How/what is GKR karate?

They have a few clubs that I know of. There's one in Stocksbridge and another in Hillsborough. I imagine, with their aggressive marketing and sales technique, that there's other clubs springing up around the place.

I met a couple of their assistant instructors once when they were doing their sales rounds - basically door to door sales. The instructor jobs are advertised and the lads I spoke to were promised salaries of £20k when they started their own clubs.

I don't really see how it's sustainable but the guys seemed to be happy enough. And, while I have no idea of the standards of teaching, it would be a shame if this kind of practice pulls down the name of other martial arts as a whole.

There's plenty of info on these two sites if you're interested.

http://www.gkrkarate.com/

http://www.gkrkarate.org/index.html

Rise of the McDojo!

Here's your mawashigeri, would you like fries with it?

makes a mockery of those of us that train hard for our art/MA and gives those instructors that try and build a club based on real skill very hard. No wonder some parents expect gradings and passes considering the money they have to part with.

around a year ago they came to my house i registered for the lifetime membership option and 3 month later decided to quit, it wasn't at all what i had expected but i suppose its good for the little ones.

Yep .... Go Kan Ryu is just a money making franchise run by people with little or no experience .....

Experienced karate or MA people aren't usually allowed to even watch never mind train in GKR dojos as it might make the instructor look like the crap that they are ......

Whats involved with the "lifetime membership"?

Whats involved with the "lifetime membership"?

If you quit... they kill you ;)

Ive heard that they even threaten to beat up parents if they dont pay up,..etc

and they have a system where they fine kids' parents if the kids misbehave in class???

I say we "Tek Kwoon" like in the bruce lee films :P

we once had a GKR instructor come to one of our classes, she had come just for some "extra sparring practise" turns out she didnt even have no basics and that class was made difficult for us lot because the instructor had to slow down for her riht down to teaching her a basic jab, cross and fighting stance

GKR is terrible and shudnt be touched with a barge pole

i think if people are happy doing what they like to do then let them do it, certification means nothing as long as they are happy who cares!

Are you going to be happy 'X' months down the line, when you suddenly realise that you've been taught by someone who's only had a few months experience?

Years ago Martial arts weren't taught to gaijin. They were secret.

Maybe in future real martial arts will be just as difficult to find again, as you'll have to wade through a sea of McDojo's to find them.

If they're happy? They do say ignorance is bliss, but they're paying to be enlightened

GKR is a terrible, terrible art - a disgrace to even call it a "martial art" as it gives the rest of us who train hard and work hard for your MA a bad name. Grrr!

I have someone that trained with them and from some of the story’s he told me I think I would have showed them the finger.

I have a video given to me about them with the founder on it LOL