Display port versus vga

just got a new computer which has a display port and a vga port.

My monitor has vga divx and hdmi inputs.

Would I be correct in thinking I would get best quality by using display port with an adaptor to hdmi

VGA will handle up to 1080p without an issue, you really only need Display Port / HDMI if you're looking at passing audio to it - or you have no other option...

VGA will handle up to 1080p without an issue, you really only need Display Port / HDMI if you're looking at passing audio to it - or you have no other option...

Cheers Ghozer

from my experience, digital video gives better quality than analog vga.

If your monitor supports DVI then I think it's worth spending a few quid on a DisplayPort to DVI adapter and DVI to DVI cable.

The fact that you convert a digital output to analog and back again will reduce quality though.

The fact that you convert a digital output to analog and back again will reduce quality though.

not noticeable for general use - only really when you get to pro usage levels, like CAD and graphic design etc...

Not withstanding it's a 30 year old standard this year too....

Displayport/HDMI will certainly give you a clearer signal and image and has a much higher bandwidth.

you dont need to convert Display port to hdmi/dvi though, it's much easier to go DVI <> HDMI! (and cheaper for the adaptors, in my experience)

I already have DVI and HDMI cables so it's just an adapter I need .

Is there any advantage in one or the other, computer is used for photo editing.

Electronically interchangeable if it's DVI-D and HDMI I believe, so no difference.

you have a DVI monitor, so purchase a DisplayPort to DVI adapter, and a DVI to DVI cable.

Shouldn't set you back more than a tenner, and will offer sharper and clearer output than standard VGA.

A must for photo editing, where you're staring close up at the screen all day.

Don't use DP to VGA, you will end up with a much poorer picture, keep it digital.