How to bump start an automatic car

Eh? To tow an auto you just put the thing in neutral, the gearbox n engine are then fully disengaged, there's nothing moving apart from the wheels. An auto-box will only engage with a running engine.

Apart from the wheels and the entire drivetrain....including the sun, planet and ring gears. An autobox is always fully engaged with the wheels, it's just not engaged to the engine in N. Unless the lube pump is driven from the output shaft which is very uncommon it will trash the gearbox.

It is possible to bump one if you go fast enough but you are driving the impellor the wrong way and it is very inefficient to do so. Hence as people point out you can do it if you go fast enough, and 40mph is the sort of speed you need. It really really isn't advised.

An automatic can be towed a short distance at low speed but to be ssafe it's probably better to make sure the drive wheels are lifted clear of the road.

I've never heard of an automatic being bump started and I'm sure my Haynes manuals said as such.

If anyone is going to invest in a set of jump leads don't go for the red one's usually under £5 with crocodile clips about the same size as clothes pegs they tend to be useless and can start melting. Far better to spend more cash and get a heavy duty pair that wouldn't look out of place in an AA van.

Old automatics in cold weather can be a pain to start which is why I usually carried a fully charged spare battery in the boot along with my jump leads of course.

An automatic can be towed a short distance at low speed but to be ssafe it's probably better to make sure the drive wheels are lifted clear of the road.

I've never heard of an automatic being bump started and I'm sure my Haynes manuals said as such.

If anyone is going to invest in a set of jump leads don't go for the red one's usually under £5 with crocodile clips about the same size as clothes pegs they tend to be useless and can start melting. Far better to spend more cash and get a heavy duty pair that wouldn't look out of place in an AA van.

Old automatics in cold weather can be a pain to start which is why I usually carried a fully charged spare battery in the boot along with my jump leads of course.

I have an automatic. My OH got me a "Power Pack". It has a built in battery, an air pump and a pair of jump leads. It can be used to do emergency starts. If it doesn't work first time you can recharge it whilst having lunch and try again.

I have never used it. My prefered emergency start technique is to call Green Flag and have lunch whilst they start the beast.:thumbsup:

So that's why the manual for the last 4 cars I've had said that they couldn't be towed then?

I'll take the manufacturers opinion thanks.

Ive had plenty of automatics towed and didnt need to be on the back of a flatbed tow truck. Car went into neutral and towed from the back wheels. Though Ive never had a car be towed for more than 45 minute drive or so.

Bump starting a car is typically only possible in manual transmission vehicles, as automatic transmissions often rely on hydraulic transfer of power from the engine to the gearbox for their operation.

Thankyou Google.

just got a vintage automatic car for next to nothing. It's in good condition and just sailed through its MOT, starts first time and so on but I was wondering just now, if you have to, how do you bump start cars like this where you can't slip it into gear. Maybe I'm overlooking something obvious.

no dont try you cant one reason being the torque convertor can be damaged and is expensive to replace.

Automatic Transmission

1. Easier to drive.

2. Faster off the line acceleration.

3. Less components to replace. (such as clutch)

Manual Transmission

1. Better Fuel efficiency

2. Better power control.

3. Lighter weight.

4. More power due to lack of drive line components

l have had lots of automatic cars, and never had to jump start them, get a new battery in.

I had got a car last week and me too was on the same question, hopefully here got some info. I should thank to google to take me to this page. lolz:love:

I had got a car last week and me too was on the same question, hopefully here got some info. I should thank to google to take me to this page. lolz:love:

That's exactly what I thought. :huh::huh:

Even if you could bump start an automatic, it could possibly cause lasting damage to the cat converter in the exhaust by pumping unburnt petrol into it I believe.

The best way to bump start an automatic car is streight over a cliff.... :thumbsup: Horrible things ;)