when I was in her class, she seamed to hate me and i was always on the wrong side of her but I always liked her!

Hi glad to know you went to St Oswalds. I remember it being a very happy time. Most of the teachers had a good reputation but some not good at all! Like you I can recall all the teachers and other members of staff. Did you live on the Wybourn? Look forward to hearing about your memories.

I grew up on the Wybourn and had a very happy childhood there, i went on to St Pauls after St Oswalds. Most of my friend went to Wybourn School. There was a character about the place back then, may still be the same today but I left the Wybourn many years ago but I still look back with nostalgia... how about you?

I grew up on the Wybourn and had a very happy childhood there, i went on to St Pauls after St Oswalds. Most of my friend went to Wybourn School. There was a character about the place back then, may still be the same today but I left the Wybourn many years ago but I still look back with nostalgia... how about you?

Good to hear you have fond memories of the old days on the Wybourn, like you I left the Wybourn many years ago but I continued at St Oswalds and later attended St Pauls. From your comments I believe I'm older than you as my year were the last senior class from St Oswalds around 1962 aged 14. I lived at Southend Place, Wybourn just a couple of minutes away. Do you remember Susan Dobson or her sister Julia? I was in the same class as Melvyn, elder brother of Susan And Julia. Most of my class mates had younger siblings perhaps you knew some of them! Hope you can recall some mutual friends.