Smoke coming from car bonnet

This past wk I've noticed abit of smoke coming from under drivers side of bonnet of my car when I pull up as if somethings overheating. Well this morning I've got to work which is only 2.5 miles and it was quite bad so now I am panicking about it. It is an old car, only had its test last month though. Why is it only on one side? Any ideas what it is? Getting rid of it in a couple of months so if its something major then its not worth it but need to keep this on road until then.

Is it smoke or steam? If its only on one side, it's more likely steam escaping from the water tank. The car could be overheating due to a faulty water bottle cap not letting the pressure out properly. Keep an eye out for the car overheating and water level. It is not letting the pressure out properly so the water is boiling itself. Try and get a new cap and see if that helps.

What car is it? Does it have an auxiliary heater ie webasto, eberspacher?

Thanks for replying. It can't be the water as its on other side and it has happened in the past when the lid wasn't on right so I know it isn't that. Its a ford ka, could it be the thermostat? Someone did have a quick look the other day and said it probably all the dried oil etc and the car does have afew leaks.

Have you tried opening the bonnet and seeing where the smoke/steam is coming from? That might give you a hint as to the cause.

jb

I will have to have a look when I get home as still at work. Just didn't want to get burnt! Just really worried

!

I will have to have a look when I get home as still at work. Just didn't want to get burnt! Just really worried

!

Yeah, be careful you don't scald yourself on the steam.

jb

I had a similar problem a few weeks ago. Turned out the rocker box gasket had gone and oil had seeped onto the exhaust manifold and was burning off. Similar thing happens if you top up your oil and spill it on to the engine.

That does sound about right as there's loads of dried oil round rocker gasket where its split over but its been like that since I had it so why is it suddenly doing this? As long as its not dangerous that's what I'm bothered about.

Thanks for replying. It can't be the water as its on other side and it has happened in the past when the lid wasn't on right so I know it isn't that. Its a ford ka, could it be the thermostat? Someone did have a quick look the other day and said it probably all the dried oil etc and the car does have afew leaks.

Just because the water bottle is on the other side means nothing. It could still be a leak in the water system, a tear in a pipe or something similar. Is there any water leaking out underneath, have you checked the levels? Is there a hiss?

If it is smoke it is more worrying, especially on such a short journey.

It could be a dozen things. Until the OP can lift the bonnet and post up a picture of where the smoke / steam is coming from its pointless speculating.