Connecting a gas cooker?

no it would not that is what we pay for you corgi robbing bxxxxxxxs

I will stick to my statement if they were not meant for DIY they would not be allowed to sell them stop scaremongering everybody with your pathetic rants about only corgi registered can fit them you know it is not true point me me to a regulation with says only corgi registered can uncouple a bayonet fitting and reconnect a bayonet fitting if you can I will concede to you until then stop trying to profit from peoples ignorance.

"work" in relation to a gas fitting includes any of the following activities carried out by any person, whether an employee or not, that is to say -

(a) installing or re-connecting the fitting;

(b) maintaining, servicing, permanently adjusting, disconnecting, repairing, altering or renewing the fitting or purging it of air or gas;

© where the fitting is not readily movable, changing its position; and

(d) removing the fitting;

but the expression does not include the connection or disconnection of a bayonet fitting or other self-sealing connector.

Statutory Instruments 1998 No. 2451

I will stick to my statement if they were not meant for DIY they would not be allowed to sell them stop scaremongering everybody with your pathetic rants about only corgi registered can fit them you know it is not true point me me to a regulation with says only corgi registered can uncouple a bayonet fitting and reconnect a bayonet fitting if you can I will concede to you until then stop trying to profit from peoples ignorance.

a bayonet fitting is a user fitting, it is the hose to the cooker for which you need a corgi, cookers don't come with attached hoses when new.

Can't you read.... no-one has said that you can't uncouple or re-connect to a bayonet fitting as yes its a 'user fitting'. Go back and read what you originally said which was:

1. you think that its Ok take a bayonet fitting and install it into a gas carcass.

2. you believe that a bayonet fitting is 'foolproof'.

3. however, just to make sure everything is fine call Transco.

I think your last statement contradicts the first two.

And read the initial statement to which the reply was made. 'Bethcasson' wants a new cooker installing. So who do you think should do this.....you???

Can't you read.... no-one has said that you can't uncouple or re-connect to a bayonet fitting as yes its a 'user fitting'. Go back and read what you originally said which was:

1. you think that its Ok take a bayonet fitting and install it into a gas carcass.

2. you believe that a bayonet fitting is 'foolproof'.

3. however, just to make sure everything is fine call Transco.

I think your last statement contradicts the first two.

And read the initial statement to which the reply was made. 'Bethcasson' wants a new cooker installing. So who do you think should do this.....you???

if it is just a bayonet fitting I will do it yes

A gas cooker bayonet fitting is a gas fitting and as such the gas regulations apply - period. If you think that because its possible for anybody to uncouple and recouple it that makes it ok to do so, you are mistaken. The actual intention of the flexible hose is so that the cooker can be carefully moved out so that cleaning can take place without disconnecting the appliance. The bayonet connection allows the hose to swivel on the O ring.The gas regs are there to save lives not line corgi fitters pockets. A cooker is an unflued gas appliance siting, ventilation and correct working of the appliance, operation of the safety devices all need to be checked plus a stability bracket. NEW as well a second hand appliances can leak I've had them all. Plus the correct positioning of the back plate elbow to allow the hose to hang correctly is vital.(far too many registered installers dont do this either ,) Its very rare one out of fifty ? where the backplate dose'nt need moving so pipework is usually involved. A gas fitter would have to pay £300 or so to be assessed as competent to work on or install cookers! As for transco checking your work- if its classed as immediately dangerous and you in your ignorance have fitted it CORGI and the HSE will be after you. Make no mistake illegal and incompetant gas fitters are been jailed. On this occasion you are not never wrong but just plain wrong.

im a very competent person i fitted my sisters cooker via bayonet fittings new hoses etc .on checking it leaked it had some debris in it .never be sure .always have it checked.never use old hoses.how much is a life worth

im a very competent person i fitted my sisters cooker via bayonet fittings new hoses etc .on checking it leaked it had some debris in it .never be sure .always have it checked.never use old hoses.how much is a life worth
Theres nothing wrong with using old hoses as long as they are in good condition.

As for competent it depends upon your knowledge/training, what was the working pressure ? Pressure drop between meter and appliance ? how did you test the new cooker for leaks (internally) ? And what sort of stability device did you use ? Do you know what the minimum ventilation requirements are for different sized rooms ?

Unless you can answer all those questions and possibly more the law would not look upon you as being competent, also how would you register the appliances installation which is now a legal requirement and can only be done by CORGI registered engineers ?

Holy crap just realised this is a year old !!!

ok people you know there is the diy of the world and there always going to do it but bare in mind if you don't have a corgi certificate of installation

you got insurance no you not its void if you diy this but you're gonna do it yourself anyway so here is what to do which is a must stay alive rule.

1 Go out and buy a calibrated gas leak tester

2 go out and buy a gas carbon/monoxide tester calibrated and cert

3 go out and buy atomized gas tester which can detect airborne gas particles.

4 get all your ptfe gas tape make sure its gas ptfe

5 get leak testing paste

6 get the correct fittings for there is one for natural gas and lpg make sure its certified for your condition and environment. Very important as if a NG fitting leaks it tends to shut off because of the drop in back pressure. not to mention depending on environment blow back arrestors are needed.

Still wanting or thinking of doing it yourself lol

7 after connecting do all the tests everything. don't risk nothing never say that will do.

if the flame burn very irregular be warned something might be wrong.

Test IT WITH A CALIBRATED AND CERTIFIED TESTER NOT CHEAP TAT.

make sure the mbar pressure of your gas supply is correct and the appliance is to work with that pressure. If its not its transco who need to adjust it as you will be screwed in a world of sht without a paddle if you break the seal and adjust it yourself as that regulator for one don't belong to you and you don't have the right to touch it safety first please.

make sure you test the fumes from the flue of the appliance thats where its exhaust is being kicked out sometimes a new cooker can smell like a gas leak but its just the chemicals used on it but test it with a tester to be 100% sure

all in all the equipment will cost you 10 times what an engineer will charge you and you still don't get a certificate your insurance company gives you so urm guess what its better to get it done by them.

maybe if you do it yourself then get an engineer to check it all over test it etc if you can but either way your risking it.

GOOD LUCK

Oh I forgot if you have a gas flue for the appliance like boiler etc then you need smoke bombs so you can see if the smoke flows up the flue and out if it comes inside then flue is not working or blocked. some appliances are sealed and do not connect inside air with its exhausts fumes but you need to check see if the fumes are going out as fumes can leak out very important death is imminent if you don't. i value my life so i take no chances.

well it is law for places of work i.e. a factory workshop etc and believe it or not in a residential flat where you have others above or bellow or all around you there must be a resposability that the landlord must make sure all appliances are sound safe and condemned if unsafe.

So you can not in anyway tamper or install your own in this environment.

ive never seen any documentation ordering you by law when its your own property just screws you insurance up and leaves you with no leg to stand on in court if something was to happen so guess its not the problem of the gas supplier neither if that happened neither manufacturer guess you voided warranty too. CORGI is just a safety net for you not against you its there to protect you so if it did happen you can sue get a new house etc. because its not your fault.

Please don't meddle with it as 'wizzard' suggests. How would you know that there was not a gas leak? Theres more to it than just plugging the cooker hose in. Is the cooker new or secondhand. Either way a CORGI gas fitter would also check that it works efficiently and safely - thats what you are paying for :thumbsup:

Easily solved, you can get an aerosol that turns green when there is a gas leak from most hardware shops, so that's that problem, just plug in n twist...spray and and pray :hihi:

No need to turn the gas off, it's very much like a hydraulic joint, nothing will escape...