Snake or Woodhead Pass : Which Sheffield to Manchester route?

Yeah i heard closed for the rest of the week but wasn't sure if they counted the weekend as well lol :D

i could but ide rather go the way i know, might just take the motorway or get him to come here instead :cool:

Do you want to say where you are trying to get to?

The motorway is a hell of a long way round and moreover, high winds are forecast tomorrow so I wouldn't want to be on the M62.

In my opinion, Woodhead is usually busier, and has more heavy goods traffic than Snake. Also at busy times Tintwistle can seem like a car park, its so slow.

As other people have said, a lot depends on where you are coming from. I live close to the A57 on the west side of Sheffield so the Snake is better for me. Even if I were around Hillsborough / Penistone Road, I'd go out on Rivelin Valley Road to get to the Snake in preference to either Middlewood Road or Grenoside to get to Woodhead. Its only if I lived over to the east that I would go up the to Junction 35A of the M1 and go via Woodhead, just to avoid driving through the city.

Of course it's pretty academic at the moment. According to tonight's TV news, it might be quite a while until they repair the Snake - I think that they don't really know the extent of the damage yet. I wonder if we'll have a period of traffic light controlled single way traffic.

well im trying to get to Rochdale, which i usually, depending on which side of sheffield im at, go m1>m62 and get off at J20, or go over Snake Pass. Since ive only been driving since september, i get a bit confuddled driving places i dont know lol

x

and as for the m62..its okay when its windy when your driving home - get blown home, cuts driving time down :P

In my opinion, Woodhead is usually busier, and has more heavy goods traffic than Snake. Also at busy times Tintwistle can seem like a car park, its so slow.

As other people have said, a lot depends on where you are coming from. I live close to the A57 on the west side of Sheffield so the Snake is better for me. Even if I were around Hillsborough / Penistone Road, I'd go out on Rivelin Valley Road to get to the Snake in preference to either Middlewood Road or Grenoside to get to Woodhead. Its only if I lived over to the east that I would go up the to Junction 35A of the M1 and go via Woodhead, just to avoid driving through the city.

Of course it's pretty academic at the moment. According to tonight's TV news, it might be quite a while until they repair the Snake - I think that they don't really know the extent of the damage yet. I wonder if we'll have a period of traffic light controlled single way traffic.

I live quite close to the A57 (Wisewood) but still usually go via the Woodhead route as I find it generally to be quicker (when Middlewood Rd is open) as I tend to find lots of hold ups and traffic lights going through Glossop and then you have the snarl up at Mottram/Tintwistle which affects both routes.

Although which ever route I take to Manchester I usually take the alternate route back unless I'm in a hurry then it's back to the Woodhead as it's also a straighter road.

If you go to Bamford then towards Castleton you can go up to Bradwell and join the A6 which will take you to Stockport and then the M60, depending on which side of the city you are from this could be the best route.

Although you will still hit heavy traffic at peak times on the A6 through Disley, Stockport and the M60.

I live quite close to the A57 (Wisewood) but still usually go via the Woodhead route as I find it generally to be quicker (when Middlewood Rd is open) as I tend to find lots of hold ups and traffic lights going through Glossop and then you have the snarl up at Mottram/Tintwistle which affects both routes.

Although which ever route I take to Manchester I usually take the alternate route back unless I'm in a hurry then it's back to the Woodhead as it's also a straighter road.

Mottram affects both routes, but I've often been held up through Tintwistle on the Woodhead route, but Glossop always seems an easier run, as the traffic keeps moving.

Thinking a bit more about it - I usually travel to M/cr to go to the Airport. When I travel from home, it is usually via the A57, and early in the morning. When I travel from work (near M1 Junction 36), it is usually later in the morning or early afternoon, via Woodhead, so it may just be the time of the day that means it is usually quite busy.

Having seen a film shot and listened to Look North - I would say it will be closed. The road is fractured by debris etc - and I think they said closed for the foreseeable future. (Only a guess on that evidence).

http://www.theaa.com/travelwatch/inc/travel_news_redirect.jsp

http://www.bbc.co.uk/looknorthyorkslincs/latest_stories/index.shtml - Link to tonight's edition to view what I saw?

Damm :mad:, Got to go to Rochdale on Saturday 2nd , that means either going via the Woodhead ( Extra 30 mins ) or going on the A6 ( Extra 5 days :mad:) grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Damm :mad:, Got to go to Rochdale on Saturday 2nd , that means either going via the Woodhead ( Extra 30 mins ) or going on the A6 ( Extra 5 days :mad:) grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Aye thats where im trying to get to as well, think im just gonna go the motorway, keep it simple without getting lost lol.. hey lets carpool :P

Aye thats where im trying to get to as well, think im just gonna go the motorway, keep it simple without getting lost lol.. hey lets carpool :P

Would you be safe with me :D Look at my picture :hihi:

Husband's just 'phoned from Manchester, he left home at 6:30a.m. and he uses all routes normally but, today, he went M1 then M62 no problems. Snake is still closed including weekends.

I need to go to the airport on saturday, so Im hoping it will be open by then too, but from these earlier posts, its not looking likely. I might go the M62 way to be on the safe side, but it seems quite a trek!