Sheffield decent homes

It shouldn't matter which company is actually doing the work, the responsibility for getting it right is down to the council..
it shouldnt matter which company is doing the job are you for real :suspect:. ive heard them all now :huh:

it shouldnt matter which company is doing the job are you for real :suspect:. ive heard them all now :huh:

The standard should be the same as they are all working for the council. There are plenty of highly paid managers in SCC whose job it is to ensure contractors and partners do what they are paid for. Thats why I suggested complaining via the right channels.

If someone is a tenant of the council, the council is their landlord, and the council get paid rent for that tenant's home. Tenants shouldn't have to consider who is carrying out repairs and maintenance, if a contractor has botched a job, then the onus is on the landlord (council) to make sure its sorted.

---------- Post added 10-12-2013 at 22:57 ----------

Thanks ms Mac Beth but I'v complained to all the right people and geared if you haven't got anything interesting to say then do one!

Did you get a proper reply to your complaint, and what did your councillor do?

The standard should be the same as they are all working for the council. There are plenty of highly paid managers in SCC whose job it is to ensure contractors and partners do what they are paid for. Thats why I suggested complaining via the right channels.?
and in this case its kier so i guess all along i was right :D

No kier aren't the ones doing the work so ur wrong

who are doing the work then because as far as i know the only contractors still doing Decent Homes are Kier, incidently you should complain to Housing(ex sheffield Homes) as they monitor these issues the contractor willtry and wriggle out of any thing in order to get the job signed off and paid

No kier aren't the ones doing the work so ur wrong

Ok I'm wrong so who's doing the work

Phone the housing office and ask for the telephone number for the local tenants board. They have alot of power within the council. I had a 10 month nightmare with my new kitchen, got the tenants board involved it was sorted in a month.

I'm into week 8 now of the decent homes work. I agree it's a total nightmare from organisation to the workmanship. regardless of it being a council house we should still be seeing more organisation, liaison and better finished products. The plasterer did a terrible job, the walls are worse than they were before and now the paints on it's horrendous. Jobs are started and not finished. We've had endless amounts of damage to our personal things from broken light shades to ripped carpets and the mess left after each job, even when i've been told ,"we've cleaned up " i've had to follow up with proper cleaning.

Contractors turn up to do jobs with little or no notice, most with the aim of getting in doing the job fast, without a care for the finish. I was given 5 minutes notice at 8.15am during this week to clear the kitchen, they know i have children and do a school run, but they don't care, after all we are only tenants !

I have totally had enough of the whole process and can't wait for them to sign the house off as finished, but this will not be done before xmas as still many things to correct and jobs to be finished. The whole process is starting to make me ill with the stress of it all and it is affecting all the family including our children.

We never wanted the work doing. but the house had not been touched for well over 30 years so needed to be brought up to date, especially with electrics, windows and the heating.

Luckily I was allowed to leave the cooker and the washer connected in the kitchen, without the use of these i think i would have ended up camping out at our parents . I sympathise with anyone that has gone through this over the last 10 years or so and more so for the houses that are being done last. I'd heard quite a few horror stories in the past, but always thought that they were vamping the problems up and complaining at the slightest things, now i'm in it I know what was said is true.

I am not having any work done but the lady upstairs is. Last week at 3 in the morning there was some sort of commotion in the communal area cos my dog was going mad. I got up to see what was happening, and my bathroom and kitchen were flooded, in the communal area there was water coming from ceiling, down walls etc. My neighbour works nights so wasn't home but luckily I had her key and access to a phone. They went upstairs, turned her water off because the workmen who put central heating in had not connected the pipes properly. My ex partner came and cleaned all the water up for me and re painted but not once did the council come to ask if I was ok x

I am not having any work done but the lady upstairs is. Last week at 3 in the morning there was some sort of commotion in the communal area cos my dog was going mad. I got up to see what was happening, and my bathroom and kitchen were flooded, in the communal area there was water coming from ceiling, down walls etc. My neighbour works nights so wasn't home but luckily I had her key and access to a phone. They went upstairs, turned her water off because the workmen who put central heating in had not connected the pipes properly. My ex partner came and cleaned all the water up for me and re painted but not once did the council come to ask if I was ok x

I bet it was the same useless crew as those who fitted my upstairs neighbour's new central heating, a few years ago...

They left a draining valve open and the water came through my bathroom ceiling, and made a right royal mess of my flat.

and they say the private sectors the way forward :suspect::

It well may be if this is the standard in the public sector.

Edited by Ms Macbeth