Simvastatin...Are you taking them?

does anyone get any side effects taking these simvastatin ? as i have been prescribed some of these 20 mg once a day , but i've not started taking them yet bit wary as i've heard they cause muscle weakness .

does anyone get any side effects taking these simvastatin ? as i have been prescribed some of these 20 mg once a day , but i've not started taking them yet bit wary as i've heard they cause muscle weakness .

I was told the same but I don't think I have experienced muscle weakness but having said that I am still recovering from the virus that attacked my heart muscles so its been the last thing on my mind.

I have very strong leg muscles as a cyclist but I have not got the chance to restart any training so I don't know if they are as strong as they were 5 weeks ago before I was taken into hospital.

I think I can deal with a little muscle weakness to be honest if the tablets do the job.

Thanks for the postings, very interesting comments.

Yes I've been taking them about 4 years now, I had a stroke when I was 50 and I was originally taking asprin, but they started to upset my stomach so the doctor changed the asprin to Simvastatin, and I've never had any more trouble.

My husband takes Simvastatin.Hes had to take them for 6 weeks.His cholestrol count was 7,which is very high.Hes just waiting for the results of his blood cholstrol test.Hes stopped taking them for the moment,because they used to upset his stomache,especially in bed at night & he did have diahorrea at one time.He took the 40mg dose,so when his blood test comes back he is going to ask the doc to reduce the dosage.The doctor says that high cholestrol can run in families.

Iv'e been taking Simvastatin for about 5 months now, as I stated earlier in this thread, I started on 40mg, this was reduced to 20mg about a month ago. At no time have I had any side effects :D

Once you are on these, are you on them forever or do you come off them once the cholesterol count comes down to an "acceptable level"?

In answer to Mr H I think it depends on the cause of the high cholesterol. My husband has been taking statins for over 10 years due to an inherited condition, which resulted in a heart attack, followed by a bypass in 1996. Even on an almost fat free diet, his cholesterol levels were around 9. He takes 80mg Simvastatin and luckily has had no serious side effects. His cholesterol levels are fairly steady now around 5.

In some cases diet alone can lower cholesterol, but some conditions make this impossible - in these cases I would think statins would always be needed.

According to the news today, a new miracle drug, offering a long term solution to we Simvastin patients may be available in the not too distant future...........

A new Chloresterol Treatment

Mine was 7. I took my first Simvastatin yesterday - I was just wondering whether I would be takign them forever. I guess I will have to wait until my next blood test to find out!

I don't even take aspirin, usually!

Just found out yesterday that my cholestral level is 7!! I`ve got to go on tablets for the rest of my natural. Does anyone else take them and are there many side effects. I`ve been told that i could suffer from cramps and also that i should cut my alcohol levels to just about zero. Sounds like i`m going to have a fun life (not) :(

I am reviving this because someone else has asked the same question and I don't know how to reply quoting the link.....:huh: sorry.