Food to build a dog up

Woah if you use Eukanuba...it's extremely nice and VERY expensive! Get your dog on this and he simply will not eat anything else...lol

If your going to make a life time commitment at £30 per week then fine but there ARE cheaper alternatives...working dog etc contains more protien than chick & rice, so will serve as a build up.

Look at the protien content of each, compare prices and find the best option for you.

Lotti is the main expert on dog nutrition on here, that I've seen, so her advice is good.

Like Moonbird said "Tripe" is the best but will stink the house out when cooking it...lol You need a strong stomach and an even stronger love for your dog...lol if you wanna cook that, seriously does pile on the weight is very cheap and dog's love it.

The more he poo's the less he is getting out of the food, so I guess it's trial and error.

My dog, medium size GSD X, is into working dog complete, she's just about the right weight for her size, is happy and it only cost's £7.99 per sack which last's her about a month...not including all the leftovers she gets.

She poo's about once a day, the poo is dark brown and solid, in small amount's and her food is left down all day so she eat's when she wants.

Oh and if your using dry complete food, you MUST make sure your dog has access to water at ALL times...our Sheba reeb has a bowl of water down all the time plus a big horse trough in the garden...:)

avoid tin food go for dry working dog food

OHHHH YUK, tinned food, all the bits of allsorts of animal no-one else wants, plus it can make your dogs teeth very bad if you don't brush them regular!

Many trip's to vet's having to pay for major de-scale...lol

£30 a week, are you sure?

If not more!!! With having a GSD x, and only the best wanted originally but saw the price and thought woah, can't realistically afford that every week, cos a sack would only last a week.

Have the addictive, won't eat anything else, from ex colleague dog handlers with South York's police, so must be true?

Once they have been given it they turn nose up at everything else, which is all well and good when your on 4k a month!

mine's only a crestie, one of your dogs turds are probably bigger than my dog :hihi:

LOL.....awww but she don't s**** much and it's good quality...lol This is the key see, if the dog's digestive system is making the most of the food being given, you don't get much waste:)

£30 a week, are you sure?

No dog will eat a sack of food a week Peaches. So £30 a week worth of dog food is ridiculous. If its a 15kg sack that is?

Burns guide is 10gm of food per kilo bodyweight per day, so therefore I would imagine your dog to be about 4kg maximum. so thats 40gm of food per day a 15kg sack will last forever.

i agree with gemima i swear by burns.It's about quality over quantity so in the long run it's more cost effective than not so good brands,because you don't have to feed your dog as much.It makes sense if you have to feed your dog loads to fill him/her up then loads will come out the other end,yuk.Don't always look at the cost for wet or dry food look at (whats in it) thats more important.If it says animal derivatives ie 4% avoid like the plague,it basically means it's full of c..p

I just looked, the stuff he's getting now is 4% min fresh chicken it says

My foster dog Turner was so skinney when we took him in. We've been giving him fresh mince for a couple of weeks with his complete dried food and he's certainly looking alot better.

No dog will eat a sack of food a week Peaches. So £30 a week worth of dog food is ridiculous. If its a 15kg sack that is?

Burns guide is 10gm of food per kilo bodyweight per day, so therefore I would imagine your dog to be about 4kg maximum. so thats 40gm of food per day a 15kg sack will last forever.

If this is a crestie a sack will last her a very good month!!!! Poss 6..lol. She ain't got a BIG dog...lol so not that bad:hihi:

A very stocky working GSD will go through one every 2- 3 weeks, maybe a little exageration in the sack a week at £30 BUT IT IS VERY expensive to feed on Eukanuba...gold plated dog food..honest!

Seriously NOT in the mood right now, one of my good buddy's died in a very tragic accident, plus a heap load of S*** from a neighbour, this day just gets better! Only told you what I know, any advice is good? you just take it from all angles and decide what's best for you...being a friendly forum?

Has the OP not already stated, she's tried burns and it gave her dog the Sh****, so obviously does'nt suit? Try the tripe babe, it's easy to digest and pure protien....arrrrgh I give up!