Tony Benn answering questions on the Euro

Fair enough. But is it your point that the EU leaders are trying to bring about a world government, if not why would you say that the EU is "a stepping stone to a world government"?

All world leaders are bringing about a world government together. The EU leaders, naturaly, are taking care of Europe.

The EU can NOT take credit for that! we had 35 years of the 'acceptable' EEC without a continental war.

So spare us the- 'European countries HAVE to be fully immersed in an EU under the terms of the Lisbon treaty, otherwise its WAR WAR WAR!'.

The first 50 years of the Twentieth century were War War War as you call it. Over 30 million Europeans died in all the conflict. Look at how the concept of nationalism and nation states have ravaged Europe in the last century.

The EEC has been going longer than 35 years my friend. The EEC and greater cooperation within Europe has kept the peace, unlike the Twentieth century and yes, the EEC and EU has something to do with that. In large part it can take the credit.

I welcome greater European cooperation. I am a Sheffielder, a Yorkshireman, British and a European and proud of it. I can only see greater cooperation with democratically elected assemblies, plus local governance adding to Europes well being and security.

A world Govt is a dream but what a dream to have ...surely a better one than a vision looking back to some mythical golden age. We must learn from the past and move forward or we are condemned to repeat the past.

The first 50 years of the Twentieth century were War War War as you call it. Over 30 million Europeans died in all the conflict. Look at how the concept of nationalism and nation states have ravaged Europe in the last century.

The EEC has been going longer than 35 years my friend. The EEC and greater cooperation within Europe has kept the peace, unlike the Twentieth century and yes, the EEC and EU has something to do with that. In large part it can take the credit.

I welcome greater European cooperation. I am a Sheffielder, a Yorkshireman, British and a European and proud of it. I can only see greater cooperation with democratically elected assemblies, plus local governance adding to Europes well being and security.

A world Govt is a dream but what a dream to have ...surely a better one than a vision looking back to some mythical golden age. We must learn from the past and move forward or we are condemned to repeat the past.

I too welcome European cooperation.

Remember its not so much the EEC i had a problem with, its the EU and this Lisbon treaty that people find unpalatable.

I too welcome European cooperation.

Remember its not so much the EEC i had a problem with, its the EU and this Lisbon treaty that people find unpalatable.

The EU is only a childs second step.

You must embrace your fears on this one Aim4...the water looks cold but its fine once you are in;)

Why do I sense some people don't understand the difference between anti-EU and anti-EU-as-currently-proposed? :huh:

In a utopian world, who wouldn't support a perfectly democratic and co-operative union of states?

But this isn't a utopian world. It is a world in which bureaucrats and power hungry institutions want to centralise control to further satisfy their own interests.

We have to ask ourselves, if we are to enter into such a union, how much bargaining power will the PEOPLE of that union truly have? Will our voice be dilluted into insignificance as a small group of unelected commissioners rule by decree?

Once again, I find myself aligned with Tony Benn's views, which are grounded in one radical and fundamental concept - democracy!

Why do practices have to be standardised? different countries of the world have different ways of doing things.

And who decides what the global standard of doing things will be? will it be put to a vote? as the different countries of the world ALREADY have different ways of doing things for their own unique reasons, how will they all agree on a global 'standard' way of doing things. :loopy:

But of course we wont all agree will we, we'l have a 'standardised' way of doing things forced upon us wont we, such is the sinister nature of Europhyle/globalists.

I mean for example: qualifications that can be transferred and understood internationally, an international passport system, shoe sizes, measuring system and so on. Just making the world a more inclusive place by making sure that everyone can understand each other more easily.

At the moment, I cannot quite recall a specific example but I am sure there have been major problems where for instance one country's allocation of radio frequencies, or standard screw sizes, or air traffic control planning system or something has conflicted with another country's, and held back the internationalisation of certain areas.

Do you realise you're spelling phile wrong by the way? You're currently calling me a Euro-person rather than a Euro-liker. The former is technically correct I suppose, but I think you mean the latter.

All world leaders are bringing about a world government together. The EU leaders, naturaly, are taking care of Europe.

