Does turning radiators off save money?

That does not address the fact that some are having money extorted from them for essentials, so that others can make vast profits.

It's helps to stop you being one of the exploited.

And it might help you to reconsider the use of emotive terms like "greedy shareholders".

It's helps to stop you being one of the exploited.

And it might help you to reconsider the use of emotive terms like "greedy shareholders".

I am talking here about principles. It is very obvious that they are a concept that you are not familiar with.

Prices were bound to increase from the day that the tories sold our national asset. As well as paying it's own running costs it now needs to make massive profits for greedy shareholders. England freezes while shareholders get rich.

actually a recent analysis showed a very large fraction of the price increases is being caused by green taxes increasing, not profiteering by the companies. Of course its convenient for the government to blame the companies and claim they are just increasing prices solely to increase profits.

THe best way to save money is not to use your heating at all. Go to Oxfam or other such charity shops, purchase socks, jumpers trousers etc. THen go home and put these additional clothes on, so one can wear several pairs of trousers, thus saving money on heating the home. Its simple really!

We have three upstairs rooms that are not used in the daytime so my question is would turning the radiators in these rooms off during the daytime save money.

I thought it would make sense to do this but others tell me it won't make any difference.

It depends whether you keep the doors shut to the rooms that aren't being heated.

I am talking here about principles. It is very obvious that they are a concept that you are not familiar with.

You managed to conclude that from advice on how to avoid 'exploitation' of buying a service from a profit making company... You must be very clever.

You managed to conclude that from advice on how to avoid 'exploitation' of buying a service from a profit making company... You must be very clever.

Thank you for your very precise and correct observations.

Eeeerm...come on fellas. The thread topic is to do with turning radiators off and the why's and wherefores of if it saves money or not.

Nothing to do with political point scoring about greedy or not companies and or governments.

I'm asking nicely...Please stay on topic!

Thanks

Pete

The real problem here of course is the massive hike in the cost of fuel that this government have allowed to happen.

Doctrine didn't last long I see :D

They have no choice, the previous government signed us up to binding quota's on renewables that are being paid for by a hike in bills.

"The EU’s renewable target, (agreed by Tony Blair in 2007) requires the UK to shift from just 1.3% of total energy from renewables in 2005, the baseline year under the EU Directive, to 15% by 2020 – the largest proposed increase of any member state"

Edited by Magilla

We have three upstairs rooms that are not used in the daytime so my question is would turning the radiators in these rooms off during the daytime save money.

I thought it would make sense to do this but others tell me it won't make any difference.

it depends. radiators heat the air around them, so if the rooms you do not use have their doors closed all the time, you should save money, but if the doors are open you will find the nearest radiator to that room is effectively heating a greater volume of air and so you will see no saving.

Guest sibon

It also depends upon the location of the thermostat.

If it is in one of the rooms with the radiators turned off, it will cost you more money:)

It also depends upon the location of the thermostat.

If it is in one of the rooms with the radiators turned off, it will cost you more money:)

The OP did say bedroom, which would be a very unusual place for the thermostat.

And I hope we can assume that the OP is bright enough to close the doors to the rooms that are unheated.