Sheffield Hallam University - Nurse training

Hi - anyone here doing nurse training at Hallam uni? Im applying for September 09 to do children's nursing. Id love to hear what its like and if anyone else with young children is on the course. Many Thanks Sarah xx:):)

SHU nurses are the best. I'm not on a course but after a spell in the northern general I have a high opinion of them. Hadn't given up the will to live like the rest of them!

I have a few friends on that course and they absolutely love it!

two of my friends, with young children have doen this course, and I have seen them nearly rip their hair out!

They get given unrealistic work (5 to 6 essays to finish by wed of next week, for example) and have to start shifts at 6am - meaning they can't get childcare at that time. Imagine what lengths they both have to go to to try and get their children to scholl and go on placement. I know my friend has problems with the help financial wise she gets from this also and tbh I am surpised she is still on the course. her shifts atm have been 6-6 for ten days running without a day off....so when is she supposed to do the huge amounts of essays?

I have had tears, screaming, the lot from her about it. So IMO, i'd think VERY carefully before doing this course as it is prob the most hardest one to do! obviously everyoen is different and studies, deals with things differently but these are two of my friends, aged 28 and 31, with one child each of 6 and 13.

two of my friends, with young children have doen this course, and I have seen them nearly rip their hair out!

They get given unrealistic work (5 to 6 essays to finish by wed of next week, for example) and have to start shifts at 6am - meaning they can't get childcare at that time. Imagine what lengths they both have to go to to try and get their children to scholl and go on placement. I know my friend has problems with the help financial wise she gets from this also and tbh I am surpised she is still on the course. her shifts atm have been 6-6 for ten days running without a day off....so when is she supposed to do the huge amounts of essays?

I have had tears, screaming, the lot from her about it. So IMO, i'd think VERY carefully before doing this course as it is prob the most hardest one to do! obviously everyoen is different and studies, deals with things differently but these are two of my friends, aged 28 and 31, with one child each of 6 and 13.

To be fair why should a university tailor its courses around the timetable of a few students that happen to have kids?

I know alot of people that have done this course and are doing it and all I can say is if you really want it, go for it! It is hard work but its rewarding and you get alot of help and advice along the way. Plus everyone is in the same boat as you and there are alot of nice people to be met along the way wether on placement or fellow students. Take it from someone who knows - its alot and its a hard slog at times but it is so worth it in the end and the time flashes by, before you know it you are qualified. Good luck for next September!

i do know it hard on placement time but really there is not 5-6 eassy to complete by the wednesday as quoted eassy can be due in at placement time, shift are the 24 hour rota shifts that nurses do in the really world, and if they do 6-6days for 10 days that would be impossible as they are 12 hour shifts and to do 10 then that 120 hours in 2 weeks when in reality they would have done only 75 hours full time hours work it out yes its hard yes at times i want to finsh the course but if you want it enough then you do it

i do know it hard on placement time but really there is not 5-6 eassy to complete by the wednesday as quoted eassy can be due in at placement time, shift are the 24 hour rota shifts that nurses do in the really world, and if they do 6-6days for 10 days that would be impossible as they are 12 hour shifts and to do 10 then that 120 hours in 2 weeks when in reality they would have done only 75 hours full time hours work it out yes its hard yes at times i want to finsh the course but if you want it enough then you do it

Couldnt have put it better myself, I was getting onto the bit about the shifts and esays but got carried away with how much it is worth it and its hard work but if you want it go for it. It would be impossible and the Trust and Uni wouldnt allow that amount of hours. You get a staff nurse off duty as you would once you had qaulified but no more, its upto you if you do bank shifts with an agency for extra money after that. The bit about the shifts and essays said previously are wrong! Dont let it put you off!

Hi

I started doing Adult in Sept this year. Being a mum of a toddler and pregnant I have found it fine in terms of work (we were told we have 2 essays due in this Friday, weeks ago). Lectures were heavy at first with a full week (some days with big gaps between lectures or seminars some only in for an hour or two, others in all day) but it's got less in the run up to our first weeks hol a couple of weeks ago and placement.

