legal requirements to open a cafe?

my friend is looking to but a cafe he has seen and has asked for my advice but I'm not 100% on what he needs to do really. so i thought id ask you guys:D

what are the legal requirements in regards to any permits licenses health and safety and food hygiene etc etc does he need to do before he can open and start trading? any help would be greatly appreciated. :thumbsup:

Business Link South Yorkshire used to run a free course for anyone going into the food trade, called 'Enterprise in Food' It ran for several weeks & was excellent - visiting speakers from the council, tax, VAT, other small business owners etc. If you look on their website, & get a phone number you could ask if they are still running this course.

You will need A3 consent on the property you are going to trade from.

You do not need any formal qualifications but you will need to adhere to Health and Hygiene.

As Greeny01 says, you're simply looking for A3 consent on the proposed building, if it doesn't already have it. You don't need any formal qualifications.

Be a little careful though, it's a surpsisingly difficult businness to make money in. Remember that serving food may seem a good idea, though it will increase his wage bill hugely and it's difficult to recoup that outgoing on food sales alone.

The majority of profit in cafe's is made from drinks sales.