Primary schools in Wybourn.

I did ask this in the parenting group but had no joy so hopefully someone here may know..

I'm starting to look at schools for my little boy and was hoping someone may have experience of the primary schools in Wybourn. Emmaus and Wybourn community primary are nearest to us and Manor lodge about a half hour walk away. Opinions? Thanks :)

Emmaus every time. All ours have been there, or it's former incarnation St Oswalds. My little girl is currently there and loves it.

Thought so..do they have to be Christend?

I doubt the Muslim children there have been. ;)

Cheers, here's to not picking up kids from school in pyjamas and swearing at the gates!

my kids went to wybourn just because they were too young for emmaus, now i take them all the way to stradbroke instead

I have children in Wybourn primary, and in the nursery there, and I couldn't be happier with the teaching and the way the school is being run.

Also if you check to ofsted reports, Wybourn is doing a bit better than Emmaus. I think people just assume that because it's a catholic school it will be better. Suppose if you are catholic it's a simple decision, but otherwise do some research to reach a informed decision, as the formative years are spent in primary school.

Others here like Emmaus, so I guess whichever you choose will be ok :)

Edited by Reebo

Hi!

One of my girls is at Wybourn Primary and my other girl is at the nursery at the sure start centre that feeds into the school.

Both of my girls attended the nursery and both my girls will be attending the school come next September.

I do not have a bad word to say about the school. My daughter seemed to thrive and grow in her reception year, coming on in leaps and bounds and any issues or problems I had to do with her learning the teachers were very approachable. She is now in year one at the school and continues to thrive and she loves it.

I disagree with parents taking their kids to school in their PJ's. I live opposite the school and have never seen anyone taking their child to school in PJ's, but I have to admit, I do hear them swearing and this does need to be toned down, specially when there are kids about.

The school has good policies and they treat every child equally.

Some kids might not get a very good start and may not have opportunities to do things when they are not at school, so for the kids that aren't lucky enough to have many life experiances, the school tries their best to cater for every "special" occasion and give the children as many experiences as they can.

They are a very welcoming parent friendly school. They allow parents to be in school to drop children off into the classroom and then complete morning work with their children too. Which isn't what I have heard that goes on in Emmaus, but I don't know how true that is. They love parents in the school, even as far as parent volunteering goes and it you want to help out in school, all you have to do is ask.

The ofstead reports say it all really when compared, this is what helped me make my decision, especially not being from the area, but I do feel I made the right decision.

This is just my own experience and my views of the school, but everyone is different.

Why not take a look around both schools and see what you think for yourself? Get a feel for the learning environments that your children will be placed in and then make a decision from there.

Hope that helps :)

Personally, I wouldn't touch Emmaus with a barge pole. Poor teaching, poor leadership, poor attitudes, poor inclusion, and poor ofsted. Wish we'd never bothered.

No school is perfect but some are worse than others. The sad thing is there are a few really good teachers there, but they may as well not bother :(

I had to remove both my children from there, we moved here a cpl of years ago, my daughter started in reception and my lad in y4. By Easter my little girl had had a breakdown due to bullying by the reception teacher (she's still in counselling and play therapy now, she's in y2!), we had to go all the way to the diocese of hallam, the management just weren't interested. We removed my son a year later due to bullying by a pupils, it didn't get sorted either. The sad thing is this is not a one off, the more I people I spoke to about it, the more people remarked that they knew of other people, or they personally knew others with bad experiences.

We asked a lot about Wybourn, and got many positive reviews. So glad we made that choice. My daughter started there, reduced her teacher to tears because she was hiding under tables and rocking, and asking why she wasn't being shouted at, and being punished everyday. She's now thriving, in fact, they both are, they've gone from low mood, failing children, to happy, florishing, motivated learners.

They are very different in attitude, Wybourn chooses to be an open school, open to parents and also community learning. They offer several courses, and have been training volunteers. They are very inclusive, supportive and have excellent pastoral care. They also offer so much for the children, play workers at lunchtime so no bullying, computer clubs, proud clubs, always good children clubs, shine assembly for good work, class assemblies once a week, lots and lots of positive reinforcement - I can tell you now, Emmaus didn't do any of those things!! And they are all sooo important for healthy minds. They were all about negative reinforcement and not positive.

Emmaus's big pull is that it is the feeder for all saints, Wybourn for park academy. That said, since park became an academy, it too has been recognised as one of the highest acheiving schools in the area, gcse results are up, up to 90% a-c. I'm now considering it as a real possibility, it's out of special measures and into good with outstanding features, strong leadership makes such a difference.

Wybourn has a strong leadership, and positive attitudes to the children and it's parents. They were recently recognised as the highest acheiving school in the area for accomplishing so much in a short space of time. Sats results are excellent, it's a good with outstanding features school. No school is without issues but I know which one I would go for every time!!

Has to be Emmaus,both my children go there & they love it.never had any problems of any sort,a new headteacher from last yr & wow what a big difference already,ofsted report not as good as Wybourn school but that was due to a couple of weak subjects which has been addressed & teachers from All Saints,school brought in,has always been strict & recently become a lot stricter but in a good way,rare if ever hear bad language in the school,every1 comments how well behaved & polite my 2 children are & clever,well above average,have had dealings with Wybourn school & nursery & do find them lovely as staff goes but for me,a better class shool in Emmaus,alot of changes have been made this past yr,all for the better,a few teachers not up to scratch been removed,new brought in,i know of a few that have removed there children from Emmaus only to find the problem was still there in there in their new school,some times parents are too hasty,some don't like how strict the school is with rules & uniform but is in the childrens best interest.It is a feeder school to All Saint,1 of the top schools.

Edited by MYANGELS