The 0114 Area code

I don't think OFTEL have implemented any 'new ' numbers for Sheffield yet, as the change from six to seven digits provided a lot of new numbers.

Does anyone remember the days when Sheffield city centre numbers only had FIVE digits and then in the 70's you had to put a '7' before it when they went to six figure numbers?

Or how about when areas had their own local dialling code, sich as '94' for Worksop, '92' for Rotherham?

And can anyone tell me why some businesses STILL incorrectly put their phone numbers on their buildings and vehicles? The number of times i've seen them like (for example) J.SMITH Tel: (01142) 123456

That really annoys me. Companies showing the London number are the worst, i.e. they show 0208 *** **** instead of 020 8** ****.

Even the Wright Stuff of channel 5 shows its telephone number as 0207 *** **** :loopy:

As far as I know 0114 is the Sheffield code, then all the individual numbers start with a 2.

If the Sheffield code was 01142 then when you dialled locally you wouldn't need to put the 2, but you do have to put the 2 so the code must be 0114.

If the full range of numbers go from 2000000 to 2999999, then that must be a million numbers.

I'll count them all individually, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, er 6, er er, oh sod it.

The idea was that eventually when they run out of 01142 numbers they can go to 01143

Ive just had a look on a telephone directory. Searched for a radom name of Smith under Dronfield and it takes me to Chesterfield. Either I need to find a name of someone who isnt ex directory who live in dronfield or dronfield is classed as part of Chesterfield, therefor it appears as 01246. Does anyone who visits this forum live in dronfield? if so do you have an 0114 number followed by anything other than a 2?

Surely all Sheffield numbers have the area code of 0114. The 2 has nothing to do with the code. Am I right? Any BT staff on SF?

Wow, a 4 year old thread dragged from the depths, nice one Apple Juice!

Ive just had a look on a telephone directory. Searched for a radom name of Smith under Dronfield and it takes me to Chesterfield. Either I need to find a name of someone who isnt ex directory who live in dronfield or dronfield is classed as part of Chesterfield, therefor it appears as 01246. Does anyone who visits this forum live in dronfield? if so do you have an 0114 number followed by anything other than a 2?

Dronfield has both,

Hilltop, Coal Aston + Dronfield Centre are 01246.

Parts of Dronfield Woodhouse, on the Bradway border is 0114 :loopy:

<snip>

[The 01142 number is actually the correct code for Sheffield but most people use it as the first number on the telephone number.]

seven digit local diallling within sheffield says otherwise

( ditto for Leicester 0116 and Nottingham 0115 among others )

also what about sheffield 20n nnnn numbers ? a number begining 0 or 1 is 'illegal' under the dialling logic system

Wow, a 4 year old thread dragged from the depths, nice one Apple Juice!

Thanks! I was sick of reading threads that are moans on the same subjects, so went back in time to see if I could find anything interesting

The SF Time Machine, it's great!

Incidentally, there are now quite a few 0114 3xxxxxx numbers in use.

Also, some non-geographical numbers from companies,(telewest, for example) actually go to 0114 0** **** through to 0114 5** ****

Local numbers beyond 5 are currently reserved for future expansion of the network.

If you take a look here...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UK_telephone_numbering_plan#PhONE_Day

You will find about 2/3's the way down you will find a bit on "PhONE Day"

Note that the first digit of the local numbers within these codes is no longer restricted to those shown: for example, while all pre-'PhONE Day' Leeds numbers migrated to 0113 2xx xxxx, this numbering range has since been exhausted, and local numbers of the form 0113 3xx xxxx are now assigned; similarly in Sheffield, the range 0114 2xx xxxx has also been exhausted and new numbers take the form 0114 3xx xxxx. This is also the case for Bristol, the range 0117 9xx xxxx has been exhausted. New numbers issued now take the form of 0117 3xx xxxx. Meanwhile in Nottingham, with the range 0115 9xx xxxx exhausted, new numbers issued take the form 0115 8xx xxxx.

London has also got a new extra code too... from June 2005, as well as the 020 7xxx xxxx and 020 8xxx xxxx, there is now 020 3xxx xxxx

I know that Tesco Internet phone use 0114 3XX XXXX.

Obviously as time progresses the scope will expand but that's the only extra range that I know of.