Who Remembers The Wapentake?

http://www.borracho.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/rock/index7.shtml

Here is the link to the latest collection of people who could be found in the Wap in the early to mid 80's, one or two should look familiar if it's only the DJ

Before you ask I didn't include one of myself , don't want to scare you all awaay.

i remember the wap they should never have shut it when they reopened it as the casbah it was nothinglike the wap for a start you could see where you were going and there were to many suits in there :mad::gag:

What a fantastic nostalgic trip :D

I looked through your photos praying that there wouldn't be any of me lurking there and was then disappointed that there wasn't.

I would be interested to see what these people looked like now.....all staid and respectable with the semi, the 2.5 kids, the dog etc etc.

Have added this to my favourites so that I can keep looking in. Superb.

Yes they dont do pubs and clubs like it any more. I loved the wap its just not the same now.... casbah sucks does anyone remember ben, he looked a bit like derreck griffiths, he was a sound lad used to bump into him everywhere. but havent seen him for a good few years now remember having a good old headbang to napalm death in the leadmill where we just happend to bump into him again. yes a lot of the old faces have drifted away to pastures new

A few of the old faces can still be seen in the Corporation but most of them I suspect are looking for their zimmer frames as I type.

Ben was still to be seen about three years ago he was in the Boarddwalk and I had to wonder whether he was still trying to sell insurance policies.

Just a shame I haven't got any good pics of Olga and Madge who ran the place but I've got my spies out looking.

So enjoy your meander down memory lane and if there are any pics in your collections with a Sheffield rock theme I'm sure the site designer would be delighted to hear from you, also tell all your friends, aquaintances and anybody else who may be interested.

How many snakebites on the ceiling?....

There will never be another.

Good God!!!

I feel ancient after seeing those photos. Anyone remember the Saturday afternoons in the peace gardens following a session at the wap- black pudding and cider fuelled!!

Originally posted by WALLBUILDER

http://www.borracho.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/rock/index7.shtml

Here is the link to the latest collection of people who could be found in the Wap in the early to mid 80's, one or two should look familiar if it's only the DJ

Before you ask I didn't include one of myself , don't want to scare you all awaay.

Ahhh yes, it was the real deal that Wapentake. Great collection of photos!

They are all take long before my time at the "Wop" but looking at the mad combinations of hair and clothing makes me feel misty eyed with relief.

I was on the door for a while. Used to get paid four quid a night! I remember the 'Bucket of water song' being banned for obvoius reasons, Ken the DJ, the football tables and loads of mates down there. They used to have bands on wednesday nights for a while, Berlin, Heritage, Geddes Axe and Renegade. It was just about the most uncool time to be into rock music. Used to go to the Nelson as well and then onto Rebels.

A few of the old faces can still be seen in the Corporation but most of them I suspect are looking for their zimmer frames as I type.

zimmer frame???? It was not THAT many decades ago you know, only one!!!

But what a classic venue the Wapentake was......Friday and Saturday nights, superb, best times of my life. Nothing has come close (in Sheffield anyway) since.....its the atmosphere that made the place......just totally TOGETHER as one.....sounding like an old hippie there....which I am....so there!!

Originally posted by dodger

Good God!!!

I feel ancient after seeing those photos. Anyone remember the Saturday afternoons in the peace gardens following a session at the wap- black pudding and cider fuelled!!

Saturday afternoons sat in the Peace Gardens waiting for the Yorkshireman's Arms to open for the evening session. Groups of us sat around enjoying the sunshine and on occasion throwing someone in the fountain pool just by the eggbox. I know we used to look slightly threatening to some of the little old dears who would sit on the benches eyeing uss up nervously, however if the police came through we weren't misbehaving so all they could do is remind us to make sure we behaved ourselves. One guy used to bring his pet rat and another had one of his indian pythons with him, five foot of snake moving at speed as it tried to escape. I just wish I had my camera with me on more occasions.

Originally posted by Bloomdido

I was on the door for a while. Used to get paid four quid a night! I remember the 'Bucket of water song' being banned for obvoius reasons, Ken the DJ, the football tables and loads of mates down there. They used to have bands on wednesday nights for a while, Berlin, Heritage, Geddes Axe and Renegade. It was just about the most uncool time to be into rock music. Used to go to the Nelson as well and then onto Rebels.

Hi,

Just curious to know when you were on the door? I can remember two guys both called Mick, lovely chaps and very even tempered, little Mick wore glasses and had a thumb missing. A few years after we had Chris with his dog Taz and Russel who are both featured in the pics. With them was Robin who the girls all said had 'come to bed eyes' [girls will know what I mean]

A smoothie drunk and thrown out of Henry's came across one evening and managed to put his fist through the wire mesh glass door panel, the police merely had to follow the trail of blood, one other guy on the door at the time of Chris was a character called Wolf who went on to guard door at the Hornblower.