How to stop swim goggles steaming up/best way to apply anti-fog ?

Anyone know the best way to stop swim goggles from fogging up ?

The ones I`ve got at the moment originally had an anti-fog coating but that has long since worn off.

I`ve tried an anti-fog spray, but, unless I`m using it incorrectly (and I`ve tried loads of different ways ! ) even that doesn`t seem that effective ?

Are goggles, at least in the anti-fog department, a consumable item, i.e. you`re expected to change them every 6 months ?

Here`s the answer ! (3 Mar 2013)

Edited by Justin Smith

I used to swim regularly and found that a little olive oil rubbed on, just with a tissue, stopped them fogging up.

I used to swim regularly and found that a little olive oil rubbed on, just with a tissue, stopped them fogging up.

Should I clean them first ? I assume it must be applied to the goggles dry ?

How often does it need to be reapplied ?

Yes, apply it dry. I re-applied every 2-3 swims.

At the risk of sounding a bit disgusting, we used to spit in 'em on the inside and rub it round when we were kids. Always seemed to work.

At the risk of sounding a bit disgusting, we used to spit in 'em on the inside and rub it round when we were kids. Always seemed to work.

I try that if I`m desperate, say my goggles steam up half way through the pool session, but I have to say it doesn`t work very well.

I tried the olive oil but the only way I could get that to actually act as anti fog there had to be so much on the goggle lens that I couldn`t see any more through it than if it had been fogged up !

I have concluded that the best treatment is Anti Fog spray, but despite trying to apply it in a number of different ways it doesn`t always seem to work, not for any length of time anyway.

So, unfortunately, the conclusion is get goggles with an anti fog coating. That works, but not forever. When it stops working then try anti fog spray, when that stops working buy some more goggles. Yes, the final conclusion is that, if you swim a lot and want anti fogging, goggles are a "consumable" item, only meant to last 6 to 12 months ? I`ve just ordered 3 more pairs of Diana Comet goggles (comfortable and don`t leak much) at £13 each....

I try that if I`m desperate, say my goggles steam up half way through the pool session, but I have to say it doesn`t work very well.

I tried the olive oil but the only way I could get that to actually act as anti fog there had to be so much on the goggle lens that I couldn`t see any more through it than if it had been fogged up !

I have concluded that the best treatment is Anti Fog spray, but despite trying to apply it in a number of different ways it doesn`t always seem to work, not for any length of time anyway.

So, unfortunately, the conclusion is get goggles with an anti fog coating. That works, but not forever. When it stops working then try anti fog spray, when that stops working buy some more goggles. Yes, the final conclusion is that, if you swim a lot and want anti fogging, goggles are a "consumable" item, only meant to last 6 to 12 months ? I`ve just ordered 3 more pairs of Diana Comet goggles (comfortable and don`t leak much) at £13 each....

The good news is that Diana Comet goggles are comfortable, and they don`t leak much, not for me anyway.

Unfortunately the bad news is that the nose pieces break regularly, so I`ve now got 3 or 4 pairs of £15 goggles which are scrap because of a 20p bit of plastic.......

I`ve been onto the Proswimwear where I bought them and Diana the manufacturers but neither are interested in helping me get some spare nose pieces, t*****s.

Now I know what you`re thinking, why would you think they`d be interested in messing about supplying you with spares ? Well we do it for our customers, so why shouldn`t I expect the same level of service in return ? ! ? Do you ever get the feeling life`s unfair........

Gargle with olive oil then spit in them.

My son regularly competes in Triathlons and he uses spit on his goggles and so do I when swimming, it brings the goggles up to your body temperature

If you spit in your goggles, do not rub it around with your finger as that causes scratches inside.

A diver told me a tip which they used to keep diving masks from fogging, and that is to rub some toothpaste on the inside, apparently it has the same chemical as the expensive anti fog spray.

Thanks for all your tips chaps. I have found that anti fog spry works with some goggles but not others for some reason. I`ve tried most of them but have reluctantly concluded that buying decent anti fog goggles and changing them when the coating loses its effectiveness is the only way......

If you spit in your goggles, do not rub it around with your finger as that causes scratches inside.
:confused:

Does your spit regularly include abrasive materials/particles? :gag:;)

A diver told me a tip which they used to keep diving masks from fogging, and that is to rub some toothpaste on the inside, apparently it has the same chemical as the expensive anti fog spray.
Old and well-known tip, works perfectly (for glass scuba masks though...dunno about plastic swimming goggles).