How easy is it to move a boiler somewhere else?

I have a small kitchen, and potential cupboard space is being taken up by the boiler, which isn't very attractive and I'd rather not have it in the kitchen anyway.

But where else could it be moved to and just how big a job would it be?? As the boiler is relatively old and probably not very efficient, would it be better to just get a new one rather than trying to move an old one?

I would definitely say better to get a new and more efficient boiler. It is possible to move a boiler but you would need a new flue and all the pipes would need running to the new location and the electrics. I know lots of engineers who have moved boilers only to find they do not work when relocated (sod's law)....it only takes a few knocks to create a major headache. The labour cost involved in moving an old boiler and fitting a new one is pretty much the same so better to fit a new boiler as the old one may not last and you will have to pay for a new one anyway a few years down the line. You can fit a boiler on most external walls but you would need a proper survey to outline all your possibilities. If you would like any further advice or a free survey then please get in touch, cheers,

Steve

Hit the nail on the head. I worked on a property were someone moved the boiler, needless to say it leaked like a sieve. Meaning new boiler required.

Where can you site a new boiler?

Generally you're looking at where you can put the flue. There are a number of restrictions. Mainly to do with preventing flue gases from re-entering a the property or causing a nuisance to neighbours. There is plenty of info about this on boiler manufacturers sites on the internet. Alternatively get someone out to sort that out for you.

You might also like to consider the type of new boiler you would like , if you want a combi then consider how far the hot water will have to travel before it comes out of the taps.

It is possible to calculate the saving in fuel you would make by changing your boiler. If you spend £100 on gas but your boiler is only 50% efficient then only £50 is being used for warmth. Change this for a 90% efficient boiler and to get the same warmth then your gas bill is only £55.56, a nice saving that will mount up. Try it on real figures to find out just how much. It might pay back quite quickly. Of course you have to consider the life expectancy of the new boiler so it might be worth getting a good one..

I might be able to look at it.

Where can you site a new boiler?

Generally you're looking at where you can put the flue. There are a number of restrictions. Mainly to do with preventing flue gases from re-entering a the property or causing a nuisance to neighbours. There is plenty of info about this on boiler manufacturers sites on the internet. Alternatively get someone out to sort that out for you.

You might also like to consider the type of new boiler you would like , if you want a combi then consider how far the hot water will have to travel before it comes out of the taps.

It is possible to calculate the saving in fuel you would make by changing your boiler. If you spend £100 on gas but your boiler is only 50% efficient then only £50 is being used for warmth. Change this for a 90% efficient boiler and to get the same warmth then your gas bill is only £55.56, a nice saving that will mount up. Try it on real figures to find out just how much. It might pay back quite quickly. Of course you have to consider the life expectancy of the new boiler so it might be worth getting a good one..

I might be able to look at it.

I'm sorry Martin but i would have to disagree with you efficiency savings. Unfortunately, a lot of company's tell customers that there 50% efficient boiler is throwing 1/2 the gas bill outside as a waste product.....so a 90% efficient boiler will give them a real big saving in the gas bill......where do i sign up for a new boiler. Even a 50% old crock of a boiler will recirculate some of that waste heat.

There are many other factors including latent heat recovery, heat trransference, type of secondary heat exchanger being used on the boiler. For example would you fit a 90% efficient rated Biaisi or a 90% efficient Vaillant , knowing the vaillant is super insulated and has a cracking stainless heat exchanger.

Realistically, i say that if someone fits a good quality, reliable "A" rated condensing boiler they will save approx 1/3 on their gas bill, so payback on the boiler cost is say 3 years. BUT also the benefits of having a new efficient boiler are there from day 1. Better temp control, lower emissions, faster heat up of system, better hot water temp and flow.

I've only just moved into the house, and wasn't thinking that heating would be an issue until the end of the summer, but it's been so cold this week!

At the moment the heating seems to be on and the radiators are red hot, or off and the whole house is cold, and I'm not sure where the thermostat measures the temperature but it doesn't come on when put at 18' although I'm wearing three fleeces and it doesn't feel anything like 18' to me!!

It could just be the thermostat, but given I'm putting in a new kitchen within the next couple of months it seemed a sensible time to look at the boiler as well.

Yes there are many benefits of having a new boiler.

I was trying to supply a simple monetary framework on which HCT could base his decision and assuming the GOV efficiency database means what it says. Does it exclude or include hot water production?

It sounds like the start of an interesting discussion on what is meant by efficiency, the components that complete-heat mentions (insulation, heat exchangers) are the very ones that give that efficiency and are in the equation already. I don't think the database includes add ons such as climate controls and specialized control routines etc. These components give the fastest payback e.g.the external thermostat, which allows the boiler (if programmed correctly) to react to outside temperatures and so operate most economically by modulating the burner to get the radiator temperatures just right.

In terms of economics the life expectancy of the boiler is a large consideration in many people's minds, this depends on how it is used and maintained (and here the climatic controls are helpful).

We cannot ignore the cost of servicing and replacement parts. You have to remember that some simple old inefficient boilers with cast iron heat exchangers have been soldiering on for years outliving their new contemporaries who are blowing pcbs at over £100 a time.

Some swings and roundabouts here :)

Edited by MartinsGas

I've only just moved into the house, and wasn't thinking that heating would be an issue until the end of the summer, but it's been so cold this week!

At the moment the heating seems to be on and the radiators are red hot, or off and the whole house is cold, and I'm not sure where the thermostat measures the temperature but it doesn't come on when put at 18' although I'm wearing three fleeces and it doesn't feel anything like 18' to me!!

It could just be the thermostat, but given I'm putting in a new kitchen within the next couple of months it seemed a sensible time to look at the boiler as well.

The thermostat measure the temperature in its surrounding area, usually the hallway, but do not necessarily rely on the reading to be correct (ie 18 may actually be 16 or 20), use it as a guide.....so if you need to have it on 21 for comfort then that is your preferred setting. Also, if you do not have thermostatic radiator valves you could try tweaking down the ones in occasional rooms and opening fully ones in priority rooms ie the lounge. TRV's are a much better solution for comfort and economy and you can almost guarantee when you touch any old rad valve it will start to weep a little black tear.......as they always do when I flush any system. If you are having the kitchen done then you could consider getting a couple of free surveys for moving/replacing the boiler and see how it fits into your budget.

You've got some decent advice on here why not get three of us out and compare quotes ??

I do appreciate all the advice but I've only been here a week and I'm already busy all next week with people coming about damp, fixing timbers, double glazing, secondary glazing, delivering a bed, sweeping the chimney, measuring up the kitchen...

I shall follow the advice from corgigasman and try tweaking some of the radiators, and when I get a minute I shall certainly be asking for some quotes :).

I do appreciate all the advice but I've only been here a week and I'm already busy all next week with people coming about damp, fixing timbers, double glazing, secondary glazing, delivering a bed, sweeping the chimney, measuring up the kitchen...

I shall follow the advice from corgigasman and try tweaking some of the radiators, and when I get a minute I shall certainly be asking for some quotes :).

When you do, consider using the regulars on here. As youve found youve already been given some reliable and free advice. You will get your in box full of pm's offering to do the job for peanuts...:loopy: