The Stop Smoking Megathread [ including Champix]

:wow:

Gulp!

Dont panic!!!! It isnt a bad feeling and its not a feeling of want.

But I suppose when you've done something 15-20 a day for so long its difficult to get it out of your mind you just tend to think about them but you dont actually want one (hopefully!!!)

And for almost 30 years the 1st thing I did every single morning (and thats almost 11,000 times) was light a fag so its ingrained in your mind.

Linda

4. Health and fitness - once you get over the sore throat (how long do I have to put up with this by the way ? Anyone?)

Hey John,

Loved the story about Horseshoe Cottage. I am sure it was no laughing matter at the time but it certainly made me laugh when I read about it. Of course the blinkin' horseshoe was upside down! :)

I am at 4 1/2 weeks and I only have a sore throat when I wake up in the morning. (I do feel it at night if I have woken from an hallucinagenic dream!) I was so glad to read about the sore throat on this forum because I was beginning to think that I had throat cancer. You know, "quit smoking, get cancer.") Anyway, hopefully your throat will only bother you in the morning, before your first cuppa, soon.

Oh, and I agree with you 100% about it being all about will power. The Champix is an aide but WE ARE THE ONES IN CONTROL OF NOT SMOKING! How great are we???? My husband thinks since there is a methadone program for heroin addicts that there should be one for smokers. Perhaps he is right! Nicotine is the worst!

Have a lovely day all. It is 7:30 a.m. here and I must wake the kids for school.

Hugs to all!

Alex

Edited by Yomama

Dont panic!!!! It isnt a bad feeling and its not a feeling of want.

But I suppose when you've done something 15-20 a day for so long its difficult to get it out of your mind you just tend to think about them but you dont actually want one (hopefully!!!)

And for almost 30 years the 1st thing I did every single morning (and thats almost 11,000 times) was light a fag so its ingrained in your mind.

Linda

I have that feeling now but don't think I could put up with it for 6 months, never mind years. But well done Linda, that is brill and hope hubby gets on ok.

I stopped at 23:30 yesterday.....be afraid.....be very afraid! No, only joking, only had one thought of needing a cig today so far which is good. Last few days I've only been smoking half a cig whenever I had one, couldn't stomach anymore as it tasted like I'd chain smoked a full pack....wierd, but good!

Getting another prescription of Champix today as my 1st ran out yesterday.

I've smoked for about 13 years full time now, tried stopping loads in the past, and so far, this is the most confident I've felt!

Hello Ollie,

Congratulations on the best decision of your life. Your first day sounds a lot like my first day was 4 1/3 weeks ago. It has been all uphill for me. Oh I've had my moments of wanting a smoke but I am stinking determined not to. One thing I keep repeating over and over to myself, and to anyone who will listen is this..."I will NEVER smoke again!" And I mean it. 35 years was far to long to be a slave to cigarettes. Anyway:rant:

Good on ya!

Alex

Just thought I would let you all know how I am doing as i have nbot been on this forum for months. I have now been a non smoker since the 22nd of November and am doing great. I have gained around one and a half stones which is okay as I were underweight, my smell and taste has improved greatly hence the weight gain :)

I do still sometimes think about smoking especially when I am stressed, 2 weeks ago my cat was killed in front of me with 2 dogs and i could have easily grabbed a rollie - I did,nt and I am glad. I am nowhere near as stressed or anxious as a non smoker believe it or not. I am still having problems with chest infections, sore throats etc which is driving me mad and I have not taken the champix for approximately 11 weeks as it made me feel ill. Anyway for all those of you who are trying dont give up trying I smoked for 21 years and if I can give up anybody can. Good luck to you all :thumbsup:

Loads of new posts ! I can't keep up :confused:

Congrats to quitters, about to quit and quitted ages ago people.

7 weeks 3 1/2 days smoke free for me. I'm not going go all 'preachy' about it because to be perfectly honest, I think not smoking is pathetic :suspect: but I guess I'll just keep on not smoking and see what happens when I'm off the magic drug :D

I haven't had a sore throat, but I do get a frog in my throat for a couple of hours after I've had a pill - I think they may increase mucous production. Which might explain the bottom explosions :huh: or not !

Loads of new posts ! I can't keep up :confused:

Congrats to quitters, about to quit and quitted ages ago people.

7 weeks 3 1/2 days smoke free for me. I'm not going go all 'preachy' about it because to be perfectly honest, I think not smoking is pathetic :suspect: but I guess I'll just keep on not smoking and see what happens when I'm off the magic drug :D

I haven't had a sore throat, but I do get a frog in my throat for a couple of hours after I've had a pill - I think they may increase mucous production. Which might explain the bottom explosions :huh: or not !

Oh Rustee you do make me :hihi: are you having a bad day? Or no worse than usual - the same as me.

Same as usual, Gem...........mwaaaaah..............mwhaaaaaaaah..................

mwah, mwah, hic...........sob, sob, sob :huh:

hi everybody, just thought i would drop in and let you see my quit counter.

My name is ali, and I am a nicotine addict.

I have stopped nicotine for 5 months, 5 days, 23 hours, 21 minutes and 58 seconds (156 days).

I've not smoked 3139 death sticks, and saved £710.96.

I've saved 10 days, 21 hours and 37 minutes of my life.

pretty good?? i do feel proud of myself and never thought this would ever be possible. 29 years of smoking gone! if i can do it you all can.

keep up your good work everyone, hope you are feeling pretty proud of yourselves too.

ali

Hi all hope you are all ok?

Well I have enjoyed reading the posts from those who have been given up a while now, its always great.

Rustee you are doing so well, go girl. xx

Gemini hows your day been? better I hope? keeping going, and well done for not curving in and going back permantley back on the white sticks. xx

Mrs M well done for just carring on with not smoking.

Me my day has been a little better. I still feel a bit sensative emotionally, I have a sore throat, and my botty gales are really getting me down. I didnt get out of work when I wanted and was in two minds if to go for a swim however I went, it always makes me feel better. I am hoping this is just a rubbish week. But I am not GIVING IN TO TEMPTATION. XX

Spring is in the air. No more cold days and nights. Not smoking when it is minus 15 C is a lot easier than not smoking when it is plus 17 C. Stupid cigarettes. I wish I never started more than anything in the world. But it was so cool back in the 70's. Oh well, I am trying to be cool again by being a non-smoker! :)

I haven't mentioned it but I have 3 small kids, girl 8, boys 10 and 12. They HATE smoking. We have never smoked in the house or the vehicle but they just hated when I would go outside for a smoke. And I would just stink when I came back in of course. Now I really know what they were talking about because hubby stinks when he comes back in! :gag: I really keep thinking about the kids and how I not only need to quit for me but for them as well. I had my daughter at 40 and if I want to be around for her when she is in her 30's I had better keep off the smokes! Just another part of my motivation. Whatever works, right?

Hope all are doing well.

Another successful, nicotine free day for me. :clap:

Hi everyone, spent the evening reading a lot of post been following Gemini65 post and lynn right up the present day. It really is helpful. Had my second 0.5 tab and I only had half a cig this evening went through to have one and saw the half in the ashtray I had completly forgotten about it. Cigs have started tasting a bit different aswell so hope that is a good sign. My OH says he isnt noticeing any change but from reading Geminis post he should do in the next week.