Anybody from Hackenthorpe?

Me too. I was riding my bike on the pavement in front of Gower & Burgins shop at the terminus. He spots me and says, why are you riding your bike on the pavement>? I says, "it's safer than the road".

He gives me a clout round the ear, not for riding my bike on the pavement but for being cheeky. Those were the days.:)

I once found 2/6 at a bus stop on Birley Spa Lane on my way home from school. I told my mum that 'Walt' had given it to me for fixing his cycle lamp. A few days earlier my dad had explained to me that torch batteries needed to be connected up + to - or they wouldn't work, so I remembered this and told him that this was the reason why I got 'Walt's' light working.

He said that he'd keep an eye open and thank 'Walt' for his generosity the next time he rode past. I was pooing myself for weeks, hoping that my dad didn't see him. Nothing came of it, thank God.:)

Well done lads your reply has a yorkshire sence of humor, did you ever know the Disney family.

Another Disney story:

Autumn 1966

Me and my mate Paul decide to have a fire as It was winter. So we got loads of newspapers and all sorts of packaging, stuffed it into some carrier bags and went off to find somewhere to get one going. Oh yes, I took a bottle of turps just in case we had trouble lighting it :) .

We went up onto the football field on Drakehouse Lane and decided to get one going on the other side of the changing hut were we wouldnt be seen. (There was no houses or Crystal Peaks there then).

It was covered in some corrugated sheets and the flames were lapping up it nicely. As the flames began to die out I thought I'd chuck the turps on to bring it back to life. :hihi:

Well the flames leapt 15 feet into the air under the corugated sheet and set the hut on fire. As we stood there stunned who should be stood right behind us but Disney. Me and my mate legged it and left the old git standing. We run over the fields to Beighton and went back to Hackenthorpe in a big circle.

Some hours later we both went home and as I went through the front door my dad was stood behind it. Where've you been he said? playing cards at my mates, I says.

No you haven't you lying little bl**der, you and your pal have burnt the bloody football changing rooms to the ground havent you. I thought to myself - - just before the first blow hit me. How did he know it was me and my mate.

It turns out along with the newspapers, I had taken some old birthday cards and envelopes with my address on and Disney had fished them out of the fire.

While we were slapping each other on the back thinking we had got away with it. He had got on his bike and gone down to our house and told me dad. He said he'd thought he'd caught Harry Roberts as there was a nationwide manhunt on at the time looking for him. He'd seen the smoke and put 2 and 2 together and come with 5:hihi:

Anyway you can thank me for the new changing hut. I paid for it in skin ,flayed off my backside.:mad:

You dont mean Chris Crossley the "Mighty Atom", He used to ride a huge Motorbike around. He was also DJ at the Heartbeat club above the Ice Rink.around 1969 ish.

I lived round the corner from Chris at the bottom of Carr Forge Lane from mid sixties to early seventies, he was a nice bloke.

Does anyone remember Mick Nolan who lived with his parents on Dyke Vale Road until the late sixties, would have been aged about 19/20 in 1968, little feller and a right good laugh. He was a car mechanic by trade as, I believe, was his old man. He was a good mate of mine in those days. I would love to know what happened to him.

Knew 2 lasses who lived at bottom of Dyke Vale .... one was Maria (tallish lass)and the other one was....... errr, forgot (not a tall lass)

Would this have been about 1966/67?

Well we lived there from 1980 till 1987, my dad, Vin, was the caretaker at Rainbow Forge on Birley Spa Lane. My Grandparents, Piggotts, lived on Delves Drive, behind the bus terminus, and my youngest uncle still does, as far as I'm aware. Grandad John Piggott also did a few years on the door of the club.

One of my aunts lived up near the 'top-shops' and the club, Carter Knowle (?), her inlaws, the Wiles, lived opposite us on Birley Spa Lane. My Nan had a cousin and his wife, the Mckevoys, who also lived in Hackenthorpe.

