Open a "little Waitrose" store in Sheffield and Barnsley

I have a little Waitrose on one end of the street and a little Co-op on the other end.

I find Waitrose less expensive than the Co-op.

There's a common misconception that Waitrose is incredibly expensive and only for the wealthy. When I've been I've found it to be perfectly fair prices

We have just had a new Lloyds Pharmacy (we already had a small one) in Bakewell ... seriously ... another chemist? Would have been far better to have a Waitrose.

Instead of wasting money on Waitroses goods, the majority of which I find over priced and no better than the likes of Morrisons.

Why don't you go to your local butchers,bakers, delicastessens, farm shops etc. These people provide far better quality and actually get locally sourced food and tend to employ more, when all put together than the likes of Waitrose

If we had less Supermarkets both our diets and our culture would be stronger!

Instead of wasting money on Waitroses goods, the majority of which I find over priced and no better than the likes of Morrisons.

Why don't you go to your local butchers,bakers, delicastessens, farm shops etc. These people provide far better quality and actually get locally sourced food and tend to employ more, when all put together than the likes of Waitrose

I do .. I live in a village where the lamb comes from Haddon Hall estate .. the chickens, their own and they make their own pies etc. Very nice, but can't afford to ALL the time. (Though I wont have minced beef from anywhere else)

The vegetable shop is over priced and the goods there that long that they have gone soft more often than not.

Isnt it the age old problem though. Little independant stores dont have late night and 24 hour opening. They dont have masses of free car parking, they dont thousands of items conveniently laid out on the shelves, they dont have points schemes, vouchers, loyalty cards, savings clubs. They dont have cafes, toilets, petrol stations..

At least shopping in waitrose vs somewhere like tesco or asda is better than nothing.

Their staff are paid fairly, they all get a profit share each year and their products are normally better quality and ethically sourced like M&S.

I would happily shop locally the day they open when I can get to them.

In what way would our diets be stronger. Come to think of it how on earth would 'our culture' be stronger and what is 'our culture' are you referring to South Yorkshire, Yorkshire, England, the UK?

I think we should be told....

There are quite a few closet intellectuals in Barnsley who charter coach trips to Waitrose,HN, and other refined retailers.

:hihi::hihi::hihi:

You'd think that would be the case wouldn't you, but, inexplicably, Barnsley town centre hosts Pollyanna, one of the most exclusive shops I have ever set foot in. Maybe there is an underground uberclass in Barnsley, just crying out for a Waitrose

I bet many Southerners would sneer at the idea of Sheffield having a posh shop like Waitrose in a similar way.

Truth is, every town/city has its working class and its rich, there's a market to be tapped in to.

Isnt it the age old problem though. Little independant stores dont have late night and 24 hour opening. They dont have masses of free car parking, they dont thousands of items conveniently laid out on the shelves, they dont have points schemes, vouchers, loyalty cards, savings clubs. They dont have cafes, toilets, petrol stations..

At least shopping in waitrose vs somewhere like tesco or asda is better than nothing.

Their staff are paid fairly, they all get a profit share each year and their products are normally better quality and ethically sourced like M&S.

I would happily shop locally the day they open when I can get to them.

Agree with all of your post - but especially the bold.

My local butchers opens at 8.00 ish but closes at 3.00 I am at work then- how do I buy produce from him???? Not expecting 24 hours - but a 6.00o'clock close would be good. Ditto the bakery - go in any time after 2.00 and it has sold out. I do support the local fruit/veg who have a sensible 5.30/6.00 close - would love to do more for local business but cannot if they are shut!

So we all go to little independent stores instead of supermarkets. Their revenue increases to such a point that they buy a bigger building and more stores around the country. Hence, they become a supermarket. Do we then stop shopping at the supermarket we once loved when it was a little corner shop and find some other independent shop to support? How do you think Supermarkets start?