Who's at fault here in this car crash

Who was at fault for this crash?  

213 members have voted

1. 1. Who was at fault for this crash?

• White car
    • Black car
    • Other answer

So to those who say the white car was to blame...

Do you think the white car, who wants to go straight on to Rotherham, and gets in the correct lane for doing so, should then turn left under the viaduct because of how the lane markings on the actual roundabout say?

If so, lets consider a motorist driving towards that roundabout for the first time, being completely unfamiliar with the roundabout and who only has the road signs and lane markings for guidance...

If they want to go straight on to Rotherham, which lane should they position themselves in when they are approaching the roundabout? Should they read the arrows and writing on the road surface and get into the left lane, because this is what they are being told, or should they completely ignore what the writing says and get in the middle lane, despite the writing telling them this lane takes them elsewhere?

Remember, they aren't familiar with the roundabout, and can only go on what they see.

So to those who say the white car was to blame...

Do you think the white car, who wants to go straight on to Rotherham, and gets in the correct lane for doing so, should then turn left under the viaduct because of how the lane markings on the actual roundabout say?

If so, lets consider a motorist driving towards that roundabout for the first time, being completely unfamiliar with the roundabout and who only has the road signs and lane markings for guidance...

If they want to go straight on to Rotherham, which lane should they position themselves in when they are approaching the roundabout?

Should they read the arrows and writing on the road surface and get into the left lane, because this is what they are being told, or should they completely ignore what the writing says and just get one of the other lanes?

Remember, they aren't familiar with the roundabout, and can only go on what they see.

Google street view shows a foreign wagon taking the same approach in the middle lane and managing to do so correctly. I think it's safe to assume that the driver isn't from around here and that English probably isn't his/her native language and that they were going the wrong way around a roundabout compared with their native Europe.

The signage is sufficient enough to cover this, which makes me wonder how some people can't see that the driver of the black vehicle got it wrong.

The white car was in the correct lane on approach to the roundabout to go onwards to Rotherham. The road markings confirm this.

The black car in the wrong lane on approach to go left on to the viaduct. He should have been in the left hand lane. The road markings again confirm this.

It worries me that I'm sharing the road with some of the posters on here. In days gone by, the driver of the black car may well have been prosecuted for careless driving. The white car did nothing wrong and was just unfortunate to collide with an idiot.

Yes, the road markings are clear but the rest of your comment is clearly wrong. I have already posted a number of images to back this up. Post #108

ref: http://imgur.com/a/mLzqa

White car is in the left hand lane and crosses into the adjacent lane occupied by the black car. The highway code is clear and again was quoted in post #117.

The black car was making a left turn where it shouldn't have even considered it.

The white car was proceeding ahead to the Rotherham exit as it was entitled to do.

So how could the white car have been at fault?

So today I had to take a D1 driving test.

Guess where we went?! - yep, in the black car lane in order to go onto the M1s.

I know people have asked for an expert opinion on this matter so I seized my chance. Whilst waiting in the traffic on the approach I explained the scenario to the examiner and asked his opinion.

He said if you go to the M1N from here you'll fail!

He said that the markings on approach clearly indicate that lane is for the M1S.

The white car has simply followed the lane designation and cannot be at fault.

The black car has not followed the lane designations and failed to clear his path so is at fault.

So there you have it. We can all have opinions but this is a driving examiner, assessing all vehicle types - on the scene looking at he situation - so I'm going with what he said!

Some on here won't be happy with that conclusion Nugget. I wonder what our police qualified and Advance qualified member will think of this? Not to mention the 69 members in the poll :hihi:

Some on here won't be happy with that conclusion Nugget. I wonder what our police qualified and Advance qualified member will think of this? Not to mention the 69 members in the poll :hihi:

You can lead a horse to water.....

Yawn. So let me see - you state that one set of qualifications is worthless at the same time you appeal to different authority...

That's a logical fallacy right there.

So convenient you just happened to drive that way doing a D1 test isn't it....

Yawn. So let me see - you state that one set of qualifications is worthless at the same time you appeal to different authority...

That's a logical fallacy right there.

So convenient you just happened to drive that way doing a D1 test isn't it....

It is convenient, although not that unlikely as it is on the test route. I was doing the independent drive at the time. I passed, thanks for asking.

If you want to call me a liar, just do it, no need to intimate it. If you like I can PM you a photo of my pass certificate and the name of the examiner - feel free to ask him.

I wasn't intimating it. You were the one that decided to bring that up for reasons I cannot fathom...

About your selective use of the appeal to authority - an answer?

No thought not.

Its curious that that you said nothing until you stumbled over me on another thread and then came scampering back here for a spot of rabble rousing...

I wasn't intimating it. You were the one that decided to bring that up for reasons I cannot fathom...

About your selective use of the appeal to authority - an answer?

No thought not.

Its curious that that you said nothing until you stumbled over me on another thread and then came scampering back here for a spot of rabble rousing...

Ok well, we'll let others decide what you were intimating. It's fairly clear.

I didn't selectively appeal to another authority. I found an opportune moment, to discuss something with someone who's opinion I thought may add to the discussion. I'm sorry he doesn't agree with you and that appears to have upset you.

I don't know you from Adam, you are not an authority I recognised as qualified just because you say you are. I like to gather opinions from various sources and make my own mind up. He seemed a qualified source to me.

It isn't curious that I said nothing, before - I was doing my test (13:50 it was). I wanted to get back home and write a post properly. Actually you didn't enter my thoughts when I wrote it. Not sure why you would think that it would. As I said I don't know you - you are just some woman/man on the internet to me. I thought others may find it interesting.

So you don't have an answer and it's just rabble rousing. Thanks for clarifying.