"What are your weaknesses?" interview question.

I had a interview last week and the question I hated was

what is your weaknesses, as if I know :)

Having been a Team Leader I can tell you one thing about this question.

If you answer only contains a weakness, that can be a potential problem.

What they want to hear is that you are not weak. What I mean is simply this.

Name a weakness, and how you overcame it or are working to improve it.

To name a weakness and to leave it at such is not the best when interviewing.

Best Regards

dalen

Exactly! One of my weaknesses? I waffle too much! It is a genuine desire to want people to understand what I am saying but I end up going on and on and on...I need to cut to the chase more! Good luck anyway...

More than likely, if this is an issue, they will see it.

Personality comes through in an interview to a certain degree.

Try not focusing on it, and if it is an issue, then work on it.

Read a previous post...you will have better success pulling out a weakness that is toned down and one that you are working on or better yet overcame.

They are interested in your strengths and what you can bring to the company. Negative traits stick out...no need to harp on anyone specific trait.

Best Regards

dalen

I have an interview on Tuesday. I'm pretty sure they'll be all the usual questions, including my least favourite one "What are your weaknesses?".

Anyone got any advice on how to answer that one?

I often don't flush the toilet, after using it

The perfectionist one is a dead cert. How can they fault it?

What they normally expect from that question is that you are able to sit back and recognise an area of improvement you need (weakness), but are able to follow it up with a positive on how you plan or are overcoming this weakness.

Cheers folks. Had the interview now. In the end this question didn't come up. Not sure it matters as I think I right royally screwed up the rest of it anyway!

Interviewers kept me waiting for 30 minutes sat in Reception where the only thing to do is wind yourself up into a mess!

Don't think there's a hope in hell I landed this one, but I'll be going for some more soon I hope!

Dalen - that is what I was trying to explain to Hotphil - that the handling of your own weakness is a strength within itself - I believe that Hotphil did understand this in his response. It is a much deeper way of looking at the question and the candidate rather than just giving an employer a "surface" weakness - but actually tells you more about how a person learns about themselves and how they improve.

By the way Hotphil- How did the interview go today?

How did you overcome the question?

Sorry - ignore me - missed your account of today!

Sorry you didn't feel it went well - you never know though - that can be a tactic of interviewing to keep you waiting to see how you reacted! (or it could be disorganisation!) - However, sometimes when you think you have done the worst you have ever done - you could have surprised yourself - keep us informed!

I amditted to a weakness once, whilst in a job, and darn near got myself fired (I only said I didn't like filing!).

I had been insulted, on paper (which I kept), by my mysogynistic boss and had challenged him about it. He didn't like that at all and with the help of HR, set his stall out to get rid of me. THAT didn't happen, fortunately, as the whole company came out to defend me. Sometimes the French being militant has it's upsides :thumbsup:

Not so long later, whilst he was on holiday on his yacht, that he had bought syphoning money from the company (divulged by my friend in Accounts), someone else with a grudge against him went into his office and laid a huge pile of in the middle of his carpet (found by security!); revenge always gets itself :hihi:

So my piece of advice would be, n e v e r admit to any weaknesses, it nearly cost me dearly.

That's very funny Craig7777. I used to have the same problem!

I have an interview on Tuesday. I'm pretty sure they'll be all the usual questions, including my least favourite one "What are your weaknesses?".

Anyone got any advice on how to answer that one?

Turn it into a joke, say "I'm a pyromaniac" or something, then laugh, hopefully they will laugh too, otherwise get your coat.