Any tips for campsites near the A9 in Scotland?

The missus wants to go osprey spotting in Scotland in the summer. Anyone know of any quiet campsites in Scotland reasonably close to the A9? Ideally, somewhere between Perth and Aviemore, as she's wanting to go to Loch of the Lowes or Loch Garten.

http://www.campingintheforest.co.uk/our_sites__locations/scotland/glenmore.aspx is probably the best I've found, unless you have a small tent then there's a great one at Nethy Bridge. That part of the world seems to be big expensive campsites rather than small and secluded.

Oh blimey, Flying Duck you were about two hours too late. Thanks anyway, and I mean that. The reservation for two nights in July at the Perth Travelodge is on our

inbox as we speak. I hope the ospreys are worth it. They all look like seagulls to me anyway! :hihi: I will look up the site you recommend anyway - We have a week in early september to do something with.

Edited by md00071

I've not been to Loch of the Lowes, but the set up at Loch Garten is pretty good. You can see the nest from the visitor centre, and they have a number of telescopes trained on it, along with a webcam. If the ospreys are away from the nest then they will show you footage from earlier that day/week.The Ospreys can often be seen fishing at the Rothiemurchus fishery near Aviemore when they're away from the nest.

Oh blimey, Flying Duck you were about two hours too late. Thanks anyway, and I mean that. The reservation for two nights in July at the Perth Travelodge is on our

inbox as we speak. I hope the ospreys are worth it. They all look like seagulls to me anyway! :hihi: I will look up the site you recommend anyway - We have a week in early september to do something with.

Did you consult your map at all?. It's around a hundred miles and at a steady pace a 3 hours drive to the Boat of Garten from Perth. We stayed at one of the Perth Travelodges last week. Nice spot.

Angel.

Edited by ANGELFIRE1

Did you consult your map at all?. It's around a hundred miles and at a steady pace a 3 hours drive to the Boat of Garten from Perth. We stayed at one of the Perth Travelodges last week. Nice spot.

Angel.

Yes! I've done that drive a few times and it is a pleasure in itself. Blair Atholl, Pitlochry, Aviemore - all lovely stop offs on the way. We saw the Ospreys at Rutland Water last week. I take back my comment about them looking like crows. They are more like magpies.

Which Perth travelodge are you staying at?

We've spent quite alot of time in that neck of the woods, and got married in Pitlochry :)

Which Perth travelodge are you staying at?

We've spent quite alot of time in that neck of the woods, and got married in Pitlochry :)

Not sure, the one near St.Johnstone football ground I think. The missus has sorted it out. She's in hospital at the moment (forummer "diane00058"), but she'll be back.

Not sure, the one near St.Johnstone football ground I think. The missus has sorted it out. She's in hospital at the moment (forummer "diane00058"), but she'll be back.
It is the Travel lodge, Broxden junction. good job I carry my diary with me. lol :)

Ah, we've been there - a few times

I was hoping you were going to the 'new' one and I could ask you what it's like

We've stayed in the Salutation too - that was a surreal experience. We were trying to get home from Pitlochry when flooding stopped all the trains. It was the staff Christmas party, so the restaurant was closed. They suggested we order pizza and sit in their foyer - which was actually quite pleasant with a roaring fire, a comfy sofa and a couple of whiskies :D (the room was incredibly small for the double bed they'd shoehorned into it though!)

I know this is an old post, however if anyone needs advise on the A9 north of Perth then I can probably help.

North of Perth the camp site at Pitlochry has won many awards and is brilliant, and there is so much to do there, salmon watching to long walks.

Blair Atholl also has a big camp site, in the grounds of the castle.

The best one of all is at the foot of the Cairngorms, on the edge of the loch, it's open 365 so has great facilities, need a car ideally as it's a treck into Aviemore.

Good point is that the osprey centre isn't that far away as there is a back road to Boat of Garten.

Further north but only 10 miles is Grantown on Spey, again a well kept site and near the town.

Grantown is a great place to explore Spey side from, near by is Walkers shortbread, Glenfiddich Distillery and Baxters foods. All have brilliant visitor centres and well worth seeing.

If you don't want to head as far as Grantown, Dalwhinnie Distillery is also worth a visit.

Sorry it's long winded but it really is worth a visit

dee