Best pub for Sunday Lunch in and around Sheffield

the most generous sized sunday lunch i've had is at the waggon and horses at Millhouses (on the side of the park)

massive plates - the size of 'carvery style' buffet trays.

try the RAILWAY HOTEL up from parkgate going to the roudabout towards parkgate shopping centre,its on the left going up,

£5 and Fantastic and a pile of food BUT be in there early .

Originally posted by blondee

can't remember the name of it but it's the last pub on your left as you drive down ecclesall road into town. Opposite Safeway. Not been for a while, but the last time I went it was about £3.75 and it's one of the best sunday lunches I've had.

Did Buffy know about this? :D

The Fat Cat has won awards for its food and it's dirt cheap.

Sunday Lunch (shouldn't that be Dinner) is around £3.50. Dessert if you can manage it about £1.50.

Best eaten in the beer garden in summer as the pub can be a bit cramped downstairs - there is an overspill room upstairs but it's a bit gloomy. Plenty of Vegan/Vegetarian choice too and a lovely cat called Steffi

my vote is for crosspool tavern too ...even midweek its good value.

You might want to check out the Strines which is out in the Moors/Dales (?) somewhere - It's one of the oldest pubs in the country, is in the countryside (which is always a bonus in my books), is quaint inside and does good Roasts (as far as I can remember)

:-)

The Wheatsheaf @ Whirlow.

Although it's now called Toby Carvery... it's on Eccy Road South.

Price.. about £6.50 - £7.50 per head. But worth it, and you can go back for seconds, thirds, fourths...

Sorry as this is a bit old now, but i got here through searching on google!

But, does anyone know what bus i can get to this place from town? I've decided i feel like an all you can eat sunday roast and this is the nearest one:(

I would add the Shepley Spitfire in Totley. Reasonable prices, plates the size of Toga and enough food to feed Togans for a week.

Should be at home for sure, but failing that, I will offer my advice.

I read through the previous threads and the first thing that struck me is it depends on what your reference points are. Take my bruv for example. I could take him to the cheapest, nastiest theme pub, feed him on frozen scampi peas and oven chips and he'd love that just as much as if I took him to a top starred Michelin restaurant. And if that's what he likes then who am I to say he's wrong? There's no accounting for personal taste sometimes.

I'll tell you what my reference points are first. I grew up on bread and dip (minus the bacon) and now find myself travelling the world staying in top hotels on business and dining in top restaurants. What I've learned is that good food can be found at all levels be it cheap and basic or expensive and fancy. I don't mind shelling out for a really special dining experience, I do mind shelling out for below par food and service. Usually, if I'm eating out, I like to have something at least as good, if not better, than I could do at home. Otherwise, why bother?

OK, so to my recommendations:

A number of you have mentioned places like Fox House, Dore Moor, Peacock at Owler bar. Fine - yes, they are o.k. They are theme pubs and there are dozens of them all over the country offering exactly the same menu at similar prices. Not too expensive, not too cheap. Somewhere in the middle. And the same can be said of the food. It won't disappoint, but it won't be the most earth shattering experience either. But you can expect decent fare, nice surroundings and pleasant service.

The Chequers at Froggat is a step up from these in terms of its food, but oh dear, the service is very poor. If you dare to order a starter expect to spend at least half a day there. I'm afraid they just can't cope, especially at busy times. I've waited almost 1.5 hours for a starter and then they tried to rush us from the table at the main course because they'd got others waiting for it. What a shame. Nice menu, decent food, awful service.

There are 2 interesting newcomers on the scene around Sheffield recently, both pubs owned/part owned by the Thornbridge brewery. The Cricket Inn at Totley Bents and The Coach and Horses at Dronfield. If it's the best beer in the country you're after, look no further. The Kipling and Jaipur brews in particular are sensational. The Coach and Horses does very nice food too, but beware the closing times. I ordered at 8.31pm on a busy saturday evening and was refused because they stop serving at 8.30. (No matter that I'd waited 3 or 4 minutes at the bar first). Such pedantry is only found in England eh? The Cricket Inn has a tempting menu, with a twist. Sometimes that twist is a bit unfortunate, as in ordering beefburgers for our kids only to find they came heavily spiced and the kids couldn't eat them. Or, a steak and kidney pie, that actually isn't a pie but has some sort of flat hard crispy top on it. Personally, I like traditional food to be just that, traditional. So I don't see the point in messing about with old traditional favourites to get a different slant on things. The food at the Cricket Inn is also very expensive and I'm not sure it's worth it - but, lots like it, so you might want to try?

A previous contributor mentioned the George & Dragon at Wentworth. I have to agree wholeheartedly. It's a spit and sawdust sort of place that serves up big portions of homely, traditional fare. No fuss, no pretence, just good, solid home cooked food. Reminds me a little bit of another favourite place, The Cheshire Cheese on Edale Road, Hope. (No, not the one as you come into Castleton, that's different, that's "Ye Olde Cheshire Cheese"). The Cheshire Cheese serves up hearty fare for walkers descending down from Win Hill and the like. Big coal fires, hearty plates of Roast Beef with big Yorkshire puds, home made puddings. Lovely! Wish there were more places like this. The Red Lion at Litton used to be in a similar vein at one time but I've not tried it for some while now. I gather it's under new ownership so any reports welcome please.

On the hotel scene one of my favourites is still Hassop Hall. Not because the food is outstanding, it's ok, but not outstanding. But the overall experience, surroundings etc all adds to the occasion.

On gastropubs, well... I tried Rowley's at Baslow. It's ok if you like to be called "guys" regardless of whether you are male or female. The service is young and snazzy, the wine list is, err...well, cheap and nasty, and the food is moderately good.

I'd prefer the Devonshire Arms at Beeley anytime. Nice range of food from simple snacks to the real thing - good wines, nice atmosphere.

I'm sure there are many I've missed, so let me know...

Coach and Horses, Dronfield.

Good food, nice staff, top ale and cosy. Book ahead!!!

We have had a couple of dinners at the forest on Rutland rd.It's a very casual local pub with mostly regulars but for a fiver you get a delicious home made soup then a carvery lunch,usually 2 melt in your mouth meats,new potatoes,roast potatoes,yorkshire puds and 3/4 veg...well worth £5.All are made very welcome..:thumbsup: