How/what is GKR karate?

We had some people coming door to door enquiring if anyone wanted to learn karate in Go-Kan-Ru style in our area. They were charging 5.50 per hour session and also there was a registration fee. What put me off was that according to them the registration fee is normally £80 and it would cost me £22 only if i signed up straight away. Had not yet seen any hard sell for any sports activity till this and makes me wonder if they are really genuine....or is it worth it.

I know exactly how GKR work

they advertise for instructors

using the cathphrase " no experience needed as full trainign will be given"

This is how they do it

they get joe bloggs to sign up as an instructor, send him on a few seminars

give him a black belt , assign him a "buddy" tell him then to market it door to door and then open a club up.

As joe bloggs progresses he will have to learn more techniques on seminars so as his students learn , joe bloggs learns too.

their actual standard of their instructors is (from what i have seen) **** poor

id give it a wide berth and only a total fool would entertain it

Well put Freddy! Did the **** word begin with a P or an S? :D

Have a look at e-budo.com

Look in the area marked 'bad budo'

lots about GKR

I think one comment said they thought it wasn't apparantly well thought out to begin with as 'Gokan' means rape or rapist in japanese

Hi Jammie,

It's exactly as freddylee says.I have personally seen the ads in the Jobcentre.

what area are they looking at opening Dojos?

The ebudo link shows some kids grading sessions. They're in a large sports hall doing Kata, packed in V.Tight at £15 each.

Shockings one word!

Thats why I asked:

"what area are they looking at opening Dojos?"

If they came door knocking round here I'd like to be prepared with questions and a print out of some of the points on bad budo!

Wow, that link(http://www.e-budo.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6554) is definately shocking! Wouldnt want to get invovled in a system which esentially is a scam from the looks of it.

They were doing door to door rounds in Brincliffe-Netheredge area. But they had a brochure which suggested they had a lot of local centres.

Glad i didnt get roped in! Thanks everyone!

If you are thinking of starting a martial art, theres loads of help on here. People should be able to point you in the direction of a selection of clubs that do what you'd be looking for, for you (or your kid?) With instructors who count their experience in years