Moving a BT telegraph pole

I bet the pole was there well before the drive. Remember years ago people did'nt have

cars, and a pole could have been on the same spot for 50 years or more. It.s a major

job to move a pole, hence the cost.

Get the local joy riders to up root it :)

Ive got a similar problem.

Telegraph pole is not on my land but at the back right of my fence on my neighbours land. There is a steel cable that runs from the top of the pole into my garden about 2ft in.

Would it be common sense for BT to remove this cable or even move it closer to the fence for no fee?

Ive got a similar problem.

Telegraph pole is not on my land but at the back right of my fence on my neighbours land. There is a steel cable that runs from the top of the pole into my garden about 2ft in.

Would it be common sense for BT to remove this cable or even move it closer to the fence for no fee?

phone em up and tell them you are charging them ground rent for the last 6 years for the cable trespassing onto your land :hihi:

Not really interested in the money, unless you imply to use it as a threat to make them move it.

And who do i actually phone, BT? Openreach?

Realise this post (not funny!) is old, but just saw it. Hope it's gone by now, but if not you can reply & I'll give you some advice on how to approach BT and not pay from an ex-employee who has got posts moved for customers f.o.c.

Hi Gaucin

I have similar, though slightly different problem & would be very grateful for your advice. My profile should be set to receive email from fellow board members.

I live on a very busy, quite narrow trunk road. I have a pole on the pavement immediately to the right side of my drive end. This completely masks oncoming cars & motor bikes when they are behind it.

It was replaced with a new pole a few years back & had an objections notice attached. Unfortunately I was oversees for an extended period at the time otherwise I would have kicked up a fuss immediately.

I have since written to Open Reach requesting a site survey, but they, at the last count, wanted £200 + VAT just to come & look.

I replied stating that if their view obstruction causes an accident by me missing seeing a vehicle/bike, that I would hold them jointly liable.

No further response.

Any suggestions?

Ring BT and kick up a fuss and if they dont remove it damage the tree so they will have to remove it

Hi i am Irondukes wife. We had this problem about 9 yrs ago. Ring Bt and tell them that it is blocking the access to your home. Everything has to be completed before you put the call into them including the drop kerb. They will then come out and move it for nothing.

I have a very similar problem. A BT pole partially blocks my drive and it's just impossible to fit a medium sized car on the drive. The previous owners of the house had no car so they just weren't bothered. I have contacted BT on a few occasions now but they are not willing to move the pole if I don't pay. I am willing to pay a reasonable amount e.g. £2k but £18k as BT suggested seems ridiculous.

I also tried the local council as technically the pole is on their land but they are saying that the pole is BT's responsibility.

Does anybody know any companies / solicitors that might be dealing with that sort of cases?

Gaucin – Have you actually helped anyone in a similar matter? I am unable to send you a private message as I haven't got enough posts on the forum.

Hi I have a similar problem. We have just purchased a house that has a drive exit onto a fast single carriage road (60 limit, however many dont keep to it).

The previous owners used a different exit that they didnt have right of way to, which isnt available to us now.

The telephone post is on the left of the drive as you look into the property. So as you leave, it obstructs the view of traffic from the right. It seems to me to be a serious hazard. To be honest if the post had been put 2ft further in it wouldnt cause a problem.

I have spoken to BT, they dont think they can find a wayleave agreement. So it appears they dont have a right to have it their, but i cannot guarantee this.

Any ideas on what the best approach is?

Gaucin, i would be interested in you opinion if you have time.

Thanks,

Rob.

Maybe speak to your solicitor; perhaps your title deeds might throw some light on the problem.

Or he/she might arrange a suitable Indemnity Insurance policy for you.

But don't yourself muck around with the pole. BT may have rights to retain it even if there's no Wayleave.

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone got any further regards this thread? I'm in a similar position myself, having a pole restricting access.

Had Openreach out today and they basically state they can do as they please, post has been there 30 years or so before the driveway was installed. Minimum of 2-3k of my cost and he couldn't even give an actual estimate.

Moving house may be my only option.

Any help appreciated.

Regards

Mick