Personally I have had a nightmare with the placement side of it as they are supposed to give you it about 4-6wks in advance. Still a bummer if you have one far away and need to go by bus or train, and have young uns, but would be better than no notice. However, thanks to the CRB check taking 3 months to complete (polices fault), it meant I got my placement Thursday to start today, in the worst place I could have had out of my 3 possible cities- Doncaster. Imagine trying to arrange childcare with 3 days notice and trying to get from Sheff to Donc for an early shift by bus and train? All while 6 months pregnant. Not ideal. I am annoyed because even though they DO tell you you WILL have to travel at some point, they give you a section to state reasons when they allocate placement 'zones'. However, I got 3rd choice which really upset me at first but then learned a lot of people got 3rd or 4th choices so I accepted it as it was only this placement I was bothered about- I hope to be driving soon and obv not pregnant next yr when I go back. I called and emailed almost daily when chasing my CRB, as I was basically trying to make sure I would have a local placement for when I was cleared, so I could actually go. I thought with the amount of contact I had (and I was told they would take everything into account probably for this placement even if not for the rest), I was given the exact opposite of what I needed this late on. I am not saying I should have got special treatment but it is a good job I can go on maternity leave and not do this placement or I would have no choice, although I really feel like I am missing out now. There were at least 30 of us last Tuesday (day after we should have started) with no placement for whatever reason. I was cleared Thursday late morning and given placement thurs 4pm. They said that's all they had and they had tried. I have no doubt, but what about everyone else?

Also I have had the biggest uniform nightmare. I did not have one until 2 wks ago as the suppliers they use messed up on several occasions. Again, not SHU's fault but made me feel isolated. Again,not the only one.

I think so far SHU have been great. The only thing is I think they take on too many students, and I have been unlucky enough to get everything go wrong. It has left me in tears several times. It is hard, seeing mates hwo have no responsibilites and who drive, having everything go their way from day 1, but that is how it should be. Parents shouldn't have preferential treatment but I would seriously consider all the above before applying. Also, as with a lot of parents, SHU is the only option as most of us are local. So we have to do this to get the career we want.

Children's nursing is a different course though. We do share lectures but I am unsure of the placement and essay timetables etc. so I could not advise on that.

Having said that, all my mates are having a great time on placement which I am chuffed about. I think if you pay attention, do what you need to and start things with plenty of time, you would be ok. Just be prepared to not have things go as they state at the beginning, be prepared for things like this and you will not be as disappointed as I have been. The facilities are great,l the Student Support officers are great and other staff I have dealt with, but it feels like some people don't care or listen and as I said I think they need to do things a bit differently and maybe take on less students.

One other thing... they say over and over.. the support is there when you need it. It's upto you the access that support, unlike at School or College. That is fair enough as it is adult, higher education. BUT what about when you e-mail tutors who are supposed to be there for help, and get no response? A mate e-mailed different tutors regarding 2 different things. Both times she has got no help at all. So it does feel like you are banging your head against a brick wall at times. I only assume this is forgetfulness, or just that these people are far too busy, but that's not really much use to us!

Go for it, make sure you can get childcare early on, and that this will sometimes start very early, and you will be fine. But don't believe everything they tell you- I made that mistake! I just hope when I go back next year things are a bit more plain sailing.

Which course are your mates doing if you don't mind me asking? Adult, child, mental health? Also what year?

It sounds a bit much to have 5-6 essays all due on the same date during placement. We have 3 due which we have known about for weeks, and these are due this week (most students are on placement). But we are 1st yr ADNS students.

I hear the course is changing next yr slightloy and one change will be that assignments will not be due during placement to make things easier but I am not 100% sure.

In the real world we will be nurses, working shifts. Obviously we will then have more choice as it's upto us where we apply for, what hours they may do there etc. but they do tell you all this before you start. The only problem I have is that while they do offer a lot of advice and support, if you have kids it's going to be harder anyway due to the nature of the course- times of work and travelling. I just think they need to be a bit more organised in furutre yrs but some stuff is out of their hands.

I have enjoyed it so far, as from the start I have had issues non stop not only with the uniform/CRB/Placement debarcle, but with personal issues namely my child carer being ill, my OH being in hospital and me being ill all within a month but I found that they do help you.

To be fair why should a university tailor its courses around the timetable of a few students that happen to have kids?

They shouldn't but it's more than 'a few' of us that have kids. We are told before we apply about the times and travelling. It's just their could be something to make things a bit easier for people with kids BUT in nursing, what can you do? If you get placed on a ward with certain shift times and patterns, you need to stick to it. If you liase with your ward area you may be able to makes things a bit easier for youself but it would be nice if they could tailor things a bit more. Problem is, with a limited number of placements an so many students, it's just not possible.

ive applied for adult nursing for sept '09 :D:D

cant bloody wait!