Discussions regarding Forgemasters retracted loan (Merged Threads)

The money isn't there ??? that's not Cleggs fault, it's the excesses of previous Govt that have lead to tough decsions being made now.

I for one think that lending £80m to a company that almost went bust a short while ago and has less that £12m in annual turnover is a very big gamble.

With 800 Sheffield jobs on the line lets hope Forgemasters get the money!

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2010/jun/06/industry-manufacturing-sheffield-cable-clegg

It will be a crucial boost to Sheffield,both financially and morale wise.

Lets hope Clegg is batting for us all and indeed,has the clout to make a difference.

Sheffield is famous for stainless steel but I don’t seem to remember too much being said about the need for a “financial and morale” boost being needed to stop Outokumpu pulling out.

Sheffield is famous for stainless steel but I don’t seem to remember too much being said about the need for a “financial and morale” boost being needed to stop Outokumpu pulling out.

You would have heard it if you had asked me.

Lets hope Clegg is batting for us all and indeed,has the clout to make a difference.

clegg will be only batting for himself as all politicians do

clegg will be only batting for himself as all politicians do

My sentiments entirely.

But surely this is his chance to show that hes not screwed us over completely.

The money isn't there ??? that's not Cleggs fault, it's the excesses of previous Govt that have lead to tough decsions being made now.

I for one think that lending £80m to a company that almost went bust a short while ago and has less that £12m in annual turnover is a very big gamble.

Where is the risk in providing it with the money to allow it to get more business in a sector that will be very important for the next few decades? It's exactly the sort of thing that needs to be supported because it pays for itself, it creates jobs in the manufacturing industry (something the coalition said it supports) and it takes hundreds of people off of benefits.

Where is the risk in providing it with the money to allow it to get more business in a sector that will be very important for the next few decades?

The risk that it might not get the extra business.

The risk that it might not get the extra business.

Well the article says that the only other place in the world about to produce what they are proposing is in Japan so it's not like they seem to have many competitors. Nuclear in this country alone will be big business for the next few decades.

Unless, that is, someone suddenly cracks the fusion power problem, or develops a cheap way of lifting large solar panels into space ... or comes up with a power source we haven't even thought of yet.

No business venture ever has zero risk, and Governments, by and large, have an appallingly bad track record of picking the winning bets. This could be because they are politicians and not bankers.

By turnover I assume you mean profit, there's quite a difference between the 2...