Currys Chesterfield Rd tel number (not 0870 one)??

They have the 0870 numbers so that your call gets answered and you don't get so frustrated. It also means that staff in store can deal with customers in store and don't have to spend all day answering the phone !

If the query you have needs to be answered by the store (which is not unheard of but is rare) then the call centre staff can get through to the store. As the store are not inundated with calls from customers it is more likely that this call will be answered.

Is it so strange a thought that companies often do this to help customers ? I know it does not always work this way but it is usually done with good intent.

They have the 0870 numbers so that your call gets answered and you don't get so frustrated. It also means that staff in store can deal with customers in store and don't have to spend all day answering the phone !

If the query you have needs to be answered by the store (which is not unheard of but is rare) then the call centre staff can get through to the store. As the store are not inundated with calls from customers it is more likely that this call will be answered.

Is it so strange a thought that companies often do this to help customers ? I know it does not always work this way but it is usually done with good intent.

If it was to help customers, it wouldn't be a premium rate line.

If it was to help customers, it wouldn't be a premium rate line.

Exactly... and the woman I spoke to on the premium number did not answer my question about credit... she just said I would have to go to the store, but that is why I tried to ring in the first place, so it was a total waste of time.

0870 is national rate not premium rate. Companies have them (although they will soon be changing to 0844) so that customer have the convenience of one number to call and don't have to search the phone book or internet for each individual number.

Just giving my opinion so don't shoot me for that, I just happen to think that these numbers are there to help customers although I will admit that it does not always work that way.

...........Companies have them (although they will soon be changing to 0844) so that customer have the convenience of one number to call and don't have to search the phone book or internet for each individual number.

Many companies have them because they take a cut of the call charges.

0870 is national rate not premium rate.

No, it's a premium rate. It's defined by Ofcom as "Special services: Higher rate'. I believe it can cost up to 8p/minute, with the owner of the number taking a share of the revenue, up to 5p/min.

Nice to know that a company can charge you nearly £5/hour for the privilege of listening to music while they make you wait until they can get round to dealing with you.

In my book 'customer service' and 0870 don't go together.