Loft conversion or conservatory ?

hi, we have a 2 bed semi and are considering either a loft convertion into another bedroom or a conservatory any one had either of these done and how much was the cost many thanks.

Unless we have a mind reader on the forum I THINK THIS IS REALLY A IMPOSSIBLE POST to answer to many variables, give some idea of what you want and sizes etc. and then someone may be able to answer your questions

You would get more value from an extra bedroom. Loftconversion maybe £20,000 conservatory £5,000

The loft conversion will certainly cost more, but may well add more value to the house.

Have you confirmed that a loft conversion is actually possible though. Modern(ish) buildings have the roofing done differently to old ones. Anything built from the 60's onwards probably won't be suitable, and a modern W roof construction is definitely impossible.

Guess I fell into the 'most people' group then

Due to this most people think there's no way their loft can be converted. With excellent planning and the use of steel beams designed by our structural engineer, we can remove the W shaped bracings and struts to create the open space required to convert your loft.

I can see the $$$ signs ringing up when they start talking about replacing the trusses with steel beams designed by a structural engineer.

I have a 3 bed house, semi detatched.. I was wondering how much it would be for someone to basically convert my loft into a room? Surely no 20,000.?

I have a 3 bed house, semi detatched.. I was wondering how much it would be for someone to basically convert my loft into a room? Surely no 20,000.?

£20k is not out of the ordinary. Don't forget planning permission and you will need buildings regulations approval for the work.

I would personally go for the loft conversion, but i know this company who do both, seriously - google Plumbline Installations and check out their page, they're sheffield based too which is handy, they do ALL aspects to a really high standard.

Quality stuff,

Thanks

Rob

Loft convertion on a decent size house will be £20k-30k but you will then have a 3 bed house & you will add signifigant value to your house. If you can get an en suit up there as well even better.

A decent sized conservatory can be upto £15k but you won't gain anywhere near that on the value.

Go for a loft conversion if possible.

£20k is not out of the ordinary. Don't forget planning permission and you will need buildings regulations approval for the work.

..and the consent of the leaseholder if the property is leasehold, if you overlook it can create all kinds of problems!