I went to Rainbow Forge and then Carter Lodge, that both schools now dont exist is a bit unnerving.

Sean, I never knew your family from Hackenthorpe but I knew them from your dads next school in South West Sheffield. I will send you a PM. It would be nice to make contact again.

Hi Lostrider,

Your knowledge of Hackenthorpe seams to be good, as regards ChrisCrossley as a member of the area I new him in the early 70's he was the resident DJ at Cinderolles/ Rockofellers leeds and as a DJ I am well aware of Chris and his nickname the Mighty Atom because of his size. He is a great Guy and has taken his situation and proved to all that it is the individual that matters, not the apperance. I take my hat of to him and have a great deal of respect for him.

I have seen your Disney stories and it does reflect the Gentleman even as a Police Officer we all new our place.

May I ask what year and location you lived in Hackenthorpe so that I might be able to place you, maybee we have met.

Regards Dave:confused:

If you knew Gerald Smith you should be able to find him on this photo: can you put names to any of the others? I'll see if I can make a list.

Free at Last

I think he is stood behind me to the right of the picture, with his hand on my shoulder.

We moved to Hackenthorpe in 1954 when I was one year old. Lived on Delves Avenue. Moved away in 1975 when I got married. My dad was a copper, but with the Sheffield City Police. I had a mate on Delves Drive - Peter Brown.

Hi Lostrider,

Your knowledge of Hackenthorpe seams to be good, as regards ChrisCrossley as a member of the area I new him in the early 70's he was the resident DJ at Cinderolles/ Rockofellers leeds and as a DJ I am well aware of Chris and his nickname the Mighty Atom because of his size. He is a great Guy and has taken his situation and proved to all that it is the individual that matters, not the apperance. I take my hat of to him and have a great deal of respect for him.

I have seen your Disney stories and it does reflect the Gentleman even as a Police Officer we all new our place.

May I ask what year and location you lived in Hackenthorpe so that I might be able to place you, maybee we have met.

Regards Dave:confused:

Yes Gerald Smith is on the far right at the back row,either centre front row, or left front row looks like Tony Maikinson but not sure, where did you get the photo and is it at Carter Lodge. I thought that Gerald passed his 11+ as all that failed from Rainbow Forge went to Carter Lodge instead of the Grammer school.

Thanks for the photo, please let me know when you have more names

Dave Theaker

Yes Gerald Smith is on the far right at the back row,either centre front row, or left front row looks like Tony Maikinson but not sure, where did you get the photo and is it at Carter Lodge. I thought that Gerald passed his 11+ as all that failed from Rainbow Forge went to Carter Lodge instead of the Grammer school.

Thanks for the photo, please let me know when you have more names

Dave Theaker

Here are some names I can remember, hope they are accurate.

Back Row (L to R)

1.? 2.Andrew Havenhand 3.? 4.Steve Betsworth 5.? 6.? 7.Graham Brough 8.Gerald Smith

Middle Row (L to R)

1. Ray Hible 2.Howard Baker 3.? 4.Gary Fordham 5.Mick Roddis 6.Alan Burke (me) 7.Neal Turfitt 8.Paul Driver 9.John Watson

Front Row (L to R) (seated)

1. Frank Naseby 2. David Pain

Edited by Lostrider

Thanks for that Lostrider as you are in the photo and went to Carter Lodge, what happened to the Townsends, White and Maikinson family any idea?

Was Andrew Havenhand the brother of Linda Havenhand that used to live at th last house before the jennel to Russell and Garlic shop and the 41 terminus at the side of theHoggs Head Pub, love to know

Dave Theaker

I was at Carter Lodge ........forever........moved from Beighton Infants when we moved to Hackenthorpe in 1953, so had Miss Cantor as Headmistress for a long time through Infants and Juniors then in senior school Mr. Croft !!!!!!! "quality not quantity".

Friends with Chris Crossley for a long time and briefly met up a couple of years or so ago and promptly lost touch again..........busy busy life!!!

Ciao

RL