Has there ever been a prison in Sheffield?

But charlie was the last man to be hung in ARMLEY

You see the gallows in armley prison were taken down after charlie was hung and moved from one side of the prison to the other.

the gallows were near the hospital after charlie the gallows were moved to near the prison kitchen.

the part of the prison that the gallows were orginally in was in the ARMLEY district and when they moved the gallows they were in fact situated in the district of WORTLEY so therefore charlie was the last man to be hung in ARMLEY

But charlie was the last man to be hung in ARMLEY

You see the gallows in armley prison were taken down after charlie was hung and moved from one side of the prison to the other.

the gallows were near the hospital after charlie the gallows were moved to near the prison kitchen.

the part of the prison that the gallows were orginally in was in the ARMLEY district and when they moved the gallows they were in fact situated in the district of WORTLEY so therefore charlie was the last man to be hung in ARMLEY

Can you show us where you got this information ? The gallows were moved in 1950 some 70 years after the execution of Charlie peace.

Can you show us where you got this information ? The gallows were moved in 1950 some 70 years after the execution of Charlie peace.

certainly I can tell you where I got the information from

If you ever go into Leeds Prison as it is now known, there is a book that that records all the events that are related to Leeds Prison it contains all the details. This book is in the prison library and it as far as I am aware never as been in the public domain, so if you want to see it you may have a problem unless you get six months.

The book was available in 1977 and I have no knowledge that it still exists that was the last time I saw the book

I have knowledge of the movement of the gallows in the 1950s when the location was moved from one side of the kitchen corridor to the other a distance of approx 10 metres.

this was done to allow a extension to the reception area of the prison to be built.

nothing remains of the condemend cell and the gallows I believe they demolished around 1990 when the kitchen moved to a new location within the prison.

Many people were hanged at Armley prison after Charles Peace. The last one was on 29/6/1961 his name was Zsiga Pankotia and the hangman was Harry Allen.

There is loads of information on the net to support what i say. No prison records have ever been kept in the prison library and available to inmates. Many people were hanged in Armley after peace. You have admitted im right once, now you come back with another story of which there is no proof whatsoever. At the very least you are splitting hairs. As this is a public forum we will have to agree to disagree.

has there ever been a prison in sheffield ?

I believe you mean he court house building I beleive in the past this was the town hal before being converted to a court so it may well be the case however it was never a prison . only eight cells are underneth this building and are primarly only holding cells for the prisoners being brought to court. entry was a small door down the lane where the hen and chickens are situated. not actually a prison

believe or not no hot water was available on tap right up to the day they closed

that's the one.

I worked at the Court House in 1968, and the caretaker once gave me a "conducted tour" of the basement. It was a labyrinth of dank corridors with whitewashed walls and flagstone floors. There were several old cells that, to a 19 year-old, resembled medieval dungeons. I half-expected seeing heavy iron manacles chained to the wall, a fully-functioning rack, or a chopping block with a black-hooded executioner in attendance. These were the old police cells, access to which was from Water Lane as Ricky36 wrote. After many twists and turns I had lost all sense of direction but I was told that there were more blocked-off tunnels that had been used in Victorian times, and which had led to different parts of the complex. One of them was rumoured to go all the way under Angel Street. My grandfather always referred to the Court House building as "the old town hall", as this is what it was until 1897 when the "new town hall" (as Grandad called it) was built.

sorry but in the fifties is was a home for the mentally retarded it as never been a borstal as far as I personally remember it as always had connections with mental patients

...and it was as long ago as 1939, at least, as that year's Kelly's Directory referred to it as "City of Sheffield Institution for Mental Defectives"

sorry but in the fifties is was a home for the mentally retarded it as never been a borstal as far as I personally remember it as always had connections with mental patients

I'l back up your comment about Hollow Meadows.

When I nursed, in the 1980's, back in my able-bodied days, many of my patients were what was termed back then as "Mentally Handicapped" (learning difficulties).

When HM closed down, many of HM's patients were dispersed across the city to residential hospitals/ units such as Lightwood, St Joseph's, Rivermeade, Grenoside etc. Quite a few of my patients were formerly at HM.

not quite sure on the actual year I may be a couple out but borstals were not brought into use until around 1934 the first one being in a small village near ROCHESTER IN KENT funny enough the village was called Borstal and the name was taken from this.

a couple of years after this approx 100 borstal boys were marched from kent to a place in Lincolnshire called Freiston just outside Boston and they were put to work reclaiming the land from the sea. From the time they started to when work ceased completely in 1988 60 sq miles had been reclaimed from the sea. It is now known as NORTH SEA CAMP probably the largest prison farm in the UK. These two place were the first borstals in the UK. I mention this because you will see it is impossible for Hollow Meadows to have been a borstal before this time and most people know it as been a mental since 1940 at least

There is loads of information on the net to support what i say. No prison records have ever been kept in the prison library and available to inmates. Many people were hanged in Armley after peace. You have admitted im right once, now you come back with another story of which there is no proof whatsoever. At the very least you are splitting hairs. As this is a public forum we will have to agree to disagree.

sorry I never admitted you were right at all if you read the answer correctly I stated The last execution in ARMLEY PRISON did take place in 1961 and I admitted this was correct. I stated CHARLIE was hung in ARMLEY no mention of PRISON.

In 1879,Hollow meadows was a workhouse the workhouse site became an "Industrial School" where persistent school truants were detained. The buildings were enlarged in 1887 and could accommodate around 90 children. The site later became Hollow Meadows Hospital which was closed by 1981. The site was then sold for redevelopment and the buildings have now been converted to housing.

I Have also seen various references to the Town Hall having some form of prison facilities many many years ago