Abbeydale Grammar School for Girls

Yes, a few of us are still around but it seems that not many are on the net. I attended there from 1944 to 1949 & so far have only been able to catch up with 1/2 doz. former pupils.

Sent you a pm sydneygirl. I think I can remember all the girl's names from Lydgate Lane junior school who took the 11 plus in 1954 and I'm sure a few went to Abbeydale.

'Yes, a few of us are still around but it seems that not many are on the net.'

Surprise surprise. Fancy meeting you here Gosling!Would be nice to have more people we know find this site!

Edited by eileent
Not finished message

Can you think of any way to encourage them to come forward. Nice to meet you here eileent

Gosling,will mull it over but not optimistic I will come up wi' owt

Hello! I'm new to this forum and found this thread when searching for information about my mother, Jean Brunton. She must have left Abbeydale about 1941 - I have her nursing certificate that says she graduated after 3 years in 1944. She told me little about her school days except she was captain of the cricket team? Does any one remember her? Is there any archive material one can access? Yours in hope, Karen.:help:

Karen

I am tracing family history and my mother-in-law, Jean Robinson (née Bailey), has stayed with us for Christmas; she brought with her some family photos for me to scan. Among them is a photo of her class at Abbeydale Grammar School taken just before she left at age 16 to join the WRNS in 1944. On the back are the signatures of her classmates including the signature of Jean Brunton. Contact me if you would like a copy. Regards, David

Thats awesome! :)

I would love to have a copy. My email is karentrinder@googlemail.com, if you could send it as an attachment I would be delighted (both sides if you can)

Does your mum in law remember my Mum at all? Any good stories?

I really look forward to your reply,

Karen

gosling.

Bit overdue in stating I went to Abbeydale from l942 till 1947. My first headmistress was a Miss.Mulley. A very elegant lady who used to arrive in a taxi every morning.She retired and went somewhere down south where \if my memory serves me right, she was murdered. She was followed by the awesome Dr.Green a nasty surprise to us all after the ladylike Miss.Mulley!Misses.Morris, Partridge,Pullen Brookes are the mistresses that come to mind.

Best wishes,

Jeanwiljean.

jean.wilson33@btinternet.com:

Hello! You are a bit younger than my Mum was, so you did not overlap with her, she left in 1941. Unfortunately I dis not ask her about teachers before she died. Anyway, thanks for your reply. I am sure it will help some researcher out there eventually.

Jeanwiljean,

If the daughter of Katherine Kirk reads this, my e.mail to her mother was refused. She gave me the e.mail number as katherinekirk@talktalk.net but this isn,t getting me through.

Quite disappointed as I looked forward to getting in touch. Hope we can rectify this.

Best wishes. Jean Wilson nee Russell. l942 intake.

I had two friends who went there a little later, maybe 1951/52, Jean Biddles and Margarete Wheelhouse. Wonder where they are now ?.

I am searching for anyone who attended Abbeydale in the years 1944 to 1949. It seems strange that none of them are members of the forum, surely some of them are still alive.

My first girl friend, Vera Davies, went to Abbeydale. In 1951 we studied for our ''O' levels together & before going to school each morning, I went to High Storrs, we used to cycle to Millhouses open air swimming pool for a swim before going to school to sit our exams.