Sign in to follow this  

Budget Recording studio..feasible?

Hi

I've converted a cellar area at my place into a small (4m x 4m) fully soundproofed and acoustically treated recording studio.

The gear I use is all 'semi pro' stuff...ie. I run Reaper as my DAW, have a cheap but full drum kit, seven guitars (inc. bass), various dynamic mics (Shure,AKG) etc. etc.

I record drums using the 4 mic Glyn Johns method, and guitars are currently DI'ed.

I'm also constructing a vocal booth with condenser mics (MXL 990 and SE 2200) again fully acoustically treated.....and toilet facilities.

This started as a hobby for my own stuff, but does anyone think it would be feasible for people to record there? For a very budget price obviously.

I'm getting great results from this gear!

Hi

I'm getting great results from this gear!

Lets have a listen then, do u have any links?

All the best

Ok, here's a couple of links.

This is one I was asked to do, (a football song) so please don't anyone get incredibly angry, I'm just posting to get sound quality.

Everything but drums and chants were recorded at mine.

http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=11465266

Here's an example of my drum recording. Excuse timing issues, I played everything myself. Aklso, better drum mics are coming...

http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=11543276

Feasible as a budget studio? Or am I barking up the wrong tree?

I was initially thinking of club acts with their own backing tracks to come and record vocals...

Edited by ceevee

Ok, here's a couple of links.

This is one I was asked to do, (a football song) so please don't anyone get incredibly angry, I'm just posting to get sound quality.

Everything but drums and chants were recorded at mine.

http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=11465266

Here's an example of my drum recording. Excuse timing issues, I played everything myself. Aklso, better drum mics are coming...

http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=11543276

Feasible as a budget studio? Or am I barking up the wrong tree?

I was initially thinking of club acts with their own backing tracks to come and record vocals...

Football song is a bit naff, but technically seems well recorded :hihi:

Other song sounds good for such a modest set-up, vocals are very decent, natural and clean sounding, guitars good too. Drums are probably where you will struggle to get 'pro' results in a small boxy room, they're not terrible, but they are probably a bit of a let down compared to the rest. You need to try and get some ambiance on them, room micing etc. Maybe try a distance mic up on the stairs with the door open, to give the impression of some space. Some plug-in reverb might help, but i'd take it steady, as over cooking that will make them sound 80's.

I think you'll get some good results doing semi-pro work there, particularly if it's laying vocals down over backing tracks, without the need to record instruments where you are looking for capturing distance micing and room acoustics.

...yeah I know about the footy song :hihi: I was asked to do it!!

Thanks for your input.

Re drums, I can only record the Glyn Johns way at the mo, ie. 4 mics. The cymbal I have is naff too. (I also tend to gate the hell out of my stuff, which may take any room ambience out of it!)

Experiment, experiment. The new drum mics should sound better, but yeah, I was thinking more of vox or acoustic stuff.

Cheers again.

Edited by ceevee