The Ark - Soul Night - Late Sixties

Originally posted by WesM

I'm Peter Metcalfe's son, Just printed this thread for him, sure he'll be posting on here soon.

BTW Tim now run's a pub!

WesM

I dont live in Sheff now - but where is the pub?

(Pm me if you don't want to give details here )

Originally posted by docmel

WesM

I dont live in Sheff now - but where is the pub?

(Pm me if you don't want to give details here )

The pub is at a place called Barnetby Le Wold. It's about a half hour - 45mins drive from Sheffield.

He's been there a few years now, he's married..two daughters etc etc.

I take it you're an old friend?

Originally posted by WesM

The pub is at a place called Barnetby Le Wold. It's about a half hour - 45mins drive from Sheffield.

He's been there a few years now, he's married..two daughters etc etc.

I take it you're an old friend?

I knew Tim when we went to Crookesmoor School and then Myers Grove. - I used to live in the corner shop just down from the school opposite the Ashberry Pub - my name is Mark

Hi,

I see the last post on this blog was 2005.-----

I was "Andrew" in the mid/late sixties.

A founder member of the Ark; I am now 59! :cool:

I was one of three main DJ's. Paul, Neville and me.

Paul was Mowtown, I was what was to become Northern Soul plus a bit of mad stuff including Ska. Nev was genius but died young.

Tim was but a young lad. Landlord now?

My tinkering was mainly to do with noise and lights their.

Lots to say but down to you guys to ask the questions!

Andy

Great article about "The Ark" in "Dirty Stop-Out's guide to the 60s" by Neil Anderson

I used to go to the ark on fridays & saturdays in the late 60s & loved it! I still live at walkley.

A group of us from the Grimesthorpe area used to go Friday nights, I remember a band that used to play there 'Love or Confusion' I think the lead guitarist was Phil Brody, used to do Jimmy Hendrix numbers, and play the guitar behind his neck, as Jimmy did. I pass where the Ark was quite often, certainly brings back memories.

Wow, I use to go there in the late 60's. I remember they gave you a hand-stamp and then we would take off and buy some barley wines from a local beer off. Then get back and dance to soul music and Mungo Jerry? In fact I met me first girl friend there - o boy :-)

Oh the good nights we used to have in the Ark on Friday and Saturday nights. We were still at school (Myers Grove) but we used to look forward to it all week. We all used to get on the bus from Stannington and dance the night away to all our favourite motown tunes, and then back home again on the 10.0 clock bus. I remember once they had an "all nighter" and we all told our parents we were sleeping at each others houses so we could go. We never got found out though, such fantastic happy days and brilliant music.

Hi Mabel Lily - we were part of the same day crowd there then! Many great memories and times. Did you get to see the early motown acts at the City Hall too?

Yes we did. We also used to go to a disco at the Cutlers hall on a Saturday night. There used to be 2 "gogo dancers" on the stage and I always wanted to be one of them. I loved dancing to all the motown classics (still do actually but only in the kitchen). Did you live in Stannington? My best friend was Andrea Woodcock and we used to hang around with Tina and Vicky Metcalfe who were cousins with the Metcalfe twins who started the Arc originally.

Hi Mabel Lily - I lived in Pitsmoor at that time, and heard about the "Arc" when I was at St. Peters school. I was at the City Hall when the 4-Tops had their first concerts in England - where you there?