Sign in to follow this  

"Please apply in writing" What exactly does this mean?

Can someone please help me?

I'm about to apply for a job and it says:

"Please apply in writing?"

What does this term actually mean?

Does it mean physically write and NOT type the covering letter as some companies do handwriting analysis; or does it mean send your application instead of phoning to apply for the job?

I'm confused and can't find the answer; I always thought it meant write, not type but someone said it doesn't mean you have to write, but send yor applictaion instead of phoning.

Check if there is an application form (phone them up if need be). If you can get it off the internet then ask if you can submit it online or by email.

If not, they will want a detailed covering letter and an up to date CV. I would be very surprised if they will only accept handwritten applications - after all most employers want good IT skills so you can demonstrate that by sending off a well formatted and well presented Covering Letter and CV. If in doubt, phone them up and ask.

Hope this helps

Sean

Yes it does, many thanks for taking the time to reply.

I would lift information from my CV that is relevant to the specific job and include it in the covering letter and limit that to an absolute maximum of 2 pages.

They may be innundated and therefore unwilling to extract the relevant information themselves. The easier it leaps off the page at them, the more chance you have of getting through to the next stage. And it doesn't hurt to do a bit of research on the Company and drop a line in somewhere.

It would mean to me that you apply by post and not phone.

Fill in your application form if you have one and send a covering letter.

I personally would hand write it then that way they get a better idea of your spelling and grammar not helped by spell check etc.

Good luck:thumbsup:

Thanks, I normally type one and then write one so I can send both, I always thought the phrase was a little ambiguous.

Originally posted by Joanna

Can someone please help me?

I'm about to apply for a job and it says:

"Please apply in writing?"

What does this term actually mean?

Does it mean physically write and NOT type the covering letter as some companies do handwriting analysis; or does it mean send your application instead of phoning to apply for the job?

I'm confused and can't find the answer; I always thought it meant write, not type but someone said it doesn't mean you have to write, but send yor applictaion instead of phoning.

apply in writing means to post your covering letter and cv. you can always call them as you need to write someones name on it, shouldn't write, dear sir when apply for a job.

Originally posted by Joanna

Thanks, I normally type one and then write one so I can send both, I always thought the phrase was a little ambiguous.

have you ever seen "apply in typing"?..........er no, which suggests........

Very simple, this is why you are unemployed ;)

apply in writing also means to indicate iny our letter that youa re applying for the position.

you would be surprised at the number of job applicants who simply send a letter saying how they good they are with cv, but never explain why they are writing.

As an interview skills trainer for many years, I've always taught that "apply in writing" means don't phone.

apply in writing means to post your covering letter and cv. you can always call them as you need to write someones name on it, shouldn't write, dear sir when apply for a job.

Apply in writing means just that! What's all this CV business?