What do you have against the idea of a world government?

Why do I sense some people don't understand the difference between anti-EU and anti-EU-as-currently-proposed? :huh:

In a utopian world, who wouldn't support a perfectly democratic and co-operative union of states?

But this isn't a utopian world. It is a world in which bureaucrats and power hungry institutions want to centralise control to further satisfy their own interests.

We have to ask ourselves, if we are to enter into such a union, how much bargaining power will the PEOPLE of that union truly have? Will our voice be dilluted into insignificance as a small group of unelected commissioners rule by decree?

Once again, I find myself aligned with Tony Benn's views, which are grounded in one radical and fundamental concept - democracy!

I understand this. Do you think that the EU as currently proposed could ever evolve into a perfectly, or at least reasonably democratic union of states? I think it could do, and will be under more pressure to do so as its remit expands.

Having a somewhat flawed but improvable version of a European government right now is better than a distant dream of a perfect government that might never happen, in my opinion.

I mean for example: qualifications that can be transferred and understood internationally, an international passport system, shoe sizes, measuring system and so on. Just making the world a more inclusive place by making sure that everyone can understand each other more easily.

At the moment, I cannot quite recall a specific example but I am sure there have been major problems where for instance one country's allocation of radio frequencies, or standard screw sizes, or air traffic control planning system or something has conflicted with another country's, and held back the internationalisation of certain areas.

Do you realise you're spelling phile wrong by the way? You're currently calling me a Euro-person rather than a Euro-liker. The former is technically correct I suppose, but I think you mean the latter.

What do you have against the idea of a world government?

Im starting to worry about you!

Why oh why do such things as shoe sizes, measuring systems and screw sizes need to be standardized across the world??

And what about language?

This is 'what i have against a world government', the world is a diverse place and i'd like it to stay a diverse place.

Im starting to worry about you!

Why oh why do such things as shoe sizes, measuring systems and screw sizes need to be standardized across the world??

And what about language?

This is 'what i have against a world government', the world is a diverse place and i'd like it to stay a diverse place.

Do you visit other countries to appreciate their different shoe sizes? The problem as I perceive it with a lack of standardisation is that it introduces costs to international organisations for regionalisation of products and services. This may only be a minor inefficiency, but it does ultimately contribute to needless waste of global resources.

There are probably cases where it has more major implications, perhaps making similar technologies difficult to connect between two countries. Hopefully someone can think of one. I don't want to get too hung up on standardisation, I listed it as my final point in favour of a world government because it is the least important.

The world is a diverse place and I wouldn't want to change any of the things that really make it diverse. Being under a world government would not strip us of national identity any more than being in the EU makes us part of France, or being in the USA makes California part of Tennessee.

As for language, it would be nice in a way to see a globally understood language, but not at the expense of existing languages.

Do you visit other countries to appreciate their different shoe sizes? The problem as I perceive it with a lack of standardisation is that it introduces costs to international organisations for regionalisation of products and services. This may only be a minor inefficiency, but it does ultimately contribute to needless waste of global resources.

There are probably cases where it has more major implications, perhaps making similar technologies difficult to connect between two countries. Hopefully someone can think of one. I don't want to get too hung up on standardisation, I listed it as my final point in favour of a world government because it is the least important.

The world is a diverse place and I wouldn't want to change any of the things that really make it diverse. Being under a world government would not strip us of national identity any more than being in the EU makes us part of France, or being in the USA makes California part of Tennessee.

As for language, it would be nice in a way to see a globally understood language, but not at the expense of existing languages.

I visit other countries to-amongst other things of course, appreciate their currency, i would love to go to America and have dollars in my pocket, im sure visitors here like the novelty of having quintessentially British Pounds in their pockets, once upon a time i could have walked the streets of Paris with quintessentially French Franc's in my pocket-but not any more.

You paint a very rosy picture of a world government but globaly 'standardised practices' will not come about with everyones consent, as different countries have their own way of doing things for their own unique reasons, a lot of people are going to have to compromise or have change's in their practices imposed on them.