New Sainsburys in Bradway?

cheers i will keep an eye out for them:)

Makinsons hanging baskets are fantastic. It's not worth making your own at their prices. I bet Sainsburys couldn't compete with those.

If Bradway wants to stop Sainsburys and others of the same ilk from moving onto the site of the old pub it really will have to galvanize itself into action. From my own point of view, probably selfish I admit, Sainsburys will provide us with everything at a very good price, fish, meat, vegetables, grocery, bakery and even possibly, a chemist. Twentywell gives us Spar, utter complacency and indifferent staff, who spend their whole time smoking on the pavement, on top of that it is overpriced and stuck very firmly in the 1960s. I am sure that this comment is of no surprise to the concessionaire who owns it. The Butcher. A dinosaur, nothing organic, nothing free range, he can't bear all that. The Chemist. Closes on Saturday and at 3pm weekdays, no more to be said there then. The Greengrocer. This is a little gem, no pun intended, very good selection, excellent prices, really fresh and the kind of service that would please the CEO of John Lewis. There is a very good chance he will survive Sainsburys, the others WILL go. What will replace them? This is the good bit, Sainsburys will not provide a community spirit in any shape or form, it is highly unlikely that you will go in there to buy some carrots and the greengrocer suggests that he delivers your bag of compost. Sainsburys and other giant supermarkets like them harm communities in places like Bradway and make them feel isolated, because most other trade dies. Incidently, I am not related to the Greengrocer.

It's a Saisbury local, it will give you a similar offer to Spar or the co-op at Low Edges, no chemist and limited grocery range.

No room for a sainsburys at bradway, no parking spaces not enough room for delivery vans there is nothing wrong with the spar if people who live in bradway would stop thinking that they are better than the people off the lowedges estate, they would find the staff friendly in the shop, but they are so far up their own arses that all you can see are their feet, they look down at every one else, at the end of the day you are no better than anyone else, so stop slagging staff off and support your local shops this includes the butchers and the fruit shop and coffee shop and card shop and keep hardworking people in their jobs.

No room for a sainsburys at bradway, no parking spaces not enough room for delivery vans there is nothing wrong with the spar if people who live in bradway would stop thinking that they are better than the people off the lowedges estate, they would find the staff friendly in the shop, but they are so far up their own arses that all you can see are their feet, they look down at every one else, at the end of the day you are no better than anyone else, so stop slagging staff off and support your local shops this includes the butchers and the fruit shop and coffee shop and card shop and keep hardworking people in their jobs.

Look at the back of the Bradway Hotel site - plenty of parking once the site is redeveloped. The Spar staff are usually friendly, but if this is what they think of their customers I can understand why some may want to stay away!!

If Bradway ends up with a Sainsbury's it will probably be the fault of Spar. I really hope the owner reads the comments on this forum. I have not read a single comment here referring to anyone living on Lowedges and the presumed social divides have absolutely nothing to do with acquiring a new Sainsbury's.

The sole purpose of any retailer, or any other type of business for that matter is to relieve us of as much money as possible, Spar fails spectacularly at this. Most people who live in Bradway hate it, they do not want to go into a shop where you have to wait for the staff to stop their conversation with each other to get served, they do not want to be served by surly aggressive people with huge chips on both shoulders, they do not want to buy boring overpriced products, they do not want to look at the staff fag butts on the pavement outside. If anyone thinks that the staff in this Spar are " hard working people " they are delusional.

The latest comments about the lack of parking at the pub are just ignorant rubbish and if the decision makers at Sainsbury's have half a brain they will throw in a chemist and a small post office concession just to sweeten the deal with any objectors and Sheffield City Council planners, who are probably wetting their knickers at the thought of getting this one through, although in the end it will have to go to a committee vote.

Spar have an ATM, but it's not free, so not used as much as Tesco's Local on nearby Abbeydale Road South.

I suspect Sainsbury's would have a free ATM.

Sainsburys have applied for an off licence for the Bradway site. Notice on lamp post outside and also in last Thursdays Sheffield Telegraph.

Sainsburys have applied for an off licence for the Bradway site. Notice on lamp post outside and also in last Thursdays Sheffield Telegraph.

Interesting priorities as there's no indication they've applied for planning permission yet. That could be announced very soon! The building has been sold, subject to planning consent.

If they keep the pub building looking the same it may be the case they do not need planning permission to change the use from pub to shop.

If they keep the pub building looking the same it may be the case they do not need planning permission to change the use from pub to shop.

I have written to Sainsbury's on this point and their answer was;

"The proposals include replacing the existing building with a new, purpose built unit. The design team has explored the possibility of retaining the current building as part of the plans but unfortunately this cannot be incorporated due to design and layout requirements. Sainsbury's will make every effort to ensure the design of the new building is in keeping with the character of the local area."

Wonder if they will go down the Tesco road of demolishing it first then asking the council for permission to build on unsightly empty land....

Anyway, so the pub and shop unit is to be demolished to make way for a purpose built convenience store and car parking by the look of it..

Anyway, what I would say if you don't want to lose the other shops and pubs, the simple answer is ensure you use them and spend money in them.