Fitting a gas hob - advice

Hiya

I require a rough price and any advice for fitting a gas hob in my kitchen. The kitchen has been totally ripped out and now has a brand new gas supply to it. There is going to be an oven housing with a built in electric oven underneath. Will the kitchen fitter cut out the worktop and the gas fitter just connects it? Approx how much will this cost? and how long will it take? I assume the fitter needs to be corgi registered. Do I need any paperwork for this once its been fitted? cheers

The fitter should cut the worktop for you - there will be a template in with the hob.

A corgi registered installer will fit it for about £60 I believe. Is there a bayonet fitting on the end of the gas pipe you have had installed? It may be cheaper if they only have to supply and fit the flexi hose.

Youv'e been given some wrong advice above.

The kitchen fitter will cut out the worktop to accept the gas hob. Try to organise the gas fitter to be there before the base units and rear panels are fixed to the wall. It makes access easier.

Gas hobs have to be fitted with rigid copper pipe and not a hose via a bayonet fitting(Gas Regs). They also need an isolation valve which must be accessable and near to the hob.

Cost can be from £60-£90 depending on work needs doing. This cost also includes testing all the gas pipework for leaks, commissioning the hob, and registering it for Building Regs via CORGI (you are sent a certificate)

Make sure the gas fitter has a 'tick' on their corgi card next to cookers/hobs.

I've just looked at my hob fixings and found it is connected to the supply via a flexible hose. Is the use of fixed piping a newish regulation. The kitchin was here when we moved in 4 years ago although its probably a few years older than that. I believe the kitchen was fitted by Magnet.

Why would it be required to fix a hob with fixed pipework whereas a cooker can be fixed with a flexible pipe?

D&L

the cooker is on a flex due to the fact it can be moved to be cleaned or maintained.

a hob is a fixed appliance so needs fixing in a permanent position.

so rigid pipework and an isolator so it can be isolated :0

remember to check the site requirements of the hob .. manufacturers state usually 750 to a non combustible material ie: cooker hood.

some state 650 .. so check the manufacturers instructions before fitting the cupboards...

also check the distance either side of the burners to .. :)

quote from http://www.biasco.com/pbguides/hobs.php

IMPORTANT SAFETY ANNOUCEMENT

Care must be taken when installing gas hobs, as there are specific regulations that must be adhered to. There should be a minimum distance between a gas hob and the cooker hood or unit above of 750mm. If the hob is installed adjacent to a tall housing unit, then it should be at least 150mm from that unit. There should also be also be a gap on the other side of the hob of at least 750mm. If the hob is being installed in the gap between 2 tall units, then there must be a space of at least 300mm either side of the hob.

To avoid any confusion (and fires!), gas hobs should always be fitted by a C.O.R.G.I. registered fitter who will be familiar with these installation requirements.

It is illegal otherwise.

I've just looked at my hob fixings and found it is connected to the supply via a flexible hose. Is the use of fixed piping a newish regulation. The kitchin was here when we moved in 4 years ago although its probably a few years older than that. I believe the kitchen was fitted by Magnet.

Why would it be required to fix a hob with fixed pipework whereas a cooker can be fixed with a flexible pipe?

D&L

John has already answered. Also, as well as being a fixed appliance, manufacturers are aware that the majority of hobs will be above either a single or double oven.

moving into my new house and need a registered gas fitter to fit my gas cooker. he has told me on the phone that the price depends because he may need to move the gas pipework on the wall depending on the cooker which will then cost alot more. is this true or can you just have the pipes where they are? my cookeris not new but not very old either and has a glass shelf on the top of the cooker.

Can help you both out with your jobs if you'd like to give me a ring to discuss. Thanks, Lee

I think the OP will have had his gas hob sorted by now Lee,

the thread is nearly 3 years old:hihi::hihi:

regards Phil

Usual cost for a cooker is around £70 plus vat that includes a hose £15 Chain £2 bayonet £4 back plate and labour £45 if their is pipework to move that would be extra

I think the OP will have had his gas hob sorted by now Lee,

the thread is nearly 3 years old:hihi::hihi:

regards Phil

I think lee is replying to the post from 21/11/2011 and not 2008.

I'm looking for a gas engineer who is qualified to connect our new gas hob can any one recommend? We are looking at having this done over the next day or two, plus what is the average cost of having this done all the connections are there its simply a matter of connecting the hob to the gas pipe... Thanks