The Writers' Group introduction thread.

I used to write a bit in my early teens but stopped after I decided to pursue a few careers, all of which ended before they started. I began to write a bit more before I finished college, and then decided that writing was the way forward, I went on to study Creative Writing at Edge Hill university. Currently reading and writing is what I spend most of my time doing and is the only thing I can imagine myself doing for years to come.

I'm hoping this group will give me a chance to look at other peoples work and a good source of critique for some of my own.

Hey everyone, Im Lor.

I love reading and have recently rediscovered my love of writing. I'm very much a beginner, and have a few ideas of some non-fictions I want to write (when I get around to it!)

I've just returned to sunny Sheffield, having spent the last year teaching and travelling abroad. I landed myself in some pretty ridiculous situations at times which I write about in my blog.

I look forward to speaking with you all :)

I'm a teaching assistant who has tried writing various things with no success for the last 25 years. I'm working on a children's story about a disabled boy who discovers he can draw. When he is asleep, his drawings come to life and take him away to a place where he can walk. He meets his Uncle Peter who died in a car crash 2 years earlier. His uncle used to tell him stories about a talking chimp called Charlie, who is also there, sharing his adventures.

I like a variety of books, esp. Dickens and Jane Austen, but my all time favourite is Catch 22. I also love 'A Boy's Life' by Robert McCammon.

Hi everyone.

I am from a not-for-profit organisation, Inspire Rotherham and I would like to bring a new venture to your attention. I have just taken on a shop in Rotherham town centre and plan to set up a 'Pop-Up Story Shop', the first window theme being 'Dickens'.

This space will be a place for people to be able to be creative as writers, storytellers, readers and I hope to encourage volunteers to work with children and families to support them in developing these skills.

I am bidding for funding to develop this concept further and fund some work to involve schools but in the meantime I am looking for people who would be interested in volunteering as writers, illustrators, reading buddies, ..... I can promise a rewarding role, flexible to your needs and lots of free biscuits, cake, tea and coffee to keep us all going. I can provide references for those for whom this would be helpful. It is an exciting adventure and I'd really like to encourage more people to get involved. Please either look at the Voluntary Action Rotherham website or the Inspire website or email me for more information at info@inspirerotherham.org. I hope to hear from you.

Best wishes.

Deborah Bullivant

Hello,

I'm interested in developing my script writing skills and am keen to do any courses that are on offer.

Also keen on meeting new people and attending any meet-ups or whatever.

Thanks.

Hello everyone,

I have been on the forum a few times already but only just noticed this introduction thread!

I have loved reading and writing since I was a child: short stories, poetry, horror, thrillers, contemporary literary fiction and classics. One of my favourite writers is Sheffield's own Lesley Glaister, who I believe also teaches at Hallam University.

I am keen to read and review other people's work, and I hope that they will do the same for me! Currently my debut novel has been released on Amazon by my agent and is on submission to publishers. If anyone fancies reading it (psychological suspense fiction set in the local area) I would really appreciate feedback: you can borrow it on Kindle for free!!

Thanks

Helen Howe

Hi. I'm more or less new to writing but I do like the idea of writing stories. I'm a retired physicist who once helped design ILS Cat 3, for landing aeroplanes with a dead or blinded pilot (snow, fog, volcanic ash, etc.). I'm more used to writing technical reports and I have also written a brief introduction to degree level maths, for my grandson's benefit. I once played the trumpet in various orchestras and dance / jazz bands and served with the RAF in Northern Ireland. I ran a small team of lads who repaired navigation radar for V bombers. I'm married and have three children and five grandchildren and one great grand daughter.

---------- Post added 01-02-2013 at 19:27 ----------

Despite what I said above, I've written a couple of short stories and I would post one of them if I could transfer it from my old desktop PC to this laptop for sending to the forum. Can anyone tell me how to do it, please? I have a memory stick to use but where should I insert the story in the way an attachment is inserted into an e mail for example? I can't see the "attachment" sign or anything similar on this forum. Surely I don't have to type it all out again?

---------- Post added 03-02-2013 at 12:34 ----------

I've just noticed the ("silver") tag after my post June 2012. I didn't put it there. What does it mean? Why have I got it? I sent a short story to the writers forum but I've had no acknowledgement. Have I done something wrong?

Edited by woolyhead
grammatical error

I've not long been a member of the forum, but the Writing group stuck out to me.

Writing has been a passion of mine from a very early age, yet I haven't written since I was 17. Being 22 now & with a daughter at nursery full time & studying for a degree that I loathe more and more everyday I figured I might give it a go again.

Hi everyone,

My name is Chris. I have wanted to be a published writer since I was a child, but I have only just started to make time for writing, thanks to a fantastic writing course that I have recently enrolled on (Susan Elliot Wright's course at Bank Street Arts). I am also organising a storytelling night at Harland café on John Street and a writers' retreat at the Chimney House, Kelham Island.

I also run a small business writing personalised children's picture books called The Creatorsaur (http://www.thecreatorsaur.co.uk).

Follow me on Twitter @sheffieldwrite.

Cheers,

Chris

Edited by Sheffwrite

Wow, I'm really glad to see this group! I am currently working full time and studying part time for an English Literature degree, so finding time for much else is a challenge. I'm really keen to get in as much writing practice as possible as I'd like to move on to a creative writing MA when I graduate. I'd welcome any constructive feedback and will do my best to offer advice and support to anyone else who would like it!

---------- Post added 05-02-2013 at 16:06 ----------

I've just uploaded a poem and then tried to share the link, but it seems I can't share a weblink as I've not posted 5 times on Sheffield Forum! Does anyone have a way around this or am I going to have to think of 4 things to say?!

As a potential/ future writer why is finding something to say such a problem? I guess that for this purpose, what you say needn't mean anything important. I bet them's the rules so why not just get on with it!

Now I'm still fairly new but as it happens I've written sufficient posts to have my writing acknowledged, but never the less no one has done so for the story I recently sent. Because the people running this forum are part time volunteers, I think that perhaps there should be an automated acknowledgement function. It would prevent us feeling that we've sent our work into hyperspace, never to be mentioned again.

Edited by woolyhead
spelling