St Paul's tower cladding? Have read the council aren't happy -and neither am I!

I was initially excited about St Paul's Tower - the thought of a gleaming glass skyscraper (a bit like the Beetham Tower in Manchester) would be a great addition to the city centre, and a great landmark.

But the other day I walked past and noticed dark brown, cheap looking cladding and windows being added.

This along with that dreadful brown carpark spells disaster for the city. I don't see the point in knocking buildings like the Egg Box and other supposedly grim 60s & 70s style buildings, and then replacing them with more dull monstrosities.

I really hope the council takes action on this - as suggested on this thread:

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=478951&page=156

We know... Blame the Council for authorising the build and all of us for not objecting it.

as if an objection would mean diddly.

If you read the posts on there, one of the members have had a reply from planning saying

Dear Neil

The cladding currently being erected on the Heart of the City Tower has not been approved and the developer has been told to stop installation work until satisfactory design has been submitted and agreed.

Regards

Head of City Development

It looks like the developers have tried to get away with cutting costs on the most visible part of the building, and with any luck, the council may be able to stop it.

However - with City Lofts down the pan, and the two banks funding this (Lehman and Hypo) having varying levels of financial problems, where the money to fix it could come from remains to be seen...

If you read the posts on there, one of the members have had a reply from planning sayingIt looks like the developers have tried to get away with cutting costs on the most visible part of the building, and with any luck, the council may be able to stop it.

However - with City Lofts down the pan, and the two banks funding this (Lehman and Hypo) having varying levels of financial problems, where the money to fix it could come from remains to be seen...

But didn't the council agree to fund it's completion in the event of these problems?

If so, the costs will be covered once they are all sold.

rolflmao prob credit crunch so gone for cheapo glass

It wasnt exactly glamorous to start with, but when all the design amounts to is a tall rectangle, what you clad it in is essentially 99% of it's appearance. Conran designed? Con design i say

I hope they put there foot down on this- the original design looked really good!!! that just looks crap!

Well what did you all expect. Have you never heard the expression; 'if you dance with the devil you should expect to get burnt'?

The devil in this case being the property developers that, credit crunch or no credit crunch, would have made sure that there were severe cutbacks somewhere along the line turning the blandest, most inappropriately located tower block in the UK into one of the ugliest and blandest, inappropriately located tower block in the UK.

Unfortunately some people on this forum never seem to learn.:shakes: