Please help which course is better OCR OR ECDL?

PLease can somebody tell me which I will benefit more from ECDL course or OCR (Clait one)

Im not sure which one will be better for job interviews when going for an admin or receptionist role. Please help xxxx

IMO ECDL would be better as it's more recognised in the Industry than CLAIT.

I did the course a couple of years back, managed fine on the actual course work but I suck at passing exams (I take after my Dad for that) so I failed the course :(

Depends how much time you have. ECDL can take a lot of time and commitment, particularly if you want all units to get the GCSE equivalent.

A lot of kids these days do the ECDL in school so it has become one of the standards that the bigger organisations understand however funding has been running out at a lot of places for some reason so it may be harder to do than it was.

IMO ECDL would be better as it's more recognised in the Industry than CLAIT.

I did the course a couple of years back, managed fine on the actual course work but I suck at passing exams (I take after my Dad for that) so I failed the course :(

I agree with Rich. Just completed ECDL and happy to have the qualification. Would feel much confident telling a potential employer I have the ECDL qualification than the CLAIT. Though I think the two are very similar.

I used to teach ECDL and it gives a pretty good foundation is the skills you will need in work. There are 7 modules, and you can take up to three years to complete them (or you can do them all in an afternoon!)

Be warned though that the database module is really badly constructed and utterly useless! (or at lest it was when I last looked at it 4 years ago)

I used to teach ECDL and it gives a pretty good foundation is the skills you will need in work. There are 7 modules, and you can take up to three years to complete them (or you can do them all in an afternoon!)

Be warned though that the database module is really badly constructed and utterly useless! (or at lest it was when I last looked at it 4 years ago)

Just as an aside, I did my EDCL about a year ago but didn't get round to doing 1 unit so haven't completed the course. The test centre i was affiliated to ran out of funding and hasn't got it again yet (due to other issues) so i don't have the qualification. I'd like to complete it so do i have to do it all again or is there any way i could complete it somewhere else?

Just as an aside, I did my EDCL about a year ago but didn't get round to doing 1 unit so haven't completed the course. The test centre i was affiliated to ran out of funding and hasn't got it again yet (due to other issues) so i don't have the qualification. I'd like to complete it so do i have to do it all again or is there any way i could complete it somewhere else?

You have three years to complete it, and you can do it anywhere. Just ask the test centre for your log book which should have a record of your completed units. It's run by the British Computer Society, so if all else fails you could ask them about centres near you.

You have three years to complete it, and you can do it anywhere. Just ask the test centre for your log book which should have a record of your completed units. It's run by the British Computer Society, so if all else fails you could ask them about centres near you.

Cheers! Seems a waste not to complete it.

Ecdl imo . . Completed mine 4 years ago but am led to believe there are now 8 modules? Try birley college, think they might be running a type of summer school in this. Contact is neil drew . . Hope this is useful

ECDL is better as OCR is rarely recognised nowadays, I have an OCR which is also known as NVQ level 1 and 2 but as I worked for DWP for 4 years that qualification is rarely recognised, and as a self employed employer now I would also advise you go for the ECDL as when I am recruiting staff I too don't go for people who generally only have OCR NVQ's rather than any other qualification.

You would be best to invest time and money into a worthwhile qualification rather than a near obselete one, besides things worth doing are often worth doing properley :)

Hope this helps, everyone seems to also see that OCR is an inferior course and opt for the ECDL too.

I have compleated the whole ECDL, and i know that it is widly recognised which is good. But i would stress personally for me, that it had little educational value as it seemed very keen on giving you information to pass not to attually learn how to use computers etc. But best of luck.

In terms of learning new skills (ie beginners), ECDL is very poor, and indeed for dyslexic learners, a complete nightmare. ECDL is good for people who already have IT skills, that simply need a qualification to prove they have the skills they already have (which is backward in my opinion).

For learning IT skills, CLAIT is by far the better course, its practical hands on approach is very popular with many people.

When I have ran classes, I have found people who have passed the ECDL, have poor IT skills, and become baffled with the most simple of tasks.

In terms of the best one for employability, ECDL is the one employers are wanting.