Anyone have a cure for a squeaky/screechy car belt?

The fan belt (lol, like I have any idea if it's actually the fan belt- okay, the belt that spins really fast when you turn the engine on :D ) of my car makes this really annoying squeaky noise when wet- which in Sheffield is almost every day :( . I went to have it tightened and found out that it has an automatic tensioner (and so sets itself). I've tried oil sprays which grease it up, but they literally work for about 2 mins before the noise starts again. I took it to mechanics and they told me that the best thing to do would be to replace the belt - and that sounds expensive. What's to guarantee that changing the belt would solve the problem? I think they just said that because it was so obvious that I know *nothing* about cars :(

Does anyone else have this problem and if so, what do you do?

Will I have to get a new belt? If so, does anyone know a ballpark price (Peugeot 206)?

So it isn't the alternator then?

:confused: That's a whole new car term that I do not know... :cry:

Where was I when everyone was learning about cars? :rolleyes:

Belt in question (thank you Google & MS Paint :))

So it isn't the alternator then?

I assume that's a photo of a car engine? :confused:

It's usually the alternator that makes a horrendous screeching sound on an elderly car. Beyond that I know jack :D

You could be right, your's could be the belt ;)

I assume that's a photo of a car engine? :confused:

It's usually the alternator that makes a horrendous screeching sound on an elderly car. Beyond that I know jack :D

You could be right, your's could be the belt ;)

ROTFLMAO!!! :hihi:

I know it's that particular belt because when I spray it with the magic oil, it stops squeaking for a while (approx. 120 seconds). I think it may make more sense to fix the belt than to keep buying $6 a time cans of that stuff. Also, my car is only six - or is that "elderly" for a car? :?

The fan belt (lol, like I have any idea if it's actually the fan belt- okay, the belt that spins really fast when you turn the engine on :D ) a car makes this really annoying squeaky noise when wet- which in Sheffield is almost every day :( . I went to have it tightened and found out that it has an automatic tensioner (and so sets itself). I've tried oil sprays which grease it up, but they literally work for about 2 mins before the noise starts again. I took it to mechanics and they told me that the best thing to do would be to replace the belt - and that sounds expensive. What's to guarantee that changing the belt would solve the problem? I think they just said that because it was so obvious that I know *nothing* about cars :(

Does anyone else have this problem and if so, what do you do?

Will I have to get a new belt? If so, does anyone know a ballpark price (Peugeot 206)?

If it screams when you rev your engine then its merely your fan belt but replace it soon or it will run your battery down, a nice guy should be able to do that for you, there is really no such thing as an automatic tensioner as it only has a set degree of boundaries to tension within. They all wear out eventually, its only a band of rubber that moves the part and the idiot who sets the tension in the first place knows that the rubber is going to wear down.

I can't see it but the cheapest option is a new belt from what you describe pulled to the corect torque before fastening it and I don't need to quote it, just what a medium sized guy can do with effort.... the worst case scenario could be your thrust bearind to scream but that is to do with your clutch and much more expensive. I doubt it though.

Fan belt, Change and Labour, buy the fan belt yourself from a motor factors yourself simply by going in and quoting what you want for what model, some of them can actually tell you the problem. Don't buy the part there and then, ask friends and family about someone who can undertake the job, if you can't do it yourself then when you can find someone who can then you only have to negotiate a price to fit the part. I would do that 20min job for free myself but I don't know the problem to assume that would be the cure.

Just don't drive it to increase the problem anymore till you've got it fixed as it might end up costing you more. Don't do it cos you will notice it.

After all that worry, if it calms down when the engine is warm, tis, does sound like the fan belt to me. renew it and put plenty o WD40 over the bolt joins before you tighten them up and never put it on the rubber, I can really only suggest you see your family, otherwise pm me and I can direct you toward to other people who would not want to be mentioned here but would help you out and a lot nearer.

I usually find the best way to cure it is to turn the volume up on the radio,

Well it works for me

Deffo just the fanbelt, only cost a few pounds, its a very common thing, it may just want tensioning, but for what they cost, buy a new one.....

Thank you kindly Lone Wolf x x x

I tried to PM you but can't for some reason.

I found this site: http://www.pugspares.co.uk/PartsSearchResults.asp?PugIDNo=&ManIDNo=&model=206&component=Belts+and+Tensioners&Submit=Go

But it's talking about alternator belts and cam belts and timing belts and ribbed belts :huh::help:

I can't see it but the cheapest option is a new belt from what you describe pulled to the corect torque before fastening it and I don't need to quote it, just what a medium sized guy can do with effort.... the worst case scenario could be your thrust bearind to scream but that is to do with your clutch and much more expensive. I doubt it though.

I usually find the best way to cure it is to turn the volume up on the radio,

Well it works for me

LMAO, 40 - that's what I'm currently doing :thumbsup:

Deffo just the fanbelt, only cost a few pounds, its a very common thing, it may just want tensioning, but for what they cost, buy a new one.....[/Quote]

Any idea where to look/go?

I use sum wd40

:o That's the magic oil spray I was talking about! Does it work for you? 'Cause it doesn't for me :mad:

I use sum wd40

And :o:o:o Wibbs your signature is freaky :hihi: :hihi: