Tony Benn answering questions on the Euro

Getting back to the question

Think Tony is wrong on this question and I have a lot of admiration for Tony on many points

The problem is that GB has probably missed the boat on the Euro. We should have gone in when the other countries changed.

Last year I went over to Ireland and the changes there have been terrific and most of the positive changes are due to EU money and the Euro has not ended democracy or any other bogeyman scares that surround any national change.

The Euro has and will always be a political decision not an economic one. Economically we are stuck with sterling, mostly because of the prevailing attitudes at the top very much like the attitudes of the people who have posted on this thread...posters to the left and right of the political spectrum.

Once again we are stuck in the past and because of the recession and the looming prospect of a Tory Govt...the question will not be raised for another 4 to 5 years.

Great shame

If you recall, it is you that are the one trying to cover up for having used a far right John Birch society source to misrepresent the views of the US public.

No you are trying to use that as a cover for you being wrong, I told you that you could use google to find other examples and even gave you a link to one, there are plenty of examples out there of what the US think of the EU.

You were trying to make out that the EU was a good thing and you gave the US as an example, A totally different kettle of fish as i would think union wasn't forced upon them in the underhand way that it is being forced on the people of the UK.

Reptep can refute all this of course.... it's just that she can't be bothered.

Watch that you don't fall off the settee, the floors a million miles down.

No you are trying to use that as a cover for you being wrong, I told you that you could use google to find other examples and even gave you a link to one, there are plenty of examples out there of what the US think of the EU.

You were trying to make out that the EU was a good thing and you gave the US as an example, A totally different kettle of fish as i would think union wasn't forced upon them in the underhand way that it is being forced on the people of the UK.

I think you will find that in America they fought a Civil War over the issue of the union in the 1870s. Perhaps you could google that.

This country, voted for EU membership in a democratic national referendum in 1972, perhaps that is another one to google.

Perhaps now you could address the real question posed in the title of this thread.

I will of course give you plenty of time to google your response:hihi:

I think you will find that in America they fought a Civil War over the issue of the union in the 1870s. Perhaps you could google that.

This country, voted for EU membership in a democratic national referendum in 1972, perhaps that is another one to google.

Perhaps now you could address the real question posed in the title of this thread.

Fail. People in Britain had a referendum in 1973 on our membership of the EEC, not the EU.

Is YOUR google on the blink?? :hihi:

Edited by Aim4

Fail. People in Britain had a referendum in 1973 on our membership of the EEC, not the EU.

Your lot camapigned in 72 and lost. The govts that signed the EU charter went into democratic national elections with that printed in their mainfesto. Your lot lost

Your fighting irrelevant battles, over issues that were resolved over 30 years ago.

The South lost the Civil War and are to my knowledge still part of the US union.

You are a political luddite. The debate has moved on

You arguments are irrelevant and on this issue so is Benn but everyone knows his views have been for the large part out of date for last 30 years

72 or 73...you lost then and you will lose gain at any ballot box on the question

Now why is that so difficult to understand

How about getting with the programme and addressing the isse in the thread

Your arguments and your website signature remind me of that Japanese soldier stranded on that Pacific island still fighting the second world war 30 years after it had finished

Move on man

Edited by Teabag

I would rather be governed by the EU than any major UK political party.

Hopefully a continental, and eventually world government can become a reality.

Together we can do more.

No need to google as i'm well aware of the Civil war, they fought for what they got, perhaps it may take another one here to get our liberty's back eventually,

and like another poster has said is your google on the blink.

I would rather be governed by the EU than any major UK political party.

Hopefully a continental, and eventually world government can become a reality.

Together we can do more.

Heartily agree and not forgetting that Europe has not been involved in a major continental war...the EEC and the EU can take some credit for that

Just look at the terrble history of Europe in the 20th century...is that what we want to return to?

Your lot camapigned in 72 and lost. The govts that signed the EU charter went into democratic national elections with that printed in their mainfesto. Your lot lost

Your fighting irrelevant battles, over issues that were resolved over 30 years ago.

The South lost the Civil War and are to my knowledge still part of the US union.

You are a political luddite. The debate has moved on

You arguments are irrelevant and on this issue so is Benn but everyone knows his views have been for the large part out of date for last 30 years

Not so. It was our entry into the EEC that was the issue 30 years ago.

Now as it happens, although i had my reservations about aspects of the EEC, on the whole i didnt have too much of a problem with it.

The EU on the other-hand, is a completely different kettle of fish; it goes too far; most people dont want a political union with Europe. On this, the debate certernly has not 'moved on'.

No need to google as i'm well aware of the Civil war, they fought for what they got, perhaps it may take another one here to get our liberty's back eventually,

and like another poster has said is your google on the blink.

Retep are you posting from inside the crocodile?