Multi-vitamins, a good thing?

Agreed, someone eating a proper balanced diet, and who does not have any problem with malabsorbtion, (such as those who have crohns disease, or who have had a gastric bypass, and cannot absorb enough nutrients) doesn't need supplements, as they should be getting enough through their daily diet.

Taking more than the Recommended Daily Allowance can be dangerous,

Too much vitamin A may cause nausea, blurred vision, and dizziness. Vvitamin C or zinc could cause nausea, diarrhea, and stomach cramps. Too much selenium could lead to problems including hair loss, gastrointestinal upset, fatigue, and mild nerve damage.

They're completely unnecessary for most people most of the time.

A quarter of all toddlers in the UK are lacking Vitamin D, according to research.

Dr Benjamin Jacobs, consultant paediatrician at the Royal National Orthopaedic Hospital, described the issue as a “major problem”.

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/health-and-families/health-news/a-quarter-of-uk-toddlers-are-lacking-vitamin-d-6293780.html

What is your idea of a ballanced diet, and how many people eat a ballanced diet?

Some independent market studies suggest that vegetarians constitute 7% to 11% of the UK adult population (4 million people). I think that is quite a high figure.

In the UK McDonald's served a record 325m customers.

I've never eaten a McDonald's in my life I hate the slop jockeys,

I'm not a vegetarian I just don't like lumps of meat I prefer chicken or fish my daughter in law says that you can get all the minerals and vitamins you need from a vegetarian diet, but I would think it would be a bit boring to be a complete vegetarian, I like pasta and rice you can make good healthy meals with that.

Most people in this country are short of vitamin D, "the sunshine vitamin" as we get so little sunshine. Also food does not contain much vitamin D. It is particularly important for babies and small children because rickets is reappearing in this country. Also people who cannot get out in the sun much, e.g. housebound elderly people tend to be deficient in vitamin D.

As it is a fat-soluble vitamin, if taking it as a supplement, it needs to be taken with or after a meal. - I take it and it has greatly improved my muscle strength.

Your GP can arrange a blood test to measure the level if felt necessary or you can arrange a blood test using the postal system: I think it is Birmingham Universiyt that provide this service. - It used to cost about £20. Maybe it is a little more now.

HTH.

What is your idea of a ballanced diet, and how many people eat a ballanced diet?

In the UK McDonald's served a record 325m customers.

I hope that wasn't in one lunchtime :suspect:

---------- Post added 29-03-2013 at 16:55 ----------

A quarter of all toddlers in the UK are lacking Vitamin D, according to research.

Dr Benjamin Jacobs, consultant paediatrician at the Royal National Orthopaedic Hospital, described the issue as a “major problem”.

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/health-and-families/health-news/a-quarter-of-uk-toddlers-are-lacking-vitamin-d-6293780.html

that's to do with them not getting enough sunlight.......staying indoors and sunblock being the main culprits.................and the total covering up of women won't do them any favours either

the problem with overdosing on vitamins is more likely to be the fat soluble ones...A and D I think....

hence why best not to dose the whole population........

Edited by Parvo

If you are on about the cost of a balanced diet, junk food and take away's cost a lot more than good food to buy,I like to think I have a balanced diet a few vegetables and fruit a week bit of meat or fish not to many fried things that's all you need really.

Not about the cost,no-but I do not achieve true balance due to reluctance to eat farmented dairy products and brass acres.

---------- Post added 29-03-2013 at 18:33 ----------

Most people in this country are short of vitamin D, "the sunshine vitamin" as we get so little sunshine. Also food does not contain much vitamin D. It is particularly important for babies and small children because rickets is reappearing in this country. Also people who cannot get out in the sun much, e.g. housebound elderly people tend to be deficient in vitamin D.

As it is a fat-soluble vitamin, if taking it as a supplement, it needs to be taken with or after a meal. - I take it and it has greatly improved my muscle strength.

Your GP can arrange a blood test to measure the level if felt necessary or you can arrange a blood test using the postal system: I think it is Birmingham Universiyt that provide this service. - It used to cost about £20. Maybe it is a little more now.

HTH.

I think a nice tin of pilchards is a good sauce.