Little London Road, Heeley in 30's & 40's

There used to be a big railway marshalling yard there.

I can remember, as a child laying in bed hearing the steam engines (shunters) assembling the goods trains.

Strix

Thanks for the link - I have looked at it before but had no luck in finding people. It is a very interesting and informative site though.

The problem with fairly recent family history is that not much info is on the internet so it means lots of trips to libraries etc.

I will keep on plugging away at it in the hope that someone may remember the GARBUTTS of HEELEY!

Thanks again

Sandy

Kelly's 1925 has a MISS May Garbett, Photographer, 3 Moscar cottages, Abbeydale, Mil(lhouses).

But I think the 'miss' shows that that not her.

No john, harry or May Garbutt listed in kellys 1925,31 or 48

Edit: BTW all these directories show no private housing on Little London rd, just business address's.

I must admit that I can't recollect any houses on Little London road itself. There were two or three little roads though in the area which is now the tile? shop/warehouse and where the new retail sector now is. These roadds had a footpath connecting them to Little London road which still exists.

At the other end of Little London road as it approaches Woodseats road there are rear gardens on the left but the house addresses are not Little London road obviously.

Wallbuilder

Is Heeley Green a different part of Heeley 'cos my uncle remembers going to Heeley Green once.

The actual address was 11 Little London Road. I don't know how long they lived there (that is the only address I have for them) but they were there during WWII years at least.

Sandy

Heeley Green is a bit further up the hill towards Gleadless but is within easy walking distance of Little London road.

I can remember the houses just off Little London road at the Chesterfield road end but can't think of any houses facing the road. There is now a tile shop called [i think] grahams on that bit of land and it is a reasonably new structure built within the last twenty years and I can't for the life of me think what stood on Little London road in that area before that.

Am I right in thinking Tyzack's had a factory at Little London? I remember trainspotting there, when it was wet, as there was a covered ride which led to Broadfield Road.

Abbey Glen laundry was just a bit further up the back road.

Just been looking on multimap and it looks as though the little dead end road that ran off Chesterfield road just up from Little London road and Arnold Lavers was also called Little london road. The next one on from that was Windsor road. This may explain why no-one can remember houses on the Little London road that runs over to Woodsseats road.

Tyzacks was indeed there but is long gone, the public footpath leading to Broadfield road is still there and they've just recently put in a new road connecting broadfield road and Little London road. They've built several ugly buildings on the old Tyzacks site including a Virgin gym. I liked the area as wasteland as it was mostly fenced off and so was a great area for walking the dog. Abbey Glen and Stokes the paint manufacturers are still going strong.

Originally posted by CHAIRBOY

Am I right in thinking Tyzack's had a factory at Little London? I remember trainspotting there, when it was wet, as there was a covered ride which led to Broadfield Road.

My grandfather worked at Tyzacks and I went to several of their kids Christmas parties in the 40s. The footpath to Broadfield Road went through Tyzacks under an archway and then onto a wooden footbridge over the river. Very useful shortcut that.

Millhouses station was better for trainspotting, - staff didn't bother us and you could sometimes sneak down to the engine sheds ;)

I remember once walking all the way up Little London road to Smithy Wood where the steps went up to Chesterfield road, but can't for the life of me remember the houses along there.

Thanks to everyone who has replied to my post.

My next train of thought to try and find the GARBUTT family is to find a cemetery where they might be buried.

Presuming they stayed at Little London Road until their deaths where would the most probable cemetery be?

I think I may have found a death date for John Garbutt in 1955. I haven't received the certificate yet with exact date on but I am hoping it is him.

I don't know when his wife May died but if I can find John's grave she may be buried with him.

All I know so far is May Garbutt (nee Jewell) was born 1898/99 possibly in London/Kent. Married John Robert Garbutt in 1922 at St Paul's Church Norton Lees.

I think John Garbutt was born in 1902 in Norton Lees.

Any further help would be very much appreciated

Sandy

You could try looking for Death Certificates