Hibberts art shop.....

from what I can remember, the good old city council increased the council tax for that particular premises that Hibberts stated that they could no longer afford to stay there and as far as I know the name of 'Hibberts' was closed down.

This is exactly what happened. There was quite a furore at the time, as was documented in the pages of "The Star". Hibberts had been in Sheffield for well over a century (I think since the 1830s) but this apparently meant nothing to the powers that be, who were only interested in charging a "fair" amount of tax on the premises. As deadheadfred wrote, "it was no longer a viable business proposition in that location" - but this was solely due to the increase in tax. The shop therefore closed and it's now a trendy health food store.

The 'trendy' herbalist is Wicker Herbal Stores. It used to have a fabulous vegetarian cafe upstairs, but unfortunately it closed down - maybe a sign of things not going so good for them too in the same location, although they are used to city centre charges as they used to have two shops one Union Street near where Ha Ha Bar is now and one round the corner on St Pauls Parade - at the other side of Ha Ha Bar!!. This new one is much better though, the other ones seemed very old fashioned and crowded.

from what I can remember, the good old city council increased the council tax for that particular premises that Hibberts stated that they could no longer afford to stay ther and as far as I know the name of 'Hibberts' was closed down. I used to get my George Cunningham prints from there.

The good old city council isn't responsible for setting business rates ... that's the Government's job ...

None of us can really afford the business rates unless you have a thriving, profitable business. Hibbert's unfortunately was obviously no longer viable. Why should the rest of us have to subsidise failing businesses? Most of us are in the same position. Rent and business rates are crippling small independent businesses all over the country. Along with competition from supermarkets and 'warehouses', small shops are closing down at the rate of one every day in UK :(

It's just the way things are.

So did I !!!

Heard they moved to Matlock area????

You were quite right about the councils decision to put up the rates etc. it was a factor for Hibberts to move on to Bakewell. Hibbert Bros now no longer exists. Unfortunately Miss Hibbert (Freda Greaves) passed away in February 2005 aged 92. John Greaves (Harry) now lives by the seaside and is well. Paul Hibbert-Greaves no longer lives in Yorkshire but is well and in a completely different business.

If I've worked things out correctly, William HIBBERT began the business: certainly by 1839 he's in the directory at 78 Fargate as Carvers & Gilders; under the name Marples & Hibbert - Marples was his wife's (Matilda) maiden name and had several brothers. At what time the business changes to Hibbert Bros I've not noted, but would be easy enough to follow using relevant trade directories.

William and Matilda were my GGG Grandparents: some years ago I did some research at Sheffield Archives and managed to get into Hibbert Bros in the Saturday lunch break: unfortunately although I spoke to Mrs Lidgard, her sister Freda was busy in her office with a customer. Mrs Lidgard said that a cousin/uncle had done some family history research, but on his death the papers had been lost. I tried to maintain contact with Mrs Lidgard when I returned to London, but unfortunately she never replied. I'd love to hear from any of the family. Jay

I have been in touch with Paul, he will look into finding out some details and will let you know.

However, as a starter, the Hibberts were from Buckinghamshire - Chalfont Hall (think thats how it is spelt), Sir William Hibbert. Frank & William came from Buckinghamshire to Sheffield at the start of the Industrial Revolution.

Hibbert Bros was started in Fargate in 1834 and moved to Surrey St

they married two Marple sisters from a steel family.

Will have more info soon.

Thank you, I look forward to hearing from a possible relative!

Jay

Sorry, I forgot all about you - so sorry.:loopy:

I do know that Paul is very busy at the moment but will try to pin him down, keep reminding me.

That's okay, whenever you and/or Paul has time.

JK

My GGG Grandparents were also William Hibbert and Matilda Marples and I understand that both came from the Baslow area in Derbyshire and moved to Sheffield later. I would

be very interested in any Buckinghamshire connection