Draytek's and PPPoE Digital Region *FIX*

Yes but as you recall I bought the router in anticipation of getting Digital Region in the knowledge that the ISPs did NOT use PPPoE. So when I stumbled onto people in the US having problems with it, I just counted my blessings.

If Origin change to PPPoE now I doubt I have a leg to stand on regarding the sale of goods act, as its over a year old.

I suspect it won't be a problem though, the issues I think were with people using DD-WRT whereas I am using OpenWRT now.

Mostly, its just annoying me that Origin have made no official announcement about how the network changes will affect people. The first they mentioned that it would have any effect on me was that they said I had to be moved over before they could enable the Max Trial on my line. They made no mention of PPPoE when I then inquired about how the network changes will affect my static IP addresses.

Oh, maybe because I specifically asked Origin on the phone if they used PPPoE because I found out the router I had JUST bought had issues with PPPoE. So yes, its highly relevant how the inner working of your ISP works.

Also knowing how your ISP works can give you an idea of how badly they will be impacted if one of their peers is overloaded or has routing problems. Or how likely they will get overloaded. So its relevant to how reliable your ISP will be.

Just look at Virgin Media, people flock to it because they advertise the fastest speeds and are a well known big company. But their actual service can leave a lot to be desired because their network is highly contended at the street cabinets.

Knowing whether they use pppoe or not is hardly knowing the layout of their network. And who cares about what will happen in an outage? If it was that important to you then you'd be paying much more than £25 a month for a residential connection.

Also if your router has problems with pppoe I'd suggest buying a better one!

Just bear in mind that router can only handle up to 50Mbit, so no upgrade to 100Mbit for you. :P

Not really an issue tbh, my sync is 29/7mb. I was hoping it would be higher, but it's not the end of the world.

when ripwire moved to pppoe they didn't notify anybody until a few days before they were doing it and it was over the easter holiday period which made it worse as if people were on holiday or did not receive the email they were none the wiser.

even if you move to pppoe, origin may still provide you with a static ip - i had one when i was on pppoe with ripwire - all they will do is assign the ip address permanently to you as i can't see them removing it from you if they have already provided you with one.

from buffalo's european website - which means you could still be covered - just advise your isp has switched to pppoe and you are having problems

Buffalo products come with a 2-year limited warranty from the date of purchase. For Wirelss products and Business Nas (TeraStations) we offer a 3-years limited warranty from the date of purchase.

Sure Ripwire did that and look at where they are now! I expect better from Origin.

Oliver already stated that everyone will get a static IP as standard, so that is not an issue.

Although it will be interesting to see how they would deliver more than one as he also said he would honour my previous configuration of three static IPs if I still need them.