Treeton Dyke - Swimming

Afternoon one and all,

Was biking down at Dyke this weekend when i came across some signs I had not seen before. True I've not been down for some time so maybe it's already come up on here. Anyhow, the sign i saw "Swimming in this lake is illegal". Didn't look to official so possibly it's only just gone up and the weather has made it look old. Wasn't aware it had (or always had been) illegal to swim in dyke. Got fond memories growing up playing in the water in the summer months and was where i first learnt to swim. Maybe it's just there to scare people off from being silly and messing in the winter months, not sure. Just seems odd after years of seeing people swim there that a sign has just gone up.

Interested to hear from anyone who can shed light on this or can share memories of swimming there themselves.

Torr3x

Afternoon one and all,

Was biking down at Dyke this weekend when i came across some signs I had not seen before. True I've not been down for some time so maybe it's already come up on here. Anyhow, the sign i saw "Swimming in this lake is illegal". Didn't look to official so possibly it's only just gone up and the weather has made it look old. Wasn't aware it had (or always had been) illegal to swim in dyke. Got fond memories growing up playing in the water in the summer months and was where i first learnt to swim. Maybe it's just there to scare people off from being silly and messing in the winter months, not sure. Just seems odd after years of seeing people swim there that a sign has just gone up.

Interested to hear from anyone who can shed light on this or can share memories of swimming there themselves.

Torr3x

Treeton angling club and sailing club have put the signs up.. Make kids aware of the dangers as the boats are high speed boats

I was swimming there in the sixtes as a kid had some great times there :love::love::love:

You want to be careful.There's a huge pike that lives in there and it'll have your plums for it's dinner!

You want to be careful.There's a huge pike that lives in there and it'll have your plums for it's dinner!

:hihi::hihi::hihi::hihi:They caught it last week and served it up at the chippy next to JTF :hihi::hihi::hihi:

i used to go swimming there in the summers in the early 80s, was always supposed to be a dangerous place tho, with submerged dangers, leeches, pollution etc, watching dead sticklebacks floating past you was always a bit iffy lol

was one or two speedboats back then but i suppose if a clubs taken over it, is it public or private? suppose if its private for them then yeah itd be illegal to swim in

i used to go swimming there in the summers in the early 80s, was always supposed to be a dangerous place tho, with submerged dangers, leeches, pollution etc, watching dead sticklebacks floating past you was always a bit iffy lol

was one or two speedboats back then but i suppose if a clubs taken over it, is it public or private? suppose if its private for them then yeah itd be illegal to swim in

:hihi:

The sailing club owns Treeton Dyke . Treeton Angling club leases the water from them. The angling club is open to new members next wednesday 13th march at 8pm at the cricket club . Think its about £25 for new members O.A.P. £15. Plus one of payment of £20 for key to gate. Car behind you on every peg . They put a load of bream and carp in 2012. :hihi:

Rotherham Council own Treeton Dyke.

Its not even a sailing club, but a water skiing one, who pay to use it.

Rotherham Council own Treeton Dyke.

Its not even a sailing club, but a water skiing one, who pay to use it.

No they dont .Rotherham council own the woods on the road side which go down to the edge of the dyke on the wood side . The dyke is owned by the boat club that has high speed boats pulling skiers and can be very dangerous for swimmers. Treeton angling pay subs to boat club . A. C own access by a gate near railway bridge which they pay a token sum to R.C.for. Boat sailing club have there own access road via main road and cannot be used by A/C. Acess roads round the rest of the dyke belongs to boating club [ A/C committe member] The boating sailing club own the dyke and do not lease it from R/C. They bought it just after 2nd world war for a palatry sum.

I was swimming there in the sixtes as a kid had some great times there :love::love::love:

That's why it's Polluted now.:hihi:

No they dont .Rotherham council own the woods on the road side which go down to the edge of the dyke on the wood side . The dyke is owned by the boat club that has high speed boats pulling skiers and can be very dangerous for swimmers.

Sorry but you're wrong. The council has recently warned a group of wild swimmers that they're trespassing on council property and could be arrested under the "crime" of "theft of amenity" if they continue to swim in the dyke.

The ski club and angling club both pay Rotherham Council to use the dyke.

I know this because I've been helping said swimming group with their legal case.

The swimmers aren't even in the water at the routes the boats use.

Edited by alchresearch

Sorry but you're wrong. The council has recently warned a group of wild swimmers that they're trespassing on council property and could be arrested under the "crime" of "theft of amenity" if they continue to swim in the dyke.

The ski club and angling club both pay Rotherham Council to use the dyke.

I know this because I've been helping said swimming group with their legal case.

The swimmers aren't even in the water at the routes the boats use.

It used to be a part of Treeton pit. like Rother valley was Brookhouse pit.