Excruciating upper stomach pain right hand side, what? trapped wind?

Yellowrose, i am not a doctor but from the symptoms you are describing it sounds like Gallstones. Go see your doctor and get it checked out.

That was my first thought.

Yellowrose, does it feel, initially, like you need to seriously burp, followed by increasing pain, then vomiting or nausea. Does it stop suddenly? If it gets very does your breathing change and when you exhale it "judders"?

Gallstones don't need to be triggered by food either they can just swish over the bile duct and become lodged which causes a blockage and a strangling/twisiting sensation which is very painful.

I actually didnt believe this because Ive had IBS for 20 odd years and pain has always been in the LOWER part of my abdomen and was of a different quality, like cramps, bowel pain.

Have you ever been tested for H.Pylori?

Many people suffer with it but often don't realise. A routine blood test can diagnose the condition, which if proved positive can be treated very effectively. 94% of patients if I recall correctly.

Symptoms include: bloatiness, belching, lower abdomen pain and acidity regulation problems.

Might be worth checking out.

Have you been checked for a duodenal ulcer? It's a possible if it's a very sharp localised pain that feels as if it goes all the way through your body??

That was my first thought.

Yellowrose, does it feel, initially, like you need to seriously burp, followed by increasing pain, then vomiting or nausea. Does it stop suddenly? If it gets very does your breathing change and when you exhale it "judders"?

Gallstones don't need to be triggered by food either they can just swish over the bile duct and become lodged which causes a blockage and a strangling/twisiting sensation which is very painful.

Yes it does but it doesnt judder. I can feel a difference if I try and breathe in sharply.

Its definitely not my appendix. I havent had one since 1978!

I havent been checked for h pylori either. The only things Ive had was a scan for my gall bladder in 2002 and then in 2005 I had a gastroscopy for something else (suspected coeliac). Both were negative, but of course time has passed since then.

You know this is sounding all very familiar to me... :( I've had pains in the exactly the same place as you are Yellowrose except I get mine every night and increasingly I'm not sleeping through. My docs have done bloods and I've been for an ultrasound on my upper adomen (not lower...) both seem to be fine.

Must admit I'm losing patience with my docs as their last solution was to lose weight (yeah I need to lose some but surely it can't be causing all these problems since I'm not that overweight!). I've another appointment tonight so we'll see what they have to say this time (and if it's negative I'm going for a second opinion..). Failing that I've no idea :(

For the second time in two months Ive woken in the night with absolutely excruciating pain under my right breast. Sometimes it seemed to be going right across to the other side, sometimes round my ribs to my back. Nothing improved this pain. At first I tried indigestion remedies, over the counter, then prescribed. Then I tried irritable bowel tablets, hot drinks, hot water bottle. Nothing improved it, I couldnt find a position that was comfortable and was walking up and down at 4.30 am! I feel nauseated as well.

The first time I got it we were so alarmed we phoned the emergency doctor. He said it was just trapped wind and would go away and persist with indigestion remedies and hot drinks. It went after several hours. I spoke to my doc after this and he thought it was just part of my irritable bowel and I should take my irritable bowel medicine. I actually didnt believe this because Ive had IBS for 20 odd years and pain has always been in the LOWER part of my abdomen and was of a different quality, like cramps, bowel pain.

It happened again last night and we didnt phone the doctor even though it was severe because I felt a bit stupid after being told it was trapped wind. I just couldnt believe the severity of it. Has anyone else had this?

I get this every now and again. The first time it happened it was scary, but it turned out to be indigestion or trapped wind. It only usually happens at night because you've possibly swallowed air. Because you're lying down, air gets trapped as it can't travel freely up the gullet making you burp. My "cure" is drinking about half a pint of water as quickly as I can, which will help the air to rise and escape. That works for me, but may not for everyone.

If it happens on a (ir)regular basis, keep a diary, including what you've eaten and drunk the day before. You may find a pattern forming.

Well my doc now thinks I either have a kidney infection or a kidney stone - am off to the hospital for xrays. Just hope they find something they can treat and get all this sorted!

Does it ease when you stand up?

I had this last year, at Easter time. When to the walk in centre with what I thought was a blood clot waiting to stop my heart dead. They sent me to the Doctor's Cooperative - he diagnosed indigestion.

Went to my doctors a couple of days later as I'd only had about 3 hours sleep in 96 hours. He checked my vertibrae, discounted shingles and then sent me for an x-ray - along with some strong pain killers. Also ruled out my gall-bladder - after a good prod (I didn't hit the roof so it wasn't an inflamed one).

Finally found the cause. Cheap Easter egg chocolate! This was causing acid to bypass a dodgy hiartus (spelled wrong) hernia. Once the acid inhibitors that the emergency doctor had given me had kicked in (about 7 days), together with a reduction in chocolate intake late at night, and no curries either, the pain went.

Had it a few times since - but nowhere near as bad.

If it is worse at night (lying down), check your diet. Stop caffiene, chocolate, fags, booze, spicy food. It's probably something else but try that anyhow.

G

I really do feel for you. I don't know what it is, and it doesn't sound like gastric problems with stomach acids. I don't know if it is trapped winds, but the way you described it, it seems to move?

Anyway, I just wanted to say that, go back to your doctors. Even if you feel stupid, cos you're in pain. It's your life... Going back a second time certainly make the Dr see you mean business. Anyway, if the GP does refer you to a hospital, you can also choose, which hospital to go to too. Did you know this? I recently learnt of this from an auntie. So, if one hospital or GP is not to your liking, you can choose to see another just for referral. You never know, the Drs may have overlooked something from first initial assessments. It does happen.

Have a look at this.

http://www.medicinenet.com/gastroesophageal_reflux_disease_gerd/page3.htm

Google on "Acid reflux" for other articles and have a look at the symptons. Are they similar? In particular, notice how it can be mistaken for angina.

In a way I hope it is this as then you'll be able to get rid of it. However, having had it, it was the most painful experience I'd ever had. Getting out of bed took 15 minutes.

It was very strange. It was so painful that whilst laying down, a voice would say "don't move, don't move" as the thought was that it would get worse - as if it could! However, moving didn't affect it that much.

Once stood or sat up, it would go after about 20 minutes. But come back within 5 minutes of lying down. The dihydrocodiene pain relief would allow me an hours sleep.

Mine came on with eating cheap chocolate - but the feeling is that it was what I was doing that weekend that caused some damage to my stomach. I'd spent 8 hours up a ladder over-reaching at the top weatherproofing a conservatory. This was followed by shifting railway sleepers in the garden then putting kitchen cupboards onto a garage wall. The doctors reckoned that I'd put so much pressure on my stomach that it had been damaged.

Good luck. Let us know how you get on.

G

The problem is especially where the abdomen is concerned there are so many conditions it can be. So many conditions that have similar symptoms that can range from a mild problem to a major problem.

I was told I had IBS but just had my gallbladder removed that was so badly infected it was days, even hours away from rupturing.

Years ago I needed to give up smoking (I have now) because it was causing me to have a little raynauds, this is now a full blown autoimmune disorder (scleroderma) where I have to have my heart, lungs, kidneys, stomach & bowels checked annually, along with all the problems it causes now. I don't mean to worry you & you're probably fine but you are the best judge of your own body. What I am trying to say you need a definate diagnosis. I'm sure its probably nothing but it is better to be safe than sorry.