Pedestrian killed in collision with police car

I know it wasnt a serious emergency other wise hed have had his bs and 2s on and so wouldnt have ended up in court.

How many times does it have to be pointed out to you that using blues-and-twos is not a mandatory requirement when responding to an emergency?

Not without due care and attention!

He was paying due care and attention - at least, in the opinion of the witnesses who were friends of the dead boy, in the opinion of the crash investigators who covered the incident, and in the opinion of the legal experts for the IPCC; not to mention the opinion of the twelve jurors.

Why are you so convinced that you know more details than all of those people put together?

How many times does it have to be pointed out to you that using blues-and-twos is not a mandatory requirement when responding to an emergency?

Would have prevented a death in this case though.

He was paying due care and attention - at least, in the opinion of the witnesses who were friends of the dead boy, in the opinion of the crash investigators who covered the incident, and in the opinion of the legal experts for the IPCC; not to mention the opinion of the twelve jurors.

Why are you so convinced that you know more details than all of those people put together?

Maybe we dont like taking the opinion of the coppers mate being presented as fact.

The guy saw the police car and made a deliberate decision to jump in front of it. Blues and twos would not have helped!

Maybe we dont like taking the opinion of the coppers mate being presented as fact.

I haven't offered my opinions on the case. I have pointed out what the opinions of various legal experts, the witnesses who were the student's own friends, and the jury, were; you seem happy to ignore all of them with no evidence to support your position.

How? The person ran in front of the car on purpose. He knew it was there.

Not without due care and attention!

We have irresolvable differences on this, so I'm going to do something more interesting. Bye. :wave:

The only difference we have is that I have no axe to grind with the police and I'm assuming that it was a fair trial which has found him not guilty.

You on the other hand have no evidence to suggest otherwise, but are just expressing your general feelings about the police. I do hope you will drop it now.

The guy saw the police car and made a deliberate decision to jump in front of it. Blues and twos would not have helped!

I haven't offered my opinions on the case. I have pointed out what the opinions of various legal experts, the witnesses who were the student's own friends, and the jury, were; you seem happy to ignore all of them with no evidence to support your position.

He made a deliberate decision to try and cross the road just before the car arrived, not "to jump in front of it". Had the car been showing blue lights to indicate it was in a hurry, that might have been enough to dissuade him - we'll never know. Had the car been travelling at 30 mph (ie typical for the road) instead of 58, he would have been better able to judge its speed and he would have stood a better chance of not misjudging the situation.

Is there ANY good reason for not having blue flashing lights in this situation? I can't see one. It's not as if it would disturb anyone.

Edit. Adding a bit. I've no issue with the court case and its conclusion - that's why we have courts. My issue is with a procedure which allows police to drive outside the norm but does not require them to warn people when they are. We will never know if lights would have made a difference in this case, but in general it might, so why not do it as a matter of course?

In these sorts of situations the police do an ad hoc risk assessment, yet might not consider that flashing lights could reduce the risk by giving a warning. What have they got to lose by using them?

Edited by Eater Sundae
correction & addition

He made a deliberate decision to try and cross the road just before the car arrived, not "to jump in front of it".

That wasn't what the two witnesses said in their original statements.

Residents of any area where police cars travel regularly complain about the disruption caused by both lights and (more) sirens.

I'm not sure why you think it's hard to judge the speed of a car doing 60 in a 30 zone, would it be easier to judge it if it were in a 60 zone and doing 60? Your expectations might be set by the limit on the road, but that makes it quite easy to see a car that is exceeding that limit IMO.

Guest busdriver1
I don't have a grudge against the Police. Nor do I have a grudge against the legal system. I would like it to be fair and balanced though, and it is not always so.

I am guessing that your determination of fair and balanced means agrees with me.

All the facts of the case and its reporting here and elsewhere suggest that is exactly what happened. Well everywhere except in your head that is.

That wasn't what the two witnesses said in their original statements.

With the intention of being